Silver, Gold, and MIT

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

Tonight's hunt was pretty awesome. Calm seas here in the Caribbean this week. I decided to change up where I hunt in the water and stayed in waist deep water, didn't go out to my chin like I normally do. It paid off pretty darn good.

I dug the usual pull tabs and bottle caps.

First great target was a ring that I thought was junk by the way the tones were on my AT Pro. Mid, High, Mid, High. Upon closer inspired see it is stamped 925 AND 585! This is a first for me, Silver and Gold in one ring! The pictures are before and after cleaning. Weighs in at 12.5 grams!

The second great find was a MIT 2015 class ring. It has a name inscribed on the inside and I have already found the owner online and have sent them a message. I will post any updates when I get them.

Best of luck to everyone and happy hunting!

Vdubguy
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434169895.808103.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434169909.358988.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434169925.593180.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434169938.461075.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434169950.045443.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434169961.230260.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434169973.280432.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1434169986.048247.jpg

Upvote 0

Ham

Apr 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found those rings with an AT Pro in salt water?

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Brass Rat is one the world's 3 most recognizable rings along with West Point and The Super Bowl rings.

The ring is offered in several sizes, in various
gold purities: 10, 14 or 18 carat (42%, 58% or 75% gold alloy) as well as white gold and Celestrium (jeweler's steel). The Celestrium ring is often called "The Stainless Steel Rat," a joking reference to the series of novels by Harry Harrison, or "Tin Rat" by older alumni.

Each year the class votes in members to the ring committee. Each class changes the top of the ring with special meaning events for the class. There is a great history behind the Beaver becoming MIT's mascot.

A fabulous find that you may be able to track down the owner. The ring was probably lost during Spring Break. Too bad commencement was held on June 5th. The owner is probably out looking for a job or on a beach swinging a metal detector. LOL

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Two real nice finds!
Love that 925/14K piece!

OP
OP
Vdubguy

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found those rings with an AT Pro in salt water?

Yes, I am able to run the machine in standard mode, all metal, no discrim and sensitivity backed down two notches. With these settings, I am able to receive little to no feedback and false-ing.

OP
OP
Vdubguy

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WaterWalker, thank you for the information. I had no idea the it was such a process for an MIT class ring to me designed every year. Hopefully it will be back in the hands of it's owner soon.

HH

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Vdubguy; Thanks for returning that MIT ring. I live in Boston and go by it every day. Heck I even took courses there. The owner will be very grateful I'm sure. Surprised you found it down there. Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
WOW!!! That silver/gold ring is gorgeous!!:notworthy:

I love the style of it , also.

Nice work on recovering and returning the MIT class ring. :headbang:

Lorraine

OP
OP
Vdubguy

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to clarify, I found the person who lost the ring online (facebook) and sent them a message. I still haven't heard back from this person. I am continuing to try and contact this person so that I can return their ring. I will update any ring return updates when I get them.

HH

Vdubguy

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice rings... Like the designer ring..VC!!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew that was a ring from Israel the second I saw it. I found one of similar design without the gold and my research shows that this style is quite common in Israeli jewelry for some reason.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread