First time out fnds

Aegis

Feb 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out for the first time with my Excal II for about 4 hours yesterday. This was my first md-ing ever. My scoops have not arrived just yet so I was using a small trowel to dig targets in dry sand only. Trying to get educated as to the different tones per type of target, but hard to tell the difference. My first hit was the nickle and sure was a thrill lol. Overall, the time spent was pure fun and I can't wait to get my scoops!

Aegis

Attachments

• first.jpg
    first.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good tips! I went out this morning at low tide and gave the surf a try for few. Much more confident now. The big scoop worked great and I have more balance than I thought lol. Six pull tabs, six pennies and 3 nails and some assorted wire. Surprised by the nails since I am hunting in discriminate mode. I am going to try switching to PP soon. If in PP and in the surf will I have problems with falsing? Are signals just as obvious in PP, or are they more subtle?

rainyday101 - Yes, I can see this addiction getting way worse!

Aegis

Signals are more obvious in PP, you hear everything, its almost like you are using a PI unit, if its metal under the coil you will hear it. Does translate into digging more junk though.
Also the long handled scoop works good used as a stabilizer as your swinging the excal, holding on to it with your off hand as you swing with your main, helps balance you and brace you against the waves. Just have to be aware sometimes 2-3' away your excal will give u a hit off it.

Your just starting out so I want to give you a word of warning, sooner or later your gonna get dunked, a wave is going to catch you off guard and it can be a scary as hexx moment till u regain yourself so be prepared. I have gotten tangled up in fishing line, had a dog run around me in the surf with a leash on, had surfers nail me so please just be careful.

But the worst are rip currents, they can pull you right out even if your waist deep, so its better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aegis

Aegis

Feb 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your just starting out so I want to give you a word of warning, sooner or later your gonna get dunked, a wave is going to catch you off guard and it can be a scary as hexx moment till u regain yourself so be prepared. I have gotten tangled up in fishing line, had a dog run around me in the surf with a leash on, had surfers nail me so please just be careful.

But the worst are rip currents, they can pull you right out even if your waist deep, so its better to be safe than sorry.

Indeed, never turn your back unawares when out in rough surf conditions. I can easily see how one's focus might be on targets rather than the waves. So you are right TS, eventually you are going to get whacked.

I went out for a few hours yesterday and pulled my normal targets along with the ever constant nulling. Switched to PP for awhile and found targets and some ghosts. I switched back to Disc though just for comfort and confidence. I will keep experimenting with it.

I eventually found an earring that was located in the shore trough. Not sure if it is real yet or not, but who cares! It sure looked nice in the bottom of my scoop.

Aegis

Attachments

• earring-find.jpg
    earring-find.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 100
OP
OP
Aegis

Aegis

Feb 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two more 4 hour trips out. Forced myself to stay in PP. Cleaned up on coins the first trip. Then second trip found less, but recovered my first ring. Shiny silver, no marks. One hour later recovered a big ring marked MDAS 14k. Loving PP mode. Thanks for the push - TheSleeper!

Aegis

Attachments

• 3_8_15-finds-2.jpg
    3_8_15-finds-2.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 106
  • 3_8_15-finds-1.jpg
    3_8_15-finds-1.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 3_6_15-finds-1.jpg
    3_6_15-finds-1.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 82

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats on your gold and silver rings. Nice earring too. You should think about getting an acid test kit and a diamond tester to check your finds. Also a small scale to weigh your precious metals. That's the first thing I do when I get home from a productive beach hunt.

OP
OP
Aegis

Aegis

Feb 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats on your gold and silver rings. Nice earring too. You should think about getting an acid test kit and a diamond tester to check your finds. Also a small scale to weigh your precious metals. That's the first thing I do when I get home from a productive beach hunt.

Yep, I definitely want a scale and I will look into the test kits. Thanks! I have noticed that the silver ring has gold under the wearing off silver..so thinking it might be gold too.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MDAS - Mark D
Two more 4 hour trips out. Forced myself to stay in PP. Cleaned up on coins the first trip. Then second trip found less, but recovered my first ring. Shiny silver, no marks. One hour later recovered a big ring marked MDAS 14k. Loving PP mode. Thanks for the push - TheSleeper!

Aegis
Aegis: MDAS stamped inside the band identifies the jewler who made it.
If you provide a clear picture of the inside of the ring, someone on the Tnet may be able to positively identify the maker.

14K identifies the purity of gold 14K/24K (pure gold) = 58.33%
(100 - 58.3)% = 41.67% somethings else that the gold was alloyed with to increase hardness and for color.

OP
OP
Aegis

Aegis

Feb 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MDAS - Mark D
Aegis: MDAS stamped inside the band identifies the jewler who made it.
If you provide a clear picture of the inside of the ring, someone on the Tnet may be able to positively identify the maker.

14K identifies the purity of gold 14K/24K (pure gold) = 58.33%
(100 - 58.3)% = 41.67% somethings else that the gold was alloyed with to increase hardness and for color.

Thank you for the information Sir Gala Clad!

I have attached a picture of the mark inside - (MIDAS 14k).

Looking at the second attached picture, the shiny silver one that I found first has gold color showing through its silver. Can this mean that it is its white gold wearing off? No marks on the smaller one.

Aegis

Attachments

• 3_8_15-finds-4.jpg
    3_8_15-finds-4.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 3_8_15-finds-2.jpg
    3_8_15-finds-2.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 84

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt Aegis! Welcome to the forum! The Excals are my favorite detectors! Best of Luck

OP
OP
Aegis

Aegis

Feb 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you RustyGold! Loving this hobby, this forum and my Excal. Good luck to you as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread