Advice on detectors that can handle wet/black sands (MXT?)

GoldFounder

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2015
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster II
Whites Goldmaster 3
Whites GMT
Whites V3i
Whites TDI-Pro (Modded)
Minelab SD2200V2
Minelab GP Extreme
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good day my fellow metal detecting brethren!!

I'm seeking advice on metal detectors that can easily handle the wet sands of most beaches. I've been detecting for many years but am relatively new to beach detecting.
Mostly all my detecting has focused on gold prospecting with the occasional relic/coin hunting, and hence all 3 of my detectors are gold prospecting machines (White's GMT, White's Goldmaster II and a Minelab SD-2200V2)
But because I've moved closer to the coast for work I've tried beach detecting about 10 times at quite a few different locations along the California coast with my White's GMT detector, with some success.

I've noticed the GMT handles the dunes just fine but it struggles badly in the wet sand of most the beaches I've tried. So I'm looking to purchase a detector that can handle the wet sands.
I don't really plan on digging underwater so being waterproof isn't a must but it would obviously be nice.

I was looking at the White's MXT to fit this role and also to be a coin detector. But after doing more research I'm finding some conflicting information. I've seen some sources saying the MXT should handle the wet beaches fine, while others say they become quite erratic.

Does anyone have any experience using the MXT on the beach? Would I be dissapointed with its performance in wet sand?

Also could anyone recommend any particular detectors that do handle the wet/black sands easily?

Would possibly would the Pulse-Induction of my Minelab SD help on the wet sand?(Have found a 14K white gold band near a mountain lake with it)

Any and all advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

("I have too many detectors" - Said Nobody Ever)

Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were using a PI Mike you might feel differently about a PPer as well as a magnet. Most using VLFs dont realize how tiny of a iron target a PI can pick up and just how deep. A good many PPers are mini PIs so the operate find on the beach....... but make sure you get one thats water proof.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are a Whited fan the Dual Field is an awesome machine. I actually like its threshold and target reaponse better than the Shark, but it's big 12" coil is cumbersome to use in surf and it is buoyant. Since you already have the minelab with big coil I would use it for wet sand and if you ever wanted to hunt in water/surf an 8" Shark maneuvers a lot easier.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel pin pointers are useless at the beach. Scoop, scan, dump, scan pile, confirm, kick with foot, pickup gold ring.
I find a pin pointer VERY useful when you're trying to find a stud earring that keeps falling through the scoop.....especially out in the water.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A bit of hardware cloth in the scoop takes care of that issue most times

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then the scoop doesn't sift very well, at least with our course sand here in SoCal.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just a couple inches of HC in the corner and it'll sift fine

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most..... and i say most earring studs i find arent gold or dont have diamonds......... so if its that tiny i let it go after a couple of scoops. I have a pretty good tech. thou so most targets i get in two scoops. Worst ones to chase are shot sinkers, tiny melted pieces of aluminum, and pennies. Most PPer are PI based and work well as long as they are water proof or you dont dunk um. You will get a little cross chatter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread