Metal detecting on beach, in sea and in a heavily mineralized area

Jagerfield

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you please advice me on a good detector for use on the beach and in sea in a heavily mineralized area? I have done a lot of reading, and in the beginning I thought the Garrett Infinium was a good choice as it looks deep on land and in sea, and has a balancing feature. However, this PI machine would have me busy digging up each and every signal as it has no discrimination, and that is a lot of wasted time and hard work. Then I thought the VLF machine CTX 3030 would be the answer, till I found out that it can't handle mineralized soil well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jagerfield

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am starting to favor the Excalibur for it's price and performance.

I have been doing some searching and I found what could be a best kept secret. It is a detector called Nexus, and it seems to outperform ALL competition in hot grounds. Now it is from Bulgaria so I don't know how much their claims are realistic but they have made several YT videos showing impressive capabilities:

If the unit can do what they claim it can do then I think we have a winner here and it is even cheaper than both Garrett and Minelab. I have sent a question to the shop and video maker "emporion359" asking if the unit could be used under water which I doubt it is.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not another Nexxus thread! They've been raved about here before by a couple members. Unless you live in close proximity to Bulgaria I would stick with the Excal or CZ.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... but nothing like what is in that video in Hawaii.

I think that video was about the ATX failing in the black sand on a Mexican beach. Not Hawaii. There are a few black sand beach areas on the Big Island (Punaluu) near the volcano, but most other beaches contain black volcanic glass - which is not magnetic.

OP
OP
J

Jagerfield

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this video was shot in the Canary Islands.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy that posted that video has an email address that ends with .es, which is Spain, so maybe Spain.

Nonetheless, a normal black sand beach has nothing on that beach. That beach should be called Anti MD Iron Beach :)

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
PI detectors such as the ATX are great for heavy minelz. area but you wil have to digg, digg and digg.

CTX is great but you will need to turn on the Seawater function which will makes you loose depth... When the area is not so trashy, I preffer to take a PI like the White's TDI PRO. You will find almost everything, including microscopique trash :laughing7:

Excals are great machines but I will only recommand them if you dive, the CTX 3030 reprents a serious VLF updated version of it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread