How Sanded In is the Central Florida Gulf Coast?

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I was hoping to hear from you since we're in the same general area. Let's hope the winter and the record El Nino bring a few storms that remove sand (but hopefully do no further damage).

Good luck out there. I was at Anna Maria last Saturday and it was a bust. Surf was a little rough. Huge river of water close to the high tide line all along Manatee Beach and then a big sandbar prior before the water. In the water you could stand and just keep sinking. Way too sandy. Found less than 50 cents there and in front of the Sandbar Restaurant further north. :(

Have we met?? sorry I'm bad with names? If I didn't take detecting trips my finds would be really pitiful! very little gold for me on the home front this year.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Recently spent 12 straight hours hunting east coast, 2 bucks in clad and a one dollar SB Anthony coin. Got more than the other guys I met. It's new drops and fishing gear, deep sand everywhere. Time to thing outside the box.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
It is definitely a 5. Even the sand shark goes long periods of time with nothing. I recently went up to Virginia Beach and brought the detector. I felt like I was in target heaven up there. Quite the contrast. The gulf coast is nothing but scraps of scarps...I'm outside the box.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely a 5. Even the sand shark goes long periods of time with nothing. I recently went up to Virginia Beach and brought the detector. I felt like I was in target heaven up there. Quite the contrast. The gulf coast is nothing but scraps of scarps...I'm outside the box.
Road trip to Virginia Beach, whos in?...pounded doesn't even describe how hard the West Coast of Florida has been getting detected.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Soflhunter

Sep 15, 2015
SoFl
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 ~ CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
South Florida one day there was a beach cut and the next weekend it was all hills of sand-lol
Need a good storm....Im waiting:BangHead:

Smalls

Jan 10, 2013
Sarasota, FL
Primary Interest:
ive been hitting the sarasota beaches pretty hard over the last few weeks. it's gotten worse and worse. ive found a few real nice intercoastal beaches that have been treating me VERY well. seems to be the only way to find stuff over here lately :/

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Er? What's sanded in mean?

On an island I have sand all the time? Is it something that fluctuates in Fl?

Sand fluctuates everywhere BVI.
Unless severe calm sets in... sand never stops moving...
Not just in water...
Even in the middle of the desert... sand never stops.
Sand is almost "alive" in a sense.

Most beaches change from season to season...
In summer months more sand is "in"...
During winter when currents and winds are up... Sand moves "out"...
In MOST cases anyways.

The reason after a storm detecting is "better" in some areas is the washout/cuts into the banks of sand that has been dormant and buried are now "churned" and "spit up"... and "on the move"...
I love winter storms...
Itsa real biatch when the wind is whipping and its freezing bitter wet wind.... but can be well worth the pain.

BV... here we have entire islands that will emerge in the gulf waters.... slowly grow to be emense... they will begin to grow bushes and small trees...
mangroves and what have you....
maybe last several years... even decades...
Then a current change... the sands begin to shift and thisland is slowly swallowed up again.... for ? ? ? long... who knows.
Till the next time...
The sand is again... "on the move".

Wanna see it ? load google earth and search for "passage key"... off of "Egmont key" here...
Then use the history "slider" to go back and forth in time.

Islands that are on top of coral heads... etc... like low lying Keys and such... do not change as much it seems.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out over the weekend hoping the storm would move some sand... it did... it piled more up on shore :(

It was so deep I gave up after 10 minutes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions