Indian Shores Beach this weekend.

Oct 12, 2012
Hendersonville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Teknetics Alpha
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well finally getting back down to the beach this weekend. I'm looking for anyone that might have some advice about this area or beach searching in general, since I rarely get to go to the beach and take the MD. I'm trying to find a good way to waterproof my Ace 350, but not having too much luck. Not really interested in destroying my new MD, but I hear you can get pretty lucky in the water about chest deep. I was also thinking about putting my pin pointer in a bag, but that's not going to get me very deep. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to a salt water beach, get a better detector for that use. That 350 will just squawk in the water and probably in the wet sand also unless you can turn down the sensitivity enough.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea, I am not feeling it with the 350 in the salt water... You will hate it, and too much effort, and equal risk in ruining your new machine. Bring it, just stick with the dry sand, you will still do well up there.

certman68

Aug 10, 2015
Florida Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well finally getting back down to the beach this weekend. I'm looking for anyone that might have some advice about this area or beach searching in general, since I rarely get to go to the beach and take the MD. I'm trying to find a good way to waterproof my Ace 350, but not having too much luck. Not really interested in destroying my new MD, but I hear you can get pretty lucky in the water about chest deep. I was also thinking about putting my pin pointer in a bag, but that's not going to get me very deep. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with @cudamark, if you're planning on going in the water and submerging your unit, make sure it's waterproof. Most everyone down here uses the Excal II or CZ-21 to give you an idea what works well. (Yes PI's like the Sand Shark and others work great too but you'll dig so many bobby pins that you'll lose a lot of time digging trash instead of searching). I think Myers Metal Detectors in Tampa rents units. There may be other places as well closer to the beach. You'll need a scoop too!

If you're going to work the dry sand, expect a ton of trash. Bobby pins, bottle caps, pull tabs, foil drink bags, etc. Yes, you may find clad and if lucky jewelry. Personally, I've had little luck in the dry sand along the towel line where people sit and hang out. Go early before everyone get there. It's easier to work and more respectful.

If you go in the water, shuffle your feet. It's still stingray season. Keep an eye out for the occasional jellyfish. You should not have other marine life to worry about if you're only going neck deep.

Personally, I don't worry about the tides. I go when I can. The height difference from low to high tide isn't that much in my opinion to worry about. I snorkel if I want to get deeper.

Other than that, work from ankle deep to neck deep. Try to dig everything that you're sure isn't iron. On great days you'll find a ring. On most days a little clad and costume jewelry. On all days strive to make it about the beautiful weather and environment rather than what you find.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

OP
OP
Tenn treasure hunter
Oct 12, 2012
Hendersonville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Teknetics Alpha
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much for the advice. I know the ace 350's Coil is waterproof. Just wish I had a way to waterproof the box.

Myers does rent the sand shark but it's like $150 a week.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're ace wont cut it in the water, or the wet sand, but you should do well on all major beaches in dry sand.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're ace wont cut it in the water, or the wet sand, but you should do well on all major beaches in dry sand.

^^^ this is correct. the 350 will start having seizures when you hit the wet sand and unusable in the saltwater. you would be wasting your time to try to waterproof it for saltwater.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about my old 250?
250 was my first detector and I tried the wet sand...falsed like crazy...I had to turn the sens down to two bars and it even falsed a little then...majority of targets in wet sand are deep.

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What everyone is saying about the falsing of your detector in the wet sand and water will drive you crazy. If you want to see for yourself what we're talking about, carry your detector down to the wet sand and you will notice all kinds of false signals and erratic behavior from your detector to the point you will think something is wrong with it. Your detector is a single frequency detector. It needs to have more than one frequency to operate correctly in the salt water. But, even if it didn't, I wouldn't attempt to water proof it and get it in the water. Somehow it never fails some salt water and moisture would eventually find a way in and ruin your new detector. Spend some time watching where the crowds hang out in the dry sand and go back to those places. Most beaches have some volleyball nets, don't forget to check those areas also.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the advice. I know the ace 350's Coil is waterproof. Just wish I had a way to waterproof the box.

Myers does rent the sand shark but it's like $150 a week.

OMG... 150 a week ?
Sheesh...
That's ridiculous.

That's about 50 bucks more than the darn thing is prolly worth after being rented and rented.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget about a heavy sand scoop with a long handle.

If you are in anything over knee deep water, you have to have one to dig unless you have gills and your pockets are full of lead.

Best of luck to you on the hunt.

You will love the current weather, it's like wearing a hot wet wool blanket outside.

Plan on hunting early morning and late evening. Off the beach by 10, not back on till 5. Otherwise you will cook your brain...

OP
OP
Tenn treasure hunter
Oct 12, 2012
Hendersonville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Teknetics Alpha
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well that just goes to show I have still have a lot to learn about this hobby. Maybe I will get lucky on the dry sand, happy just to be able to get out and swing. I'm hoping the area I'm in doesn't get hit too too hard by the locals. I was on Clearwater beach at the beginning of summer and saw three people on the beach at 5pm.

I ended up making my own sand scoop out of a galvanized air duct. We'll see how it does. Would post pic but it's already boxed up and ready to ship.

Yeah, I am going to call that Bill Jacksons place mentioned by lizardfish. We'll see what his rates are.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
All of those beaches are hit pretty hard and most are replenished. Don't rent the sand shark, you will spend your entire time digging up pieces of crab traps...trust me, I know. If you are going to stick the dry sand I would look into buying a White's Coinmaster Pro. Only costs 300 bucks or so and is a pretty user friendly machine. The pin pointer on it is pretty accurate. Only problem is you can't take it anywhere near the wet sand.

I think you will be frustrated hunting the water. You can go 30minutes at a time with silence.

OP
OP
Tenn treasure hunter
Oct 12, 2012
Hendersonville TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Teknetics Alpha
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I read about them being replenished in 2012. That sucks. But from my understanding bellair beach wasn't replenished, thought I might give it a try. Also heard about people finding pieces of sunken ship before that off of Indian rocks beach. Last time we were there I had a guy telling me about a beach where the locals go, on the harbor side right below where the bridge crosses over from clear water.

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, the beach replenishment was just done last year. If you're going to (dry sand) beach hunt, stick to the more populated ones that have the biggest turnover of visitors like Clearwater, Maderia, Treasure Island, and St. Petersburg Beach. Also, Look for the beach parks that are located up and down Gulf Boulevard, the larger the parking lot, the bigger turnover per day of beach goers. Schools are back in service now, so although these parks will be less active during the week, just like the hotels, they will still get slammed on the weekends. So Like said before, hit them early AM or late in the day to avoid the crowds and heat, many of the locals know this and are out there before sunup or just after dinner into the early evening. SS

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandswimmer hit it dead on. I agree with everything he said. I know the area you are talking about before Clearwater. There are no "secret local spots." The locals go where the most people are and there is no hiding that. My best advice, honestly. Is go to Treasure Island. The walk from the parking lot to the Gulf is really long. I would move away from the chairs and find a hotel to the right or left. You can walk up and down and may randomly find something. There will be lots of targets, mostly trash. However, that will be more fun then swinging around and not hitting anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread