Another scoop thread.

Pennypacker

Banned
May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your moans, I need some help choosing a scoop.

1. The obvious choice would be a stealth scoop. Normally I'm all for getting the best, but holy smokes that is an expensive shovel. I'm looking at a 920iX Hybrid on the bay, its $411 CAD dollars with shipping, not including customs. Say I wanted to splurge for a nice handle, then I would be looking at $583 PLUS customs, well over $600 for a shovel. lol
I can blow a stack of bills with the best of them, but I am kinda taken aback by this. They have smaller models, and an older model, but I wouldn't want to "settle" for anything in that snack bracket.

2. A more rational choice is a Stavr scoop. Most of their models would cost me about $225 shipped, plus customs. The hardest part is deciding which model, as there are several. Something like the Monstrik or Evroexcavator might do. I have done a fair amount of research on these, I think they are sturdy enough.

3. "SKIF" sand scoop. As you many know there are other sellers of scoops on eBay from the Ukraine. Most are obviously not as nice as the Stavr, perhaps copies, however this "SKIF" scoop in particular looks fairly decent, albeit maybe a little rough around the edges. A great price of $140 shipped plus customs. Is anyone using one of these? He seems to have sold a fair amount, the feedback is positive, although the feedback is generally left right after purchase and may not accurately reflect performance.
(google "skif scoop ebay" if you want to see it.)

All of the scoops mentioned are comparable in size, 2mm metal thickness and have similar structural support. (Although the sunspot is the biggest @9" and has a couple extra gussets on the inside I think)
I will be using it with a 10" Excalibur in the freshwater. (I may use it on the dry beach too, but first and foremost I would like a sturdy water digger.)
Digging will be sand mostly first, AFAIK, but I'm sure I will end up in some silt and clay, potentially weeds or a few rocks as well.

So ya I'm kinda disappointed with the stealthscoop pricing, but I would sure like to have one, they are sexy. I like to think that a top quality digging implement would last a long time, therefor not really needing a lifetime warranty if it inflates the price. Perhaps I am mistaken, not sure what to expect yet as far as durability goes with these. I will agree you get what you pay for, to a certain extent. I certainly don't have to spend $600 to get a decent land shovel that's for sure.

So maybe you can talk me into the stealth, or perhaps provide a review of the SKIF.

P.S. I kinda like those round "Henry" scoops or the one made by "Evolution", but at around 6" I feel they are too small for water detecting. I may be interested in a 7" or 8" if such a thing exists.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Looks too awkward and too much upper arm work for me...that style of digging backwards like a badger for your target. Wouldn't work for me in the water either. Nice design though.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK you sold me on the bigger scoop, this was my gut feeling as well. I'm going for gold, so go big or go home I suppose.

I just bought the 920iX Hybrid scoop. The warranty would be nice should I ever need it.

They also have a model with the "toe pad", but I wasn't about to start adding more options (beyond the hybrid option), I'm assuming that stepping on the back of the basket is fine as it appears to be the same angle as the "toe pad"?

Thanks all for your input.

Excellent Choice! Their warranty is incredible. I sent them an older model Sunspot Stealth I had used (abused) for several years digging in packed gravel/clay and prying big rocks up out of the way. It was bent up and had torn welds. I sent it to them and they welded it back up even better than before and reshaped it and it was back to me in no time flat complete with all new hardware at no cost to me other than my cost to ship it to them.

I liked that scoop so much I added an angled 720i to the arsenal.

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread