Damn the Frozen Waters – First Day of Spring

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I could not take it any longer. Saturday I drove 250 miles to find a detectable beach and did nothing but wonder when the sand will “go out” this winter. Well Sunday being the first day of Spring...I headed out for another 150 mile drive in search of a detectable beach. Going over the Sagamore Bridge, I saw the Cape Cod Canal was FROZEN over, a very rare happening, about once every 20 years.

Temp was just below freezing and snow was in the forecast. Undaunted, I drove on. Closer to Boston my new van was dwarfed by the pile of snow at all intersections, roofs with 10-15 foot ice icicles hanging and snow up to the middle of the of first floor doors and winds. The webcam I used to monitor the beach I was headed to had been shut down. It was hard to find an entrance to the parking lot, but I did; I had arrived.

Gear on, I headed to the water hoping to find a cut. Watching the breaking wave I spotted the area I thought best to finally enjoy a day of detecting. It did not take long and my first target was a 1902 Buffalo, soon I had dug several pieces of can slaw, a few more coins and then a gold initial ring. A 1944 Walking liberty was my next surprise. A lantern charm, another gold ring, a '57 class, a few more neat item and my third gold...another initial ring. Close to 4 hours into the hunt, which felt like 100 hours on my body but only 1 hour in my mind I hardly noticed the snow that was falling. I headed out...my last target was another gold initial ring.

The it was off for coffee and a warm area. Back into the car I was in for a much longer drive home because of the snowfall. 35-40mph on the 65 posted highway. Safe at home, some supper and a nap before heading to bed. My dreams were of many more SPRING days for myself and others that were with me in person or spirit.

Thanks for bearing with me through the horrible winter. Spring is here and yielding treasures.

Attachments

• RS 3 1 15.jpg
    RS 3 1 15.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 0

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Fantastic hunt!! You will probably be back to the beach again tomorrow. ALMOST makes me want to drive to Boston. (NOT) 4 Gold in the scoop made it all worth while I am sure. I ALMOST went hunting today locally, but it was not to be. My local beach cam is operational and I haven't seen a cut all winter. Oh, for a good Noreaster.... That is unless you live in the Noreast... lol HH

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How wonderful that you finally found a beach and some good finds to boot.

Roadrunner007

Feb 23, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQUINOX 800 BHID300, Spectra V3i, TDI Pro, 6000Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A whole lot of Treasure....Very Nice!!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
You did great WW!! Some fine Treasure and love all that Gold!! A lot of driving but you sure made it pay off in the end...:thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7.jpg 24.jpg could that lantern be a crackerjack prize?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't the waters off Cape Cod that are warmed by the Gulf Stream (like the public beach near Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution be detectabe). Decades ago, I was astonished when I saw tropical fish and horse shoe crabs there, while skin diving during the winter.

I could not take it any longer. Saturday I drove 250 miles to find a detectable beach and did nothing but wonder when the sand will “go out” this winter. Well Sunday being the first day of Spring...I headed out for another 150 mile drive in search of a detectable beach. Going over the Sagamore Bridge, I saw the Cape Cod Canal was FROZEN over, a very rare happening, about once every 20 years.

Temp was just below freezing and snow was in the forecast. Undaunted, I drove on. Closer to Boston my new van was dwarfed by the pile of snow at all intersections, roofs with 10-15 foot ice icicles hanging and snow up to the middle of the of first floor doors and winds. The webcam I used to monitor the beach I was headed to had been shut down. It was hard to find an entrance to the parking lot, but I did; I had arrived.

Gear on, I headed to the water hoping to find a cut. Watching the breaking wave I spotted the area I thought best to finally enjoy a day of detecting. It did not take long and my first target was a 1902 Buffalo, soon I had dug several pieces of can slaw, a few more coins and then a gold initial ring. A 1944 Walking liberty was my next surprise. A lantern charm, another gold ring, a '57 class, a few more neat item and my third gold...another initial ring. Close to 4 hours into the hunt, which felt like 100 hours on my body but only 1 hour in my mind I hardly noticed the snow that was falling. I headed out...my last target was another gold initial ring.

The it was off for coffee and a warm area. Back into the car I was in for a much longer drive home because of the snowfall. 35-40mph on the 65 posted highway. Safe at home, some supper and a nap before heading to bed. My dreams were of many more SPRING days for myself and others that were with me in person or spirit.

Thanks for bearing with me through the horrible winter. Spring is here and yielding treasures.

OP
OP
WaterWalker

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
True about the Nantucket Sound on the south coast of Cape Cod, although I have seen some ice and slushie ice. The pictures were on the Bay (North) side of the Cape. Does not change the fact of the great influx of sand. The sand being eroded from the Bay side dunes is just been drug into the water and not carried out beyond detecting depth, At low tide one can walk out several hundred feet before getting ones feet wet, even during the summer.

The lantern is similar to the Monopoly piece of 1935, but that piece was molded pot metal. Vintage 1910 Large Railroad Lantern - missing the celluloid lens. Cracker Jack Toy Prize is what it is. Casper knows his history, I have to guess he found several - even some in their original Carcker Jack Box!

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are Excellent Finds and WORTHY of a few more likes...Especially after the effort you put in...If I could I'd hit the like response a dozen times! There have been over two hundred views of your post and only three likes plus some very nice comments from a few of us. Days like this don't happen very often.

Don't be so stingy folks..... give the man a like ...for a great hunt.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread