Scuba detection : GoPro Helmet with video lights from Sola

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all!

Here is my last creation for making underwater detection videos when I dive alone. I wanted to put some video lights due to the lack of sun below 30m (100ft).

The helmet is from Petzl, the VERTEX Vent model. Drilled to evacuate air, bubbles and water
2x Sola 3000 video lights (3000 lumens each)
1x GoPro Hero 4 black (4k full HD)
1x Red Filter from SRP

Will be testing next week if sea is ok...

923060IMG0837.jpg

195193IMG0836.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like a very professional job. How much counterbalance weight did you use on the back?

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3000 lumens, what's the battery life on that? Is the battery mounted elsewhere?

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
At the present time none :laughing7: I just put it on my head and thought: I need counter balance weight! :laughing7:

Do you have any idear of the type of lead I can use? Fishing lead?

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
3000 lumens, what's the battery life on that? Is the battery mounted elsewhere?

Batteries are include in the chassi of the Sola 3000 lights, these are the most versatile led lights I've found for underwater video flood projectors. Run 1h at full power, 2h 1/2 power etc... 265g per light of 3000 lumens

Take a look on the Sola light & motion website for more info:
Sola Video 3000 Flood - Light & Motion

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the buoyancy from the lights and go pro would negate any balance issues when underwater.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
What about mounting the light batteries back there?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the buoyancy from the lights and go pro would negate any balance issues when underwater.

Interesting- it may, I don't know how buoyant they are. It might just take additional strapping to keep the rig in place.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What about mounting the light batteries back there?

Light batteries are in the lightd and they are factory sealed, can't be removed.... maybe I will put a scuba weight pocket, or I see that they are counterweights for Army helmets (counterweight for the night vision binoculars).

x-tek_counter_weight_pocket.jpg

51R-BBFtOkL.jpg

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Light batteries are in the lightd and they are factory sealed, can't be removed.... maybe I will put a scuba weight pocket, or I see that they are counterweights for Army helmets (counterweight for the night vision binoculars).

I used a roll of dimes for my counterweight on the NVG's, but that wasn't dealing with buoyancy issues, and if it came to that, I had bigger problems.

Put it in a big tub of salt water and see how it floats.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting- it may, I don't know how buoyant they are. It might just take additional strapping to keep the rig in place.
Then again I could be completely wrong. I guess we will find out after it's maiden voyage. Cool rig though!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I've choosed the petzl helmet for the stripping system + the plastic adjustable ring that cercle the head. There is almost Foam in the helmet to avoid buoyancy problem + water pressure that could change the inside size.

IMG_0840.jpg

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks great!

I would take it for a test run before mounting any counter-weights. Play with light position to make sure you aren't getting shadow from the gopro or the front of the helmet.

How did the test dive and video go with your buddy?

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks great!

I would take it for a test run before mounting any counter-weights. Play with light position to make sure you aren't getting shadow from the gopro or the front of the helmet.

How did the test dive and video go with your buddy?

Rain storm, strong wind...and a few sunny days but 0 visibility underwater. So not tested the tray yet. here is a picture of it, mount with the securities for the light (same for the helmet)

I have tested the helmet in my garage, and no shadow from the gopro except on lateral due to the >110Β° beam angle of the Sola lights in the Air (90Β° in the water). Anyway, it won't be seen on the video shoots.

680876IMG0822.jpg

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will you be diving in the Mediterranean? I can see a lot of sea weed getting caught on the lights.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Will you be diving in the Mediterranean? I can see a lot of sea weed getting caught on the lights.

yep sir, in the Med sea, in the Swiss lakes and the Rhone river during summer time also. I scuba detect in the Adriatic sea also and the Egean sea in Greece. Lights are new, no dive yet :laughing7:

We don't have any sea weed issue in here... they are very small, nothing compared to the one I've seen in Monteray Bay CA!

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest: