How many coins have you dug in a single scoop?

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Three penny's and crusty one's to boot

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Actually this just happened. One quarter 2 dimes and a penny. Another 4 scoops with a coin in each. Got that just walking back to the stairs.

sent from a sending device.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honest to God I once scooped 20penneys, in the dry sand. I'm kinda sure I probably ruined a young childs day when they probably went back looking for their buried treasure . Didn't see anyone around but that many in one spot couldn't have been an accident.

OP
OP
metalhealth

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honest to God I once scooped 20penneys, in the dry sand. I'm kinda sure I probably ruined a young childs day when they probably went back looking for their buried treasure . Didn't see anyone around but that many in one spot couldn't have been an accident.

i read somewhere recently where someone said they dug what they believe was once a roll of pennies. the paper roll was gone but just the pennies remained. would be cool to see a bunch of coins come up in the scoop like that.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 7 in one scoop in waist deep water...5 dimes, 1 quarter and 1 penny...there were 8 more coins within a foot of those 7. I asked the same question on here a couple of years ago...its a good question, glad you asked it again. :icon_thumleft:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a spot in the water last year where someone must have sat in the water and emptied their pocket, since the coins had to be piled nearly on top of one another. Got a little over $2 in a single scoop, mostly quarters, then just a couple more in another scoop.

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
27 quarters in one scoop!
It was a partial roll of quarters. One end was torn off.
I suspect it was someone's laundry coin supply, partially used.
It was in the dry sand.

I don't expect to beat that personal record anytime soon.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't detect beaches as I live in Pa. but I once dug a single hole with 25 wheat pennies and on Rosie in it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
One time, during the storms that raked the coast of CA during 1997-98 winter, I got in a zone with the following conditions: It was eroded down to bed-rock at one area on the beach. The revealed sandstone had sort of a "ribbed" patterns in it. As each wave would cycle/wash through where I was standing, it was depositing coins and metal targets into this rivulet/rib crevices. And each time I scooped, it would come up with MULTIPLE coins. This went on for an entire hour, where no scoop contained LESS than 2 coins, doh! I don't recall which scoop had the most coins (there were also fishing sinkers, nails, keys, etc.... there). But I'm guessing 7 or 8 coins each at times. Finally, after about an hour of this, I recall shaking out the sand to see "only 1" coin. And was dissapointed that I was no longer getting multiple coins still. Man that was the day!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time, during the storms that raked the coast of CA during 1997-98 winter, I got in a zone with the following conditions: It was eroded down to bed-rock at one area on the beach. The revealed sandstone had sort of a "ribbed" patterns in it. As each wave would cycle/wash through where I was standing, it was depositing coins and metal targets into this rivulet/rib crevices. And each time I scooped, it would come up with MULTIPLE coins. This went on for an entire hour, where no scoop contained LESS than 2 coins, doh! I don't recall which scoop had the most coins (there were also fishing sinkers, nails, keys, etc.... there). But I'm guessing 7 or 8 coins each at times. Finally, after about an hour of this, I recall shaking out the sand to see "only 1" coin. And was dissapointed that I was no longer getting multiple coins still. Man that was the day!
Tell us some more...love that kind of story... see Cali is getting blasted by a HUGE storm right now.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a place I know by the sea that the locals use as something of a wishing well (even though its just the open ocean), and at low tide there is just pocket change scattered in loose piles on and just under the sand. I get a shovel and scoop all the sand from the spot into a big sifter and once the sifter is full I pour some sea water onto it with a bucket - not unusual to get $4-$5 in change per cycle, mostly dimes and nickles for some reason. The place is very reliable for giving up quick cash and it's not unusual to find at least $20 there every other week in change. Per shovel scoop the most I ever picked up at once was probably 20-25 coins (but this is with a big shovel and the coins are usually concentrated in one spot, there's never any real valuable coins, mostly dimes and nickles and those horrible zinc pennies that disintegrate to oblivion in the ocean water). :)

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tell us some more...love that kind of story... see Cali is getting blasted by a HUGE storm right now.

Yeah, I love those "peak-times-thick" stories too :)

Another one that comes to mind, happened to a buddy of mine, during storms that hit in the winter of 1980 here. There's a particular beach in our area, where some geniuses had the wild idea back in the 1930s, that they could stop or limit beach erosion, by putting in giant concrete K-rail sections. K-rail looks like these:

images

The idea was, to trap in the beach sand, to protect parking lots, bathrooms, camp-sites, roads, and picnic areas they had built along this beach in the 1920s & 30's. And that if sand ever eroded down to these, that they would deflect incoming waves. I guess it worked. Because by the 1940s and '50s, they were no longer visible. Lost to time and forgotten, under multiple feet of sand. But lo & behold, some storms in 1980 eroded back down to these K-rail sections, which were set perpendicular along the beach.

My friend noticed that the closer he got to the concrete things, the more targets he was hearing. And looking at the back-side edges, and along the ends, he could see how all the sand and water rushing out/receding, was creating sort of like tide-pools, as the water was forced to run around these things. So he tried detecting right up against the edge of them, figuring they were acting as target-traps. But to no avail, since there is rebar in those things that was setting off his machine. He couldn't swing within a foot or two of the edge, without his machine getting set off.

So on a hunch, he took a random blind scoop along the edge of the k-rail. Imagine his surprise when he saw that it was filled with targets! He fished out all the coins, and tosses out the rocks, nails, sinkers, etc... Takes another swipe, SAME THING! So he turned off his machine, and set it on a rock. And for the next hour or two just went randomly scooping along the edge of this. It was acting like a giant fin in riffle board/sluice-box type of action. He ended up with something 700+ coins, of which 100 were silver. And he had 7 pieces of gold (rings, an amulet, and a big Mr. T gold chain).

The ONLY reason he had to stop, was the incoming tide chased him back out! There was still no shortage of signals. I don't think he counted how many max coins appeared in any one scoop though.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to Disneyworld last weak with the oldest great grand son and had to go to it,s a small world ,I have never seen so many coins in one spot in my whole life i wish I had my scoop with me. Still can,t get that song out of my head!

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
i'm pretty sure I have a record, the record being €17 in a single (very large) scoop, mostly €2 coins. It came from very shallow water from a lake. these coins must have been in a pocket and all fell out very close to each other.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread