First a bit of misfortune but it turned out pretty good (and with a yellow glow ;) )

j.m.k

Jun 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detecting was put on hold when my trusty but high mileage AT Pro finally gave in and demanded some attention:

I refused to give up and buy a new coil as the old one was still technically solid :) So I did some crafting:

Repair seemed to hold up nicely and I took it for a test run:

Needless to say I was very happy with the results :D double gold, SS spinner ring and 4x silver.

After the test run was done I proceeded to check out this old remote beach which has been forgotten long ago after water level has risen to cover all of the sand area and it has become inaccessible from the land. Anyway the story goes a relative of mine was swimming there as a child some 40+ years ago when someone dropped a gold ring in the water. They tried to search for it but had no luck back then. After I heard the story I just had to go for a genuine treasure hunt for this "lost beach" and the mysterious gold ring :D gotta love the setting...here's some pics from the trip:

The long lost ring turned out to be unusually wide womens 18K band from 1961

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1536374iko7yr08du.gif

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Dag that is one Wide band, and I love the dating on the inside!! How much does it weight in at...Looks HEAVY!

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful! Would love to find an old swimming hole. Any gators where you are??

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
JMK, that is a beautiful ring find; congrats on finding the gold and silver:hello2:

Thanks for the great pics..looks like a serene area to just relax and go after the treasure.

You did a great job on repairing the coil section.:headbang:

Lorraine

OP
OP
J

j.m.k

Jun 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you enjoyed the pics. It was a great place to detect..didn't see a soul while I was there and gladly no gators where I live :D just the occasional fish :)

Just weighted the ring and it's 8,7g. It's a women's size so small diameter.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great pics, rings and story.

A bit on the repair would be nice and might help someone in the same predicament.
Type of plastic and glue used.
How you bent the new brackets.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunting trifecta!....great repair, story, and hunt!
Is there a return in order?, or has that ship sailed?...

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome gold ring! Love it!!
TFS and HH

OP
OP
J

j.m.k

Jun 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest I'm not sure yet if I can recommend the methods I used to repair the coil or not :P It has survived two hunts now with the glue intact but it will need a lot more hours to be sure it all stays together. But here goes anyway if someone needs to try for themselves :)

- The plastic bits were cut from a plastic box with dremel (no idea what kind of plastic it was) it had the needed 90 degree bends.
- The smaller bends to match the coil surface were done pressing the pieces against a heated old screwdriver attached to a workbench - very hi-tech huh! :D
- The most important part was the glue and so far it seems I made a good choice with Loctite All Plastics super glue with a separate activator
- Before doin' the glu'n make sure you use a rough sanding paper on both the coil and the repair bits' surface
- The rest is drilling a hole for the coil bolt to go through and maybe tidying the thing a bit on the edges etc as you see necessary :)

About the ring return; I'm afraid the ship has sailed..no one knows who the person was who lost the ring and it only has the first name carved into it :P a return would have made a great ending for the story..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread