Excalibur II or CZ21 Tough decision

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading practically everything ever written on this and other forums, I'm still no sure what would be the best choice. I have been using the DFX for 11 yrs. Since I live in Cape Cod now with ponds and saltwater beaches everywhere I need a water detector. Is it possible that new Excals are designed to fail . Are they inspected during the manufacturing process? It seems that it is common for the knobs to break or the coil wires to crack or coil manufacture defects. Isn't it reasonable to expect that each unit be tested before it's packaged. Are the new units made in China? My DFX has never had one problem in all these years and I paid around $1200. back then. Has anyone who purchased an Excalibur II within the past few years experienced major warranty problems and wished they didn't buy the Excal? Like the Whites DFX the Fisher CZ 21 is made in the good 'ol USA. For that reason alone I'm leaning toward the CZ 21 but I've never used a detector without a threshold sound. The nice old lady who owns J&E Enterprises in W. Yarmouth sells both brands among others and insists that the Minelab is a superior machine. Decisions,decisions... There is "Black Sand" here and there on the East facing outermost beaches and a lot of Iron in Cape Cod Bay beaches. What would you guys and gals do? What should I do? HELP!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Tom from Mass

Upvote 0

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Purchase an Excal Blue...

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't over think this. Avoid analysis paralysis. Neither is perfect but both are competent performers. Whichever you chose learn its strengths and weakness and enjoy . Develop your skills with either machine. Its the ford or Chevy scenario , opinions will vary

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Tom,
First Welcome to TNET! As GAMILLER stated it comes down to preference, the ole Chevy vs Ford scenario. I can only speak to the CZ as that is what I use along the beaches of LI, NY. I unfortunately have never tested or used an Excal; but, I will give you as much as I can regarding the CZ-21 since you will be hunting similar territory. I've been at this hobby for 2 years now and can't complain about the CZ-21. I find it to be very rugged and have banged/bumped it along the very rocky beaches of Northern LI and it just keeps on going. As regular maintenance, I always rinse it off after a day in the salt water, do my best to clean out any sand that I find around the knobs, and make sure that the battery compartment is sealed before venturing out again.
I find the unit to hit deep (12" + no problem) in the sand even on small items. Running the CZ in all metal mode though often kills me because it will consistently find deep small (and I mean small) iron pieces. In starting out with the CZ, my only issue was getting used to what it was telling me (I run an Omega 8000 as well, so took a little to just get used to tone without VDI confirmation) and doing an initial ground balance. In another one of my posts, I linked a great video that shows how simple it is to GB the unit.
I have also used my CZ in parks and schools and fresh water lakes in the Poconos without issue. Once again, I find that it hits deep...so when hunting land I tend to tone back on the sensitivity, otherwise I find myself digging way too much.
My only other piece of advice is to get a shoulder harness or mount the unit on your belt because it is heavy and it will leave you sore after a day of hunting.

I love my CZ-21 and have pulled up my share of rings, silver coins etc in comparison to my hunting partner who uses a Sovereign GT. No matter which you pick, don't get frustrated in the beginning and just learn the machine. You will reap the rewards soon enough :)

One last note...if $$ is not an issue, you may also want to consider the CTX-3030 and I would suggest to speak to that old lady and see if they would be willing to let you demo either of the machines...let them know that you will definitely be buying one from them and sometimes if they have old stock they can help your decision by letting you rent/try one for a day.
Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions regarding the CZ-21.

Happy Hunting and best of luck!
-TwoYewts

goldenoldie

Dec 16, 2014
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE ,,,,,,,
Minelab sovereign xs2,,,,,12x10 SEF & 15 in WOT
Minelab Explorer 2. 12X8 Platypus
Evolution Scoop & spade ,Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I use an old Minelab xs2 for the beach work , and I will Never Part with it.
The Excalibur is the same machine in waterproof clothing .
I have owned the CZ also and it is a very good detector . But my choice would be the Minelab Excalibur for salt water beaches. Dry sand,wet sand,black sand, it will hunt the lot without a problem.
Once you get used to the Minelab Excalibur you will be digging week signals others will walk away from.
These detectors need practice to get there full potential. But it is well worth the effort .
My old Sovereign has paid for its self time after time in gold from the beach.
Just my view :thumbsup:
Regards

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had your same question years ago - Here's what I did. I wanted the Excal at first and it was at a time when you couldn't find one in the USA. I tried every state to no avail, they were ALL sold out. My 2nd choice was the CZ21. I had nothing but trouble with the CZ. My battery compartment leaked, you can't set it down because of it's design; it always falls over. I found a ton of nails for some reason? I finally got fed up and after a year or so, I found an Excal. It was like buying a Corvette after having a Vega. To me, it was a HUGE difference. That being said, I believe Casper here on TNET uses a CZ21 and he is one of the best. So, It's all up to personal preference. IMHO - GO EXCAL, I have so many incredible finds and I always beat the competition while out hunting.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want one that will be with you as long as your Dfx has been or longer get the CZ. I've had both and like the stock CZ better than the stock Excal. In Autotune the CZ has a good threshold and is very deep, the constant changing threshold on the Excal in disc mode can take some getting used to.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a lot on the Cape - always out find the guys with the Excals - and have found lots of old gold and silver behind them too - and I live 2+ hrs away
I actually dont find much iron in Cape waters - might be alot in the dry - I dont dry hunt there
CZ21s built like a tank = no cranked wires no loose or lost knobs
its all in what you want - I hate the sounds the excals make
my cz sounds like the tr machines I started out with in the 70s
that is why Im like them 0 that is why Im comfortable with them
people with both out there - see if you can try both
I have back ups and would be glad to let you try one next yr- theres alot of people
that excals - sure one might you give theirs a swing
do you know Eleanor - the dealer in Dennisport area?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt a lot on the Cape - always out find the guys with the Excals - and have found lots of old gold and silver behind them too - and I live 2+ hrs away
I actually dont find much iron in Cape waters - might be alot in the dry - I dont dry hunt there
CZ21s built like a tank = no cranked wires no loose or lost knobs
its all in what you want - I hate the sounds the excals make
my cz sounds like the tr machines I started out with in the 70s
that is why Im like them 0 that is why Im comfortable with them
people with both out there - see if you can try both
I have back ups and would be glad to let you try one next yr- theres alot of people
that excals - sure one might you give theirs a swing
do you know Eleanor - the dealer in Dennisport area?

OK - Casper, that's it........You & I : Excal Vs. CZ21 - Atlantic Ocean 12 high noon Saturday!!!!! :laughing7:

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's not so much asking which is better - he's asking why excal charges such a large fee for such a piss poor made product. To answer the question, it benefits the manu. to use as cheap a part as possible to keep you coming back. Look at the ctx ... $2k+ for a submarine. PT Barnum said it best .... A fool and their money shall soon part.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an excalibur II in August and this has been my experience so far. Used in lake several times worked great. 3rd or 4th trip to lake it became very unstable even with the sensitivity turned very low. took it to the ocean in november and could only hunt with it with threshhold silent because of constant chatter. called minelab, they had me send it to kellyco for repair. kellyco replaced the pcb and sent it back to me very quickly. took it to the lake and it worked perfectly. got it out the other day and turned it on, threshhold was bouncing all over the place. I thought it might be the battery so i charged it overnite and tried it again with full charge and same result. so now im about to call minelab again and probably another service. i have to say its an awesome detector and would still buy another one but you dont seem to hear about as many issues with the fisher.

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two excals and a CTX. I have paid for both excals easy and have not done as well with other detectors. I have never had an issue, not one, with any of my machines.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned 3 excals in 8 years, still own 2. Only had to do 3 repairs and one was my fault when I cracked coil dropping it on concrete. Other 2 were broke wire in headphones of one and last was on the oldest, had oscillator go bad....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My go-to detector for a number of years was the CZ20. I found my share of stuff with it and wore out the rubber pin pointer a number of times. Finally, I had the factory install the metal pin point button like on the CZ21. While waiting for it to be fixed, I also bought a CZ21 with a different size coil. I don't notice any difference in the capability of both machines and pick which one to use on any particular outing based on the coil. I still like the CZ product, because it works.

I have used, but have not owned an Excal. They are slightly more expensive and seem a bit more fragile. I do not like the sound it makes on targets, but my guess is I could get used to it. If I were to buy another machine right now, I would seriously consider an Excal because it is a very capable machine and in some situations out performs the CZ. Probably, there is also something to the cliché "the grass is always greener", and I want what I don't have.

Bottom line - if you are after a VLF for the water, you cannot go far wrong with either machine. If you can stand the sound, my guidance would be slightly towards the Excal.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used both machines "a lot" and prefer the Excal simply because it offers more information to the user, is a bit more sensitive to fine/small gold, and it provides slightly better coverage.

The older CZ-20's were built like a tank but I didn't see this same quality in the newer 21's, though they are still good machines. The Excal can also be modified and upgraded with straight shafts, improved headphones, and even exchangeable coils, the CZ can't be upgraded so easily and certainly not with coils.

And I wouldn't buy a new Excal, but rather I'd buy a used one so I could go straight to the upgrades without waiting on the warranty to expire. This is what I did, bought a used old blue for $600, and even with all of the mentioned upgrades I still have less then the cost of a new one invested in this machine and it has served me very well in very harsh environments for a number of years.

saltednuts

Feb 12, 2011
york county, penn.
Detector(s) used
presently garrett gta 1000 , fisher cz5 and now a fisher cz21 10.5" coil and vibra=quatic 2 pinpointer add another cz21
just purchased a cz21 10 " coil I have used both garrett and fisher for more than 40 years. I ask the same question a while back and got same answer. having some experience I already knew the answer learn the machine know its capibilities and yours. with that said I know my old cz 5 will out hunt just about anything not because its better but because I know what its telling me. they are built like tanks and for that reason im going with the cz21

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread