Flying with gear

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When flying with airlines what is a good bag or case to use for my water/sand shovel? I'd prefer a lockable hard case as I'm all to familiar with rampies and their sticky fingers. I have a 3ft wooden handle and a 9.5 TRex. Also has anyone been harassed by the over glorified security cops called TSA while bringing their detectors as carry-on baggage? No way in hell I'm checking 2200.00 worth of detector. I've searched google and have a grasp on the detector issues but I'm more curious about traveling with the sand scoop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had no issues carrying my detector. I had it all taken apart and packed neatly in my carry on bag. They didn't even give it a second thought when it went through the X-ray machine. I also called before I took it to the airport and there is no rule against taking a metal detector on a plane.

I can't really say much about the scoop. I had a short, homemade one that I checked in my suitcase, it arrived safe and sound.

Safe travels and HH

Vdubguy

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
When I put the detector in a long gun case it got searched every time and was sent to oversize luggage claim. Now I break down the Xcal and carry it on. The 2 piece scoop goes in an army duffel bag with mask, fins, and other dive gear. Never had a problem.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only flew once with my MXT. I could see the wheels spinning in the TSA agent's face trying to figure out by the x-ray what I had in my carry on. I leaned over a bit and said "metal detector". His eyebrows went up and he passed it through.
I had to put the shaft in checked luggage, too long for the carry-on.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
any suggestions on a travel bag or something for my scoop? I know it's going to be checked luggage, I just need a travel case, and it doesnt break down...

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
I have a scoop that's specifically designated as my travel scoop like the one shown. It breaks down into two sections and fits very nicely in my checked luggage. The one modification I made was to drill two additional holes where the two pieces fit together and add two screws so as to make the joint stronger.

709minitravelbig.jpg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTG travel model - have had one for like 15 yrs now and is my travel scoop of choice
always take 2 CZ21s in carry on and another in suitcase or a PI Pro

I have a scoop that's specifically designated as my travel scoop like the one shown. It breaks down into two sections and fits very nicely in my checked luggage. The one modification I made was to drill two additional holes where the two pieces fit together and add two screws so as to make the joint stronger.

View attachment 1168411

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will Pm you some of my articles with travel stories I wrote for ideas and inspiration

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions