Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
Hi Everyone,

I have been beach hunting on and off for a few years now and I have very little to show for it at the beach. :-\ What am I doing wrong? ??? I live in Houston, Tx so I hit the Galveston beaches ever so often and we like to go to Destin Florida about two or three times a year. I always find loose change, but have yet to find any jewlery. I have tried seaching the dry sand, along the waters edge and even wading out to chest level. (I have a Fisher Impulse underwater detector) it's a PI machine so it has great depth. Sometimes TOO good of depth. I have pulled beer cans up from about two foot before. Any pointers on the best way to hunt a beach and best areas to hunt would be greatly appreciated. I am going back to Destin the first week in June.

Thanks,
Frank

Upvote 0

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
When your in the ocean, do you find pull tabs, sinkers, and nickles? If you are you should be finding some gold. Also if your finding green quarters, that would be a good spot to hit hard, should be gold there somewhere.

HH 8) surfrat

treasurenut

Oct 19, 2006
FL
Detector(s) used
White DFX, Minelab Excaliber II, Aquapulse
First I do not claim to be an expert but I will just tell you what I look for.

1. Any cuts on the beach will also be in the water where sand has been moved from, this is normally a good place to hunt the wet sand and the water.

2. Look for rocks or shelf on the beach, this will many times trap the good stuff and you will find the jewelry here in the wet sand and in the water. If there is sand the jewelry if not very fresh drop will go deep and it will be hard to find until a storm comes and takes the sand away.

3. Low tide will help you get deeper in the water and will be the time to find the good stuff. Look at when your lowe tide is before going hunting and make the hunt about 1 hour before low tide up til 2-3 hours after low tide.

5. I normally say that I have to find 50 - 100 coins per ring, it is not always true but what is true is if you do not find a lot of coins where you are there will probably not be any jewelry. So think about that when huntting.

4. Dig everything, with a PI machine you should do this anyway.

5. This is the most important. Be in the right place at the right time.

( you cannot help it but luck does follow smart people so if you follow some of the above suggestions I think it will work)

I have found most of the rings I have in the water up to chest deep and in the wet sand. The more you go and detect the better your chances.

Attachments

• 05-04-07_1730.jpg
    05-04-07_1730.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 604

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
treasurenut said:
First I do not claim to be an expert but I will just tell you what I look for.

1. Any cuts on the beach will also be in the water where sand has been moved from, this is normally a good place to hunt the wet sand and the water.

2. Look for rocks or shelf on the beach, this will many times trap the good stuff and you will find the jewelry here in the wet sand and in the water. If there is sand the jewelry if not very fresh drop will go deep and it will be hard to find until a storm comes and takes the sand away.

3. Low tide will help you get deeper in the water and will be the time to find the good stuff. Look at when your lowe tide is before going hunting and make the hunt about 1 hour before low tide up til 2-3 hours after low tide.

5. I normally say that I have to find 50 - 100 coins per ring, it is not always true but what is true is if you do not find a lot of coins where you are there will probably not be any jewelry. So think about that when huntting.

4. Dig everything, with a PI machine you should do this anyway.

5. This is the most important. Be in the right place at the right time.

( you cannot help it but luck does follow smart people so if you follow some of the above suggestions I think it will work)

I have found most of the rings I have in the water up to chest deep and in the wet sand. The more you go and detect the better your chances.

Excellent information. I always look for rocks, or corse sand. Besides looking for cuts, I view up and down the beach and look for horsehoe type cuts. Usually right off these areas the water is much deeper because the sand was moved and you'll hit targets that have been buried a long time. Usually a lot of sinkers and greenies.

HH 8) surfrat

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Where is an expert on beach hunting when
you need one? ;)

Sandman, Sandman, Sandman.

Hope you get what your looking for.

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

treasurenut

Oct 19, 2006
FL
Detector(s) used
Re: Surfrat

I am not sure if you remember me but I think we meet in Miami beach the other week, I was there with Sunny, we meet in the parking lot just for a second before everybody hit the water.

Well hi again hope to see you down there again soon.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Re: Surfrat

treasurenut said:
I am not sure if you remember me but I think we meet in Miami beach the other week, I was there with Sunny, we meet in the parking lot just for a second before everybody hit the water.

Well hi again hope to see you down there again soon.

Yeah, I remember now. Sonny was showing you the fanning method for recovering targets. It was nice meeting you. Let me know when you get down again, or I'll here from Sonny.

HH 8) surfrat

OP
OP
T

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher F2
Thanks Guys! For all the great suggestions and help. You just can't beat this forum for friendly and great help. Thanks again and Good Luck and Happy Hunting to everyone. I will post any lost Spanish treasure I recover in Florida or at least the pennies, green quarters, and costume jewlery ;D

ctcfl

Dec 23, 2006
crestview,fl.
Detector(s) used
white's mxt
Destin is tough to hunt right now, still in beach restoration mode. Look for the busy areas or go a little east into Walton county, can still find a few beaches without new sand. Good luck and HH.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman is back due to I just couldn't stay away any longer. You need to even check out the new sand that is dredged up from the deeper waters as it may have shipwreck coins or jewerly. I know what you mean by the PI's being very deep. When you get older you can't dig like the young guys.

HH,
Sandman

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi Sandman pleased to see you back again I have been a bit slack of late but I think I had better start doing my bit as well. When detecting in the water try the narrowband where the waves dump on the waters edge.Dig every weak faint signal. You will generally find that good gold jewelry gives a weaker signal than most things, dont think because the signal is weak it is junk. Detect an hour or so each side of the lowest tides and look out for gutters in the water. If you find an area of old coins concentrate in that area more than likely that will be where you will find jewelry good hunting seeya Neilo.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Neilo, it's good to be back. If anyone knows how to strip a beach of the goodies it's you.

Frank, I thought more info was needed for your lack of luck on finding any gold. Your detector is fine and will do the job if you put the coil over it. Your finds will improve the more time you can spend hunting. I suggest you hit the beach at first light to try to beat the other hunters to the finds that could be there. Follow Neilo's advice and don't sweep to fast. Keep the coil near the sand the full sweep and not raise it on the ends, your not swinging a grass whip.

Something that hasn't been touched on is maybe the PI is to much detector. By that I mean it locates lots of targets and time spent digging junk is time not spent sweeping more area hoping to come across a piece of gold. Finds are maximazed by covering acres of sand and the more productive sand covered equals the more gold in your pouch. Hope this helps.

HH,
Sandman

treasurenut

Oct 19, 2006
FL
Detector(s) used
I can say that going slow with the coil will bring other signals that you might not have hear the first time. Last night the Bracelet I only got because I was moving the coil very slow and then when you here the threshold just break for second the go back over the spot and once it gets a signal it will hold on to it and improve it.

Enjoy 24k gold

Attachments

• 24k braclet small.JPG
    24k braclet small.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 341
  • 24k braclet small.JPG
    24k braclet small.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 336
OP
OP
T

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher F2
Awesome Guys!! Thanks a million! I am definitely going to slow the swing and hug the sand. In Destin I really haven't had the problem of tons of targets. I am really amazed at how clean they keep those beautiful beaches. Galveston is another story! Lots and lots of junk! :D Unfortunately I only have my little Bounty Hunter 505 for discriminating out the junk. Works fine up on the dry sand but likes salt water about as much as a cat! Screams like crazy if I get to close to the water. The two detectors together make a fairly nice pair for the beach. I hunt the water with the Fisher and switch off to the BH once the Fisher starts really getting heavy. Thanks again guys!

Treasure-Diver
aka Frank ::)

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
i know a few places down here by corpus christi.i havent md but maybe someday. make a trip you will like it.all beach area,find lots of older things looking for indian artifacts.i'll show you some pics when i make it back to Rockport.1870's like ghosttown used to be a town until a hurricane anyway

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread