Upvote 0

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Did mission beach last night. -1.1. Didn't find anything big in the wet .. venturing again tonight..

S

stefen

Worked HB many times when I lived in OC

The rip tides at HB are really bad...you need to have a buddy system just in case your caught in one...

Hell man, wear floaties if you have too.

Nov 20, 2009
Just wondering if anyone in the So Cal area is planing on hitting the minus tide. I'm thinking of hitting huntington just off beach blvd. Peak minus tide is at 5:00 am. Hope to see some others out there. Send me a pm.
Im going to Balboa, l did well there under a cut last night. Im going there first then HB. Let me know if you want to go.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit La Jolla Shores early this morning. Got over $8 in change but no good jewelry. Only a cheapy earring. The surf area was dead of targets.......not even bad ones.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
What are you using? My excal with a wot can't balance there

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal with a WOT!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some days it will "talk" a little but doesn't seem to effect performance. You get used to it after a while.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The super minus tides don't necessarily bode better for detecting. If there's been no erosion going on, then the only thing that super minus tides do, is expose LOTS MORE STERILE SAND TO WALK AROUND AND FIND NOTHING in . :)

There's got to be swell/storm/wind action to make the wet sand reveal targets d/t erosion.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Aint that the truth.

OP
OP
C

Ccarson

Dec 20, 2014
El Monte,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt pro,surf pi pro,trx pinpointer
Minelab eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The super minus tides don't necessarily bode better for detecting. If there's been no erosion going on, then the only thing that super minus tides do, is expose LOTS MORE STERILE SAND TO WALK AROUND AND FIND NOTHING in . :)

There's got to be swell/storm/wind action to make the wet sand reveal targets d/t erosion.

Well even thou I didn't find anything but trash that dosent mean that there's not somthing good out there waiting for me to find it. It dosent half to be old just nice. I did see a beautiful sunrise and something else you don't see in very often in So Cal. An empty freeway :thumbsup:

mikeinOC1

Jul 3, 2006
Orange County CA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Minelab Excalibur, Fisher CZ21
If you get down into the state beach area you might be skirting the beach curfew time in that stretch. I am interested if you run into any problems. I almost had some hassles with the cops near the pier a few times when it was a bit before 5 am. Putting their high beam spotlights out over the water etc. . Also got really hassled by cops down at Corona Del Mar one time when I stayed just a bit beyond 10 pm. They are real hardcases over there. Threatened to confiscate my detector Good luck getting to the sand in HB before someone else manages to slip in. Though maybe these issues will be more applicable come Sunday morning.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Well even thou I didn't find anything but trash that dosent mean that there's not somthing good out there waiting for me to find it. It dosent half to be old just nice....

Sure. Well it depends on what "trash" you're speaking of. If it's light weight foil type stuff, then not-likely that gold (which is dense & heavy) will be in that mother nature's groupings of targets.

If you get a chance, try to bump into anyone down there in So. CA who was detecting during the 1982-83 storms. If you wanna hear some stories that will knock your socks off ! There were guys doing 100 silver coins, and a dozen+ gold items per day, for days-on-end. And each day's detecting would end when the tide chased you back out, or you simply couldn't push your body any further. Not d/t lack of continuing targets. It was insane. So when you've ever been in good erosion conditions like that, it becomes easy to poo-poo mediocre soft sand light-target conditions from then on. Doh !

OP
OP
C

Ccarson

Dec 20, 2014
El Monte,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt pro,surf pi pro,trx pinpointer
Minelab eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure. Well it depends on what "trash" you're speaking of. If it's light weight foil type stuff, then not-likely that gold (which is dense & heavy) will be in that mother nature's groupings of targets.

If you get a chance, try to bump into anyone down there in So. CA who was detecting during the 1982-83 storms. If you wanna hear some stories that will knock your socks off ! There were guys doing 100 silver coins, and a dozen+ gold items per day, for days-on-end. And each day's detecting would end when the tide chased you back out, or you simply couldn't push your body any further. Not d/t lack of continuing targets. It was insane. So when you've ever been in good erosion conditions like that, it becomes easy to poo-poo mediocre soft sand light-target conditions from then on. Doh !

1982-83. Wow I'm not that old and have only been detecting for a cupple years. But thanks for the info. I read that the last time u posted it. Swells storms and wind conditions don't always half to be perfect to find recent drops. It sounds like you might only hit the beach once every 18years when the conditions are perfect. Lol. Thanks but I'll keep trying. Both because I'm a glutton for punishment and I don't have anything better to do.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There were some phenomenal El Nino cuts in (I think) 2006 or 2007. I think I remember Little Corona Beach lost about four or five feet of sand. I got pounds of clad and a ton of silver rings and fishing weights (some gold too at the time).

MIke

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, You hit the nail on the head with your post! It's been sanded in all week! Was a waste of time to venture out to far on the wet sand. Most of the fresh drop targets were 20 yards from the berm. I did get a of exercise this week:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... Swells storms and wind conditions don't always half to be perfect to find recent drops. It sounds like you might only hit the beach once every 18years when the conditions are perfect. ....

If I sounded as if it's a waste of time to go out, unless there's phenomenal cuts/erosion, I didn't mean to say that. Sure I go out all the time, even if the erosion is only producing recent season's groupings. Because while I abhor clad, and would much prefer old coins (silver), yet the difference at the beach is, if you start to get grouping of 50 to 100+ coins on the wet (albeit even if only clad), then the chance of gold jewelry starts to show up in the statistics. But if those "groupings" of targets are all light weight, then I will usually poo-poo it and skip the beach that day (or do dry sand instead, etc...)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
There were some phenomenal El Nino cuts in (I think) 2006 or 2007. I think I remember Little Corona Beach lost about four or five feet of sand. I got pounds of clad and a ton of silver rings and fishing weights (some gold too at the time).

MIke

Mike, yes, another couple of good years occurred after the phenomenal 82-83 event. But they were shorter lived . Eg.: a single week, versus several months. Like in '86-87, and yes again in 97-98.

The '97-98 ones were fun ! I got to a certain beach when it was already a bit after low tide (had spent my time trying other beaches that morning). And when I arrived at this one certain beach, I was shocked to see a cut that was as tall as a 2-story house! Literrally carved right back into the sand dunes ! For the next 3 or 4 glorious hours, I dug non-stop. Multiple coins every scoop. It was insane. I was eventually driven out by the incoming tide. But not before getting 466 coins, of which 46 were silver, over 100 wheaties, and a 1914 $2.50 gold ! In retrospect, if I had arrived at that beach first, and worked it out (instead of only having arrived after the low zenith), I would have easily topped 1000 coins. Not many gold rings though at that day's event (only 1 or 2). Because it's a dumpy locals beach, not a touristy one. Doh! Word spread in the days that followed, and hundreds more silver coins got harvested before that week was out. It started sanding back in a few days later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread