Coiltek cancels WOT sales

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you hear of it?

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave....... are they reacting like water in the coil? I ask that because i know a guy whose on his 3rd replacement.

Dew

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Dew,

Yes I've heard of a few with but mostly just run like crap in the surf and wetsand.
Some just falsing everywhere right out of the box.
Lots of dissatisfied customers so I discontinued installing them or their connectors a while back.
Numerous requests made to simply replace a leaking connector was ignored repeatedly so I cut all ties with them and won't install their products again.

Dave

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only WOTS I am aware of with issues are those made for the Sovereign/Excals....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
must be a recent issue.
Mine. purchased in 2000'ish worked great for the 10 Years I had one on my sovereign
in & out of Water (fresh lake & creek Water).

I wonder if it's like the SunRay Probes .
the more power detectors were capable of, the more issues with stability.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is still working fine and it is over 5 years old...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had a WOT on an Excal and E-trac fail. Both are the old 2 spoke type. The Excal version is less than two years old. I've e-mailed Coiltek but no response yet. As much bad I'm hearing about the newer version, I'm not sure I want one!

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
So far my 15" Sovereign on an EXCAL is working just fine. I've racked about 1,000 hours on it so far in water and dry. No problems.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per the engineer at Kellyco who is in contact with Coiltec corporate working on the issue, it is only the WOTs for the Excals/Sovereigns that are in question, not all WOT coils...

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just had a 15 inch wot coil installed on my excal and I get a lot of falsing , can only run in all metal in wet sand and water. SOme times when I run my scoop over the coil I get no signal on my head set. Im looking for some help. Called Kelly co. they said no such problem to them with wot coils. THanks Joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call or email the Kellyco Repair Center, dont talk to anyone but the repair center, they are the ones you need to talk, there are issues with the WOT coils for Excals/Sovereign.

If coil is not reporting your scoop every time you scan it there is an issue, they will repair or replace the coil....

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call or email the Kellyco Repair Center, dont talk to anyone but the repair center, they are the ones you need to talk, there are issues with the WOT coils for Excals/Sovereign.

If coil is not reporting your scoop every time you scan it there is an issue, they will repair or replace the coil....
If they're having problems with the Excal WOT's, and they've suspended sales of the newest version because of it, I doubt they're going to send you one (nor would I want to go to the trouble and/or expense of installing it).

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH...... likely because they are the ones getting used in salt water. The guy i know all of his was right out of the box bad near the water. They were the only company i read about their coils BEFORE purchase .... not sure they have the same understanding of the word WATERPROOF vs RESISTANT. Salt water will tell you real fast how good your equipment is even its just from the moisture.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH...... likely because they are the ones getting used in salt water. The guy i know all of his was right out of the box bad near the water. They were the only company i read about their coils BEFORE purchase .... not sure they have the same understanding of the word WATERPROOF vs RESISTANT. Salt water will tell you real fast how good your equipment is even its just from the moisture.

Been using my WOT in salt water for at least 7 years now and still running perfectly.... I don't believe it has anything to do with the construction of the outer shell at all, I believe it is the circuit board inside the coils that is the issue...

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a buddy with one on an Excal in fresh water for more than a year and it is working great. Very sensitive. Perhaps, in salt it is falsing because it is so sensitive? Hope they figure it out. I have Coiltek aftermarket coils on my Minelab GPX5000 and they are my go-to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread