Anderson straight shaft questions

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Anderson Straight Shaft on my Excal II. I'm having a couple minor issues with it.

My 10 inch coil won't stay in the bottom of the lower shaft. Any ideas to solve this would be appreciated.

Also the spring loaded adjustment pin (used to make length adjustments) rusted apart. The lower shaft will not stay connected to the upper shaft. Neither Lowes or Tractor Supply does not carry them. Anybody know where to find one?

Upvote 0

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an Anderson Straight Shaft on my Excal II. I'm having a couple minor issues with it.

My 10 inch coil won't stay in the bottom of the lower shaft. Any ideas to solve this would be appreciated.

Also the spring loaded adjustment pin (used to make length adjustments) rusted apart. The lower shaft will not stay connected to the upper shaft. Neither Lowes or Tractor Supply does not carry them. Anybody know where to find one?

Just email Anderson and they will take care of your case.

Those issues have been partially corrected with the carbon fiber version. Time to upgrade ?

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I replaced the spring loaded adjustment pin(s), when I installed a knob guard on my Excal ll more than a year ago.
I highly recommend the using plastic bolts with plastic spin nuts (used to hold down the toilet to the seal), which can be purchased at any hardware store. They are cheap and are more secure than the spin loaded pins in rough surf.

Most likely the plastic fastner which secures the 10 inch coil to the lower coil has been stripped and needs to be replaced./
You should also replace the rubber bushing that provide friction to keep the coil from flopping at the same time.
You can get a kit from Kellyco

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also get a PLUGGER rod connector. Personally, i think a plastic bolt is best.... those springs rust and collect a lot of sand in there. Some have even used the spring clips that are for pool equipment. Not sure about your Anderson coil question...... just replace with a plastic bolt from any hardware store.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
You can also get a PLUGGER rod connector. Personally, i think a plastic bolt is best.... those springs rust and collect a lot of sand in there. Some have even used the spring clips that are for pool equipment. Not sure about your Anderson coil question...... just replace with a plastic bolt from any hardware store.

Carbon fiber series of Anderson shaft only have plastic rod connectors. I do prefere the quality of coiltecks ones...

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
47th, I'm not sure this is where your problem is or not, sorta sounds like it though. Has the lower rod which mounts to the coil, broken loose from where it joins the lower shaft? Its hard to explain but I have had them break loose at the joint where the coil mount shaft goes into the lower carbon fiber shaft, and had to take it apart and re-epoxy it.

And as Sir Gala clad mentioned the plastic bolts and nuts are the way to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread