Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my morgans are only worth $12?

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Yup. Melt value that is. To a coin collector they are usually worth more. Don't ever sell your silver coins to a refinery for melt $$$ unless you don't mind the loss. If you have a hundred or a few hundred silver coins and want to sell them, look for a coin collector to have it appraised, you don't know the value until you have it looked at professionally, you can always get more $$$ from your coins to a silver coin collector than just cashing them in for melt value.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting the calculator it is a really nice one for coins......

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Melt value that is. To a coin collector they are usually worth more. Don't ever sell your silver coins to a refinery for melt $$$ unless you don't mind the loss. If you have a hundred or a few hundred silver coins and want to sell them, look for a coin collector to have it appraised, you don't know the value until you have it looked at professionally, you can always get more $$$ from your coins to a silver coin collector than just cashing them in for melt value.

Now You tell me!
I did not see that much difference in mine as I did not have any key dates, nor really old coins - Just Rosies and Mercury dimes.
I don't think a collector would give much for them as they are common and worn - pulled out of circulation - not found.

Hopefully, I am wrong as I have about half left, wish I would of sold all and bouth them back earlier this year near $7 per troy oz for junk silver coins - stashed away for waiting for the spot price of silver to recover, having sold near $40 a troy oz. I don't know if they still sell them that way but used to be able to buy the bag, IIRC - called junk silver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep stash it away and wait for an increase in value.

image-4151471934.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-3906861200.jpg
    image-3906861200.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image-378811139.jpg
    image-378811139.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 74

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin and Metal Values

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

The calculator will give you the maximum value you would get, if the coin found was at the same weight as when it was minted.
It is more likely you would be paid based on the weight of the coins (grams, grains) which will be converted into ounces troy.
The amount you you receive would be based on the spot price of silver in troy ounces.
Further, they would deduct a fee for processing the silver, which is usually 5% or more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions