Need advice on fresh water swimming hole....

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I came across this once popular swimming hole, complete with swing rope. Still in limited use. Please click above video.
It is a very hard to get to spot (very steep gorge).
Looking at it, it's impossible not to envision years of gold jewelry that were lost and deposited here. Not quite visible in video is "seats" that would under a small falls when water is flowing in the summer. washing away the chains....
When I first came across it a few weeks ago, I walked around and it looked like it was only a few feet deep at the deepest. We have been in a little more that typical drought in the area, so I thought now was the time to take on this project.

I hiked down in there, but once I walk out into the water, I see it's about 5-6' of crystal clear water still there in the middle.

How do I detect this? Snorkeling would be difficult at that depth with nothing but an AT Pro, wouldn't it?
Do I need some scuba to do this right? Even the depths above three feet are problematic.
Sand scoops are worthless, as the top has 2" to 4" rock (single layer) with gravel underneath. In the spots I checked, gravel was only an inch or two thick, with flat rock underneath. About half of the bottom is exposed large flat rock.

I know this is beginner stuff, but I'm a land relic hunter. This type is new to me.
In the shallower edges, I used a 3 gallon pail, with holes drill in bottom for a screener, scraping gravel by hand into bucket. Only found some slag.

Waterproof pointer and snorkel it maybe?? I don't think I could stay down long enough.

DSCN8289.JPG DSCN8288.JPG

Upvote 0

treasure diver ct

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv dived spots like this thinking I would find tons, carried my full dive gear for miles and walked away with very little finds, if I were you I would snorkel it first to check signals, if you get alot of signals or pull anything out that's good then dive it, but be certified and have someone there with you.... If you were certified the best setup to use would be mask, reg, harness, 10l tank and slight weight..... Minimal gear for the hike up, instead of going full bcd and other hard soft gear

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go full scuba. That rig still requires a tank and "most" reputable dive shops require a cert card to refill tanks. In addition the hookah style systems are still compressed air and I HIGHLY recommend a full scuba course to use either even though you don't plan on going 10' max you can still get in trouble in less than that if the wrong situation occurs. I have been diving since mid 80's and only combined detecting into it a couple years ago. The added distraction of looking for gold can make it easy for you to get in trouble. Just my personal opinion and recommendation.

I get tanks filled all over the place without a card - im not certified - snuba does not require cert. but its recommended
have had friends that were dive masters - so they taught me a lot but I never got certified - every yr say Im going to
I always carry spare air and take as many precautions as I can - other than diving with a buddy - no one is interested I know
I usually go no deeper than 10 feet

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv dived spots like this thinking I would find tons, carried my full dive gear for miles and walked away with very little finds, if I were you I would snorkel it first to check signals, if you get alot of signals or pull anything out that's good then dive it, but be certified and have someone there with you.... If you were certified the best setup to use would be mask, reg, harness, 10l tank and slight weight..... Minimal gear for the hike up, instead of going full bcd and other hard soft gear

I also got excited bout a bunch of swimming falls and holes I thought "no ones ever gone here detecting ..jack pot!" - to be disappointed

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 10-20 feet you probably would never have a problem, but I see some Snuba rigs with 100' hoses. I can't imagine anyone wanting to chance their life by not getting certified. Snuba is still compressed air right?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 10-20 feet you probably would never have a problem, but I see some Snuba rigs with 100' hoses. I can't imagine anyone wanting to chance their life by not getting certified. Snuba is still compressed air right?
floating tank with hose

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thats a nice set up you have there Casper. Did you put it together yourself or is it available to purchase somewhere?

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will let you know how it goes I bought this one
https://www.seabreathe.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=3
My jackpot dream swim hole is only 5' deep. If I get in trouble I will just stand up....
I am going to get certified this winter though....
the reason why the hose is 100' on some units is so you can swim a 100 feet away, not deep...
how deep you can go is based on the compressor output....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice set up you have there Casper. Did you put it together yourself or is it available to purchase somewhere?

I put mine together
in most cases in can be cheaper - I had the tank - had the hose and respirator - just bought the float which was just over $100 I think
Surface Air Delivery System
but there are a few companies that will sell you a package

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will let you know how it goes I bought this one
https://www.seabreathe.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=3
My jackpot dream swim hole is only 5' deep. If I get in trouble I will just stand up....
I am going to get certified this winter though....
the reason why the hose is 100' on some units is so you can swim a 100 feet away, not deep...
how deep you can go is based on the compressor output....
that's steep - that's one of the highest prices I seen for a rig like that
good luck

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnoKid, think about what is usually attached to your snuba, or hookah rig that can save your life if you happen to be somewhere that there are motorized boats around. Just be careful with long hose/shallow water diving if you happen to go somewhere that watercraft could hit you. There are some idiots on the waterways that will approach a dive flag just to see what's up!

Last edited:

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found it on ebay 500.00 couldn't build it much cheaper myself....
Got it already seems everything works, just waiting on suit and mask and I will be in the water this weekend...
hoping my honey hole pays off!!! LOL
Really I have wanted to dive for a long time and this is a good excuse to get started!!!

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the system I bought only has 2 30' drops, but my boat is 24' (unless I find a deal on a 32' fountain been looking had two sold before I got there!!!)
I bought a 50' extra hose, that should get us away from the boat a little....
I figured other than the compressor I need all this other stuff to scuba anyways so the most I'm out is 500.00 and I'm sure I can get most of my money back if I go to sell it....
Thanks about thinking about boats running over my hose!!!! Where I plan on diving next summer is a swim area/parking lot for boats, we tie off with tons of boats so shouldn't be a big problem, but I have seen pony bottles and if I'm going to go deeper than 5 or 6 feet I would get one....
thanks
Bob

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
been getting stuff ready.
What do you guy's do for a finds bag under water?

treasure diver ct

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a net bag then use a small container with lead in it for rings, I Keep this container in my net bag, the lead keeps it weighted down so it doesn't float or drop out of the net bag

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SnoKid, think about what is usually attached to your snuba, or hookah rig that can save your life if you happen to be somewhere that there are motorized boats around. Just be careful with long hose/shallow water diving if you happen to go somewhere that watercraft could hit you. There are some idiots on the waterways that will approach a dive flag just to see what's up!

WHICH IS... illegal by the way...
IF you see a dive flag you are NOT supposed to approach it... IN ANY way shape or form... FOR ANY reason...
and must remain at least 300 feet away from it...
By law.

To me this has always seemed too close as is... and have felt the law should be increased to at least 500 feet.
I get pissed when I see this law broken...
Which happens fairly frequently...

My blood pressure skyrockets when underwater and hear a prop closing in...
I look up and see it approaching my rig and my girl on deck...
I come up out of the water behind them on side of their boat and yell at the top of my lungs ,,,
Something to the effect of " HEY ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME !!!
They usually explain they were just curious what I was doing...
I say IM DIVING ! ! !... WHat does it look like I am doing.
And then I have to sit there and explain the danger of what they just did and to never come within 300 feet of a dive flag.
MOST are very apologetic ... tell me they had no idea that it was illegal...
Some even wait for me to come into docks and come over and apologize.

Anyone know what happens when a hookah line is caught in a prop ?

Well if not connected to belt line... which is stupid... but if not... Regulator is yanked from divers mouth and shot up and away...
Or cut ... cutting off air instantly to diver...
And if connected to a belt securely like it is supposed to be...
And line is being wound around prop...

Use your imagination.

Last edited:

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Good discussion here..If it were my situation I might bring a magnet in and do some magnet fishing first. Just to get an idea. Obviously you wont dredge up the coins and whatnot but it might be interesting.

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well my wetsuit didn't show up, So I will be in the water for sure next weekend.
Will post photo's no matter what I find or don't find!!!!
Bob

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is over night freeze warnings on my side of the lake. That means the water will get cold fast.

I am giving up on the water hunting for the year. Doing the beach shore line today.

I had a pontoon boat under power come within 10 feet of me last week end. Any closer and he would have been wearing a shovel.

Yes we did have our dive flag out. Mandatory boater safety courses are needed.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread