Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not done it myself...but heard of detecting the beaches there. If I were going there I'd bring my detector anyways.

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching something on tv and they showed Avalon and had never heard anyone ever mention detecting there so it made me curious if anyone had.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've heard of people detecting there too. Let us know how you do :)

blownbudget

Greenie
Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried several times but kept getting shut down by Avalon cops and Rangers. They say that all beaches in Avalon are part of the marine preserve. You can look but not touch or take anything. The beach is very small and not much sand to hunt so it wasn't worth the hassle.
Didn't find much before getting shut down.

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried several times but kept getting shut down by Avalon cops and Rangers. They say that all beaches in Avalon are part of the marine preserve. You can look but not touch or take anything. The beach is very small and not much sand to hunt so it wasn't worth the hassle.

That was kind of what I figured.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
ForumRunner_20150207_071804.png

sent from a sending device.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

"marine preserve" ? How the h*ll are you hurting poor little marine creatures by metal detecting ? And places I've heard of with that monicker, sometimes only forbid it underwater (where fanning sand creates silt to stir, etc...) yet not on the beach above the water.

I have heard of guys detecting there no problem. Perhaps they didn't run into the same person you did. Oh well, I'm sure they're grief-stricken now (NOT!).

If what you're saying is now true, then .... I have a sneaking suspicion of how it might have gotten started/official that way.

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just there lastweek. MD'd the beaches and the inland. Found 214 clad coins in 2 1/2 days. LOTSA dropped money there..Did the beaches about 10 pm. Several cops came by but didnt say a word..No problems whatsoever..

portubob

Greenie
Jan 16, 2014
Stanton, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have detected Catalina several times and have never had a problem with the patrol. The beaches, from what I understand, are considered part of Los Angeles' beaches. I'll be detecting in about 2 weeks with my underwater detector in Descanso Bay. I hope to find some of those wedding and engagement rings the locals keep telling me about...I think I have 3 youtube videos up on my Catalina hunts. Enjoy and HH.

S

stefen

Several bottles of buried panned gold dust from the 1850's was found several years ago in some older cabins.

Recalled the story from when researching for a beach groin (export) rip-rap mining project. A geologist (copter pilot) I was consulting with died in a copter wreck...thus ending all work. He died the same day i was returning to Long Beach by an amphibian float plane and we lost both engines and landed under the St. Thomas bridge...

Great little village to visit...I was fortunate enough to explore the island (and buffalo Ranch) by jeep and see areas not open to tourists.

Tador

Aug 17, 2010
I've detected there and didn't have any trouble. I found a couple of junkers, a heavy tungsten band and an 18k with sapphire.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
portubob, oldprofessor, & tador: Didn't you read what blownbudget wrote ? Obviously you guys were lawless, and failed to ask the right people for permission. I'm sure your consciences are grief-stricken now. But not to worry: Package up all your ill-gotten gain, and send it to me. I will absolve your conscience of all guilt. And in the future: you will be sure to hunt down any one individual, like that blownbudget unfortunately ran into, and get their approval before starting !

portubob

Greenie
Jan 16, 2014
Stanton, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can't scuba dive within the Avalon Harbor but once a year when they do the harbor clean up; however, detecting the beach is fine. I posted my first scuba metal detecting trip on YouTube just last month. Didn't find the gold I was hoping to find...next time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread