Only posting cause its a little slow here ...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and thought some might find interesting
this is a pic from the 1800s from area Ive been hitting - it could be the exact old wharf but can not yet prove this - there were many like this along the Cape coast back then - some caught on fire or were destroyed by storms - a hurricane took what was left of them out in 1938 -
P787d.jpg
my keeper finds from other day there
large grommet lower left I believe is from a sail - little bell was a surprise - I had a piece of iron in my scoop - pulled it out and saw bell under it - have no idea what it went to
I found a abalone(shell) button the trip from week before when I found the large cents - it was in scoop with a piece of iron too - to me its still a relic -holes in it are off center so it looks like it was home made
the large "A" - I wonder if it was a fishing net tool - see lines worn in it ?- I found one similar a few yrs ago there
lead object to its left with 2 holes in it ???- home made sinker or net weight or net tool???-it also has grooves worn into its ends
some sort of lead seal above the "A" with 128 on it - they brought goods in - especially fish - to these wharfs - don't know if that what its from
finds14th.JPG
you can see better pics of the better finds in my other post from the 16th

most of the junk - some large iron pieces not shown - I say junk but most of it is lead pieces - which I'll scrap eventually
they used this lead for all kinds of stuff - boat and ship patches - fishing and net weights - ive found lead seals for like canning jars (before they used rubber and found out lead was toxic)
I think brass object to right of large grommet is an ox nut - reason being - I found the jaw bone of a large animal out there - could not fit it in my pouch (hoping to find it again)
Looked up jaw bones and think its from a cow
don't know what brass disc is yet in upper left - it was attached to a huge iron conglomerate about as big as your head (theres a lot of huge iron out there )
need to finish breaking the rest of the encrustation off it - might be another grommet or washer - but theres not much for newer trash out there
14thjunk.JPG
I need a couple of calm days there - with a negative tide and with good viz to do a better job

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sepcap7.jpg here is pic of "A" shaped object I found last year in same area - may have to
visit a few of the old maritime museums in the area and see if they can identify - unless someone here can

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The A with 3 holes in it may have been at the front of the boat as support? Just a thought...

Last edited:
OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A's" are made of a lead -not a real soft lead but not hard enough to be a support

The A with 3 holes in it may have been at the from of the boat as support? Just a thought...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the old stuff...thanks for posting.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Thats a cool pic. Makes you daydream of potential finds only thing your not day dreaming. Thanks for post

sent from a sending device

LISteve

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2014
Long Island NY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect that lead triangle may be some sort of a rope guide that is for a rope without lateral stress. Just to keep it from flailing around on the decks, and far less robust that a standard fairlead, which range from small to several feet in height and can withstand enormous tension. From Wikipedia: A padeye is a device often found on boats that a line runs through, or provides an attachment point. It is a kind of fairlead and often is bolted or welded to the deck or hull of a boat.

It could be...or it's something totally different!

Steve NY

Attachments

• Padeye.jpg
    Padeye.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 77

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've had a ton of great and interesting finds from there! That old picture is awesome. I hope you get a calm, clear, negative tide soon so we may see more of your finds from this spot.

HH

Vdubguy

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm wondering if it might be from the A TEAM before they relocated to Florida.

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if it might be from the A TEAM before they relocated to Florida.

Was waitin for someone to say the Avengers:tongue3:

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen similar lead pieces not exactly like this but similar on old wood decoys as keels.

Cheers - Koffee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread