What do I wear for clothes and shoes????

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt the Los Angeles beaches in my swim suit, swim shirt, and barefoot. I'd hit the wet sands at low tide and work a grid up to the high tide line. Either work the tide in or out in all metal mode and dig it all. I always hunt alone too. PI machines can interfere with the Excal II. Good luck

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wear a pair of shorts with pockets, a long sleeve SPF 100+ shirt a pair of flip flops and my lucky hat. In the winter I wear neoprene waders with 1000 gram thinsulate lug soles, a custom dry top with long rubber insulated gloves glued and sealed on to the sleeves, and my lucky hat.

Last edited:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks ago, I wore shorts.
My skin has stopped peeling , and my toe has healed from dropping my Trex on it.
Some kind of footware and a shirt every time now.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I don't wear anything at all, people leave me alone.:laughing7:

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had the Excal I'd wear my blue thong to match........really...with yellow dockers to highlight the coil cover...8-)
And....it's ok to go alone....you'll soon have company for sure.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my new Excal II, I know I'm gonna want mods. Got my scoop and my hip holster. What do I wear for surf hunting??? New England beaches. Any advice out there? Also should I go alone my first time?
I wear long sleeve sun guard shirt, SPF 50+, rash guard shorts, and my shoes I chose from gators, dive boots, and water shoes....I wear a hat with neck scarf and a pair of light weight gloves.

I wear a camelpac with 2 liters of water (3/4 filled with water then frozen, remaining water added at time of hunt) and my detector bungee attaches to ring on camelpac...

I use D-rings and attach a small tube of sunscreen to the camelpac to re-apply sun screen to face.

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TH, never knew about rash guard shorts....but sure do know about the rash. Has kept me from hunting the next day more than once. SS

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
_______________ in summer and lots of axle grease

revised upon reflection

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spandex,cut-off t shirt, with the holy fish net looking shirt over it, 80's style head band, and neon orange converse shoes with wide striped tube sox almost to my knees! and a dr seuss hat!:dontknow: I feel like I'm missing something!

Actually, I've never hunted a real beach. Just the small beaches at the lake. So, I had to come up with something!

Edit....Actually, I just remembered, I did hunt a couple beaches in NJ years ago. I almost forgot! or wanted to forget! Sry NJ!

Last edited:

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Depends on time. Night hunts I use a hoodie to keep sand off my neck from the scoop. Headlamp, shorts and 3mm neoprene water boots . Side pouch that zippers and is meshed. ..day Hunt pretty much the same minus the hoodie and head lamp. I wear a ball cap and spray a 50 sunscreen on.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent you a PM with articles Ive written - theres a few with what to wear under different conditions up here

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dress up like one of the zombies on "The Walking Dead" and kind of drag my right leg behind me and when people approach to ask questions I drop my detector, outstretch my arms and walk toward them growling. All kidding aside, I definitely wear good shoes like dive boots that have a good sole. If not, sooner or later you will end up wishing you had. Also I wear a "Hoorag". It's kind of a tube like bandana that completely surrounds my neck to protect it from getting any "redder". And of course my lucky hat which serves a duel purpose to protect my bald head. Skin cancer is a real concern. Good luck!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
If you are going to be out in the sun - a shirt, hat, and sunglasses are a must. Also wear shoes that can get wet because when you get hot you can always step in the ocean to help cool off.

as far as shorts - boardshorts are the best because they are made to get wet and dry fast. if you need rash guard shorts, go to walmart and buy them for $10. The surf/workout companies sell the exact same ones for $50. i wear the rash guard shorts when i surf but not when I MD.

For a shirt - I just wear a tshirt that I dont mind getting wet. You can wear a rash guard but i find they are more hot as they are tight to the skin. I have a few loose dry fit shirts I got at target, which are really nice and they were cheap. but think light colors like white to block the sun.

sunscreen - if you need it. i dont wear it because i am usually out of there by 8/9am at the latest.

when its winter i dont go in the water unless i am surfing. i have every wetsuit imaginable but they are not comfortable:)

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Summer: all depends on where and when. Be comfortable and safe from sun and water creatures. ALWAYS wear foot protection from fish hooks, glass and sharp metal objects. Also it will be easier to dig with boots on.

Winter:

Attachments

• winter gear L.JPG
    winter gear L.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 130
  • winter gear 2L.JPG
    winter gear 2L.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 138

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Summer: all depends on where and when. Be comfortable and safe from sun and water creatures. ALWAYS wear foot protection from fish hooks, glass and sharp metal objects. Also it will be easier to dig with boots on.

Winter:

Wow... It must be really cold there.
Must take you a half hour to put all that on. heh

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on your tolerance in the warmer months - I wear swim shorts with lycra under them to prevent rash and prevent jellyfish going up my suit
I wear dive boots with hard rubber soles - I wear tee shirt with either a lite dive jacket or a sweat shirt over it - keeps some warmth - but keeps sun off me and jelly fish off
will wear thin gloves to prevent cuts
cold water
dive jacket with 7mm farmer john dive wet suit - 7mm boots - 7mm gloves
will wear a sweatshirt and swim trunks under my suit
apr2715.JPG

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Cape Cod Bay froze over last winter, no way to enter the water for almost 2 weeks.
Water temp is not as bad as air temp and wind. Below 34F air temp I hesitate, 32F is a no go these days.
It is bad when the water has to be cracked off the waders before getting out of them.
It is even worst when you have to break the fresh water ice to get into the water to detect.
Others wear the 7mil wet suits,vests and gloves. My waders are 5mil / 1000gr Thinsulate in the boots.
It takes longer to get out of the wet waders and into the car to get warm again then to get ready to go into the water.
At least it seems that way

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Summer in water: 7mm booties with semi-hard soles, cargo shorts, t-shirt, plenty of sunscreen, hat and sunglasses if I'm not going deep, back pack with supplies the same way.
Summer in dry: same setup but sometimes I just go in tennis shoes....especially if my booties are still wet from the last hunt!
Winter in water: full wetsuit instead of summer outfit, no need for the sunscreen.
Winter in dry: long jeans, long sleeve shirt (sometimes a thermal type) and/or sweatshirt depending on temps, sunscreen, hat, back pack, sometimes gloves if it's cold. If it's a real nasty rainy day, I'll go with the water outfit.
With night hunts, I subtract the sunscreen and add a headlamp, and heavier clothing as needed. I partner up if going beyond thigh deep in the water of if it's a high crime area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread