Did Minelab and Fisher raise prices?

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I live in Belgium (Europe...€zone) and my dealer has a new pricelist:

Minelab Excalibur €1675 = $1840

Fisher cz-21 = €1499 = $1650

The dealer is not a greedy ******* who decided to hike up the prices, something must be up!

I see that excalibur still sells for $1400 in the US so whats the deal? did Minelab and Fisher decide to make more money or ..?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has nothing to do with manufactures, the euro is dropping against the dollar, it is close to 12 year low..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
I dont buy this argument.

Minelab has different policy per continent, so judging by this logic excal should be 25% cheaper in the US since OZ dollar has been losing ground vs USD.

I doubt excl cost more than $200 to make so its illogical that a huge company like Minelab would lower itself to changing prices according to the exchange rate.

I think excl will cost $1700 in the US too, very shortly

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt excl cost more than $200 to make so its illogical that a huge company like Minelab would lower itself to changing prices according to the exchange rate.

Any company that does not continuously consider exchange rates in its international pricing will soon go bankrupt.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Any company that does not continuously consider exchange rates in its international pricing will soon go bankrupt.

yes and no

in this case the company is located in OZ.

Surging USD creates more profits for Minelab in the US, while falling € lowers the profits in Europe. One compensates another

€1700 for Excal is absurd. Completely absurd.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Fiher went up on the CZ many months back and I sold my one year old one for 1/2 of the new price that I'm now regretting.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surging USD creates more profits for Minelab in the US, while falling € lowers the profits in Europe. One compensates another

€1700 for Excal is absurd. Completely absurd.

Companies are generally not in the habit of subsidizing the price of a product in one country, with the price in another.

A company expects a particular profit margin for a product, to satisfy its operating margins, and to provide satisfaction to its investors. That profit margin is considered inclusive of exchange rates. If for example a manufacturer offers a product for sale in a country where the exchange rate is 1:1 relative to the country of origin... and the exchange rate later drops, so that the currency in the country of sale is only worth half as much, the manufacturer needs to double the price of the object to maintain the same margin.

Companies are not charities. They don't typically subsidize the price of products against exchange rate variations.

If they did, they'd go out of business.

There are other price pressure factors at play too. One of which is the cost of labor in east-asian factories, which is steadily rising as the standard of living in those countries improves.

Economies are complex.

If you find the price of an excal absurd... don't buy one. When enough people don't but one.. the manufacturer will have to consider ways to reduce his margin, or his production costs, in order to make it cheaper so that you do buy one.

Free markets are kinda awesome that way.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont buy this argument.

Minelab has different policy per continent, so judging by this logic excal should be 25% cheaper in the US since OZ dollar has been losing ground vs USD.

I think excl will cost $1700 in the US too, very shortly

The euro has dropped over 24% in the last year alone vs the dollar, the euro is at is lowest point vs the dollar in over 13 years. Any company that doesn't adjust prices over the continuous decline of the euro is crazy.

Minelab is not a private company, they are a subsidiary of the major international corporation Codan, there isn't a major international corporation that doesn't take the decline of the euro into consideration in their prices...

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Xcal has had two or three price increases in the past 3 or 4 years here in the U.S. Odd...... when the dollar gets better it doesnt go down. Seems things only know how to go up.

Romido

Jan 13, 2013
Bremerhaven
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000, Minelab Souvereign, Vibra-Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Germany Excal II 1299€
Italy the same price with Extras
Netherland 1200€

Look at eb ...y. or the Metaldetectingshops

Gesendet von meinem RAZR HD mit Tapatalk

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Germany Excal II 1299€
Netherland 1200€

these must be from the old stock

check out westcoastdetecting, this guy is the dealer for Western Europe. Once the old stock has been sold out the prices will go up in other shops too, I have no doubt about it

CMan1

Nov 21, 2014
Treasure Coast 1715 Florida
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday Greek vote Euro. 1.1027 gap down. after attachment.
This is 15 minute chart Globex.

Attachments

• euro.JPG
    euro.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, the Excal's gonna cost a million Euros now. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
Germany Excal II 1299€
Netherland 1200€

update:

the new price of excl is now all over western europe, €1700 in the Netherlands and in Germany now too

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thats around $2040 USD. Wow!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both Netherlands and Germany use Euros...

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Need

When demand meets or exceeds supply, there is no reason for a manufacturer to reduce its selling price, nor is there reason for that manufacturer to improve its product.

The Xcal has had two or three price increases in the past 3 or 4 years here in the U.S. Odd...... when the dollar gets better it doesnt go down. Seems things only know how to go up.

OP
OP
Acquisitor

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
In the UK 20% up !!!!!!!!!unreal!!!!

RR

and GBP has been much more stable vs USD than the €

I knew that the argument about the € losing ground was invalid

something tells me that the prices in the US will go up soon as well

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I needed a new one, I would pay it. For now the 2 I have work just fine.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread