Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hello;

So, basically any manmade artifact 50+ years old including coins, cobs, watches, rings, including (surface finds i.e beaches) are ILLEGAL to remove?

tarpon, so too is the CA state parks "boiler-plate" cultural heritage verbage. Yet you can hunt beaches till you're blue in the face here. And I've got news for you: None of us in any state (to my knowledge) has ever had a man in a trench coat , flashing federal credentials, "leap out from hiding behind a rock or tree" armed with a calculator, to do the math on the ages of coins found .

If anyone here has ever had this man in the trench coat stop them, fishing through their apron looking at coin-dates, please let me know.

Thus tarpon: This is sort of one of those "spitting on sidewalks in new york" types of laws. If it still really bothers you, here's the solution: stick the coin back in the ground. Presto, problem solved.

OP
OP
T

tarpon123

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2010
Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Fischer F2
camel's nose under tent... they are doing the same with fishing restrictions ... tallyhoo then for my 1964 penny!

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hmmm, not a chance I would tell anyone what I had for finds...they'll have to go through the trouble of getting a search warrant first. To hell with this law! Lol

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That "law" was instituted in case they want to lay claim to someone's treasure, if found. They wont waste their time bird-dogging folks for pocket change. Its only there if someone finds something big and they hear about it.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That "law" was instituted in case they want to lay claim to someone's treasure, if found. They wont waste their time bird-dogging folks for pocket change. Its only there if someone finds something big and they hear about it.

This is why silence is golden...

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes my name is 14k, says so right here in this ring.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"What gold officer, I never find anything but pull tabs and loose change."

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
by the so called --50 year rule --all 90% silver coins of 1964 and earlier (silver dimes , quarters and halves) are now illegal to find and remove * all wheat cents are like wise illegal to remove since they were last made in 1959* --- and 1965 or earlier -- old beaver tail pull tabs off a beer / soda can would even qualify as a man made item--"50 year old artifact" ... so I say we start mailing in those --50 year old beavertail pulltab artifacts to the state archies for proper historical "cataloging" and storage..

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had police stop and talk to me at the beach, ask if I found anything good when I told them no, they said well maybe you will soon and then moved on..... Police have more important things to do then worry about what someone found with a detector at the beach. In 9+ years never once has a police officer told me to turn anything in.... I have returned jewelry that was lost and identified by owners too.....

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had police stop and talk to me at the beach, ask if I found anything good when I told them no, they said well maybe you will soon and then moved on..... Police have more important things to do then worry about what someone found with a detector at the beach. In 9+ years never once has a police officer told me to turn anything in.... I have returned jewelry that was lost and identified by owners too.....
Many of the guys by me that metal detect are police. It helps them relax and relieve stress.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That "law" was instituted in case they want to lay claim to someone's treasure, if found. ....

Right. It's one of those things where there's "intent" and there's "reality". Same for laws that, for example, forbid "harvesting" or "removing" or "collecting". OF COURSE those are meant so that no one can start commercially harvesting sand , or to take home the park benches, etc.. Were they ever meant to forbid your grade school daughter from picking up a seashell ? Of course not.

Thus with this 50 yr, or cultural heritage thing, you *might* find some purist archie to get his panties in a wad (if you asked enough purist archies enough silly questions). But realistically, it's rarely ever applied to random fumble finger losses. Sure: If you're snooping around an obvious historic sensitive monument. But no, not for beaches, etc.... Just keep it mum if you (gasp) find a 1964 penny.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most everything i find was dropped within the last 2 weeks or so. so nothing to worry about

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
FS 267.115

Once upon a time there was an isolated finds related law, but it's not around anymore.

They changed it to talk about anything of archeological value a while ago. (they got tired of me mailing in my 1958-59 pennies while declaring the public beach as an historical site)

You won't find a '50' year old rule/law in the statutes. Not there anymore.

So, hunt away, enjoy, and keep your modern non historical stuff...

In Part:

267.115 Objects of historical or archaeological value.—The division shall acquire, maintain, preserve, interpret, exhibit, and make available for study objects which have intrinsic historical or archaeological value relating to the history, government, or culture of the state. Such objects may include tangible personal property of historical or archaeological value. Objects acquired under this section belong to the state, and title to such objects is vested in the division.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With this logic some older pull tabs are considered historic artifacts and are illegal to remove from the beach. :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, detectorist find and return more items than any other people do...Ive returned rings, phones, even a dog collar with tags...who else returns stuff the way we do?...nobody.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With this logic some older pull tabs are considered historic artifacts and are illegal to remove from the beach. :laughing7:
True...sad but true. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread