Simple but proud fix

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I went on a 9 hr binge beach detecting spree last night. At about the 8th hr I bent down to pick up a quarter ( I use an Excal with a hip mount) & suddenly my detector started gurgling, then died. I knew I still had some battery time left so what heck? I basically wasn't getting anything out of the headphones & it would occasionally make a crackle sound. I start wiggling the coil wires & no change. Well that was a plus.... Then I started wiggling the head phones (just upgraded them). That wasn't it. Good..... I then re-enacted what I did when it went south. I bent down & I saw that the battery wiring that goes from the pack to the Excal hit my chest as I leaned over & just then it started gurgling again. Problem found. Hopefully it's at the battery connector end & not the Excal end, and it was. I spent a few minutes doing the wiggle test to confirm. Found a sweet spot, taped it up & continued for another hr.
When I got home I CAREFULLY took off the plug & the thick protective wire covering. There is a blue & a brown wire with a simple solder job to the pronged connector that screws onto the battery. About 1" upstream on the blue wire it was broken underneath the insulation. Snip, strip, re-solder. NO HELP.....Then I realized I turned "ON" the sensitivity setting and not the threshold (lol) which is the on/off.. (I was in a rush to ops check it---stupid me---) a little silicon, reassembly & ALL BETTER.. Simple work but nerve racking because the machine isn't cheap and not warrantied.

SOOOO, if you have an Excal & you should happen to have this happen to you, take note that it's just two wires and a solder job easy breezy..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strong work! helpful too! TY