opinion on these Ringfinder guys

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Seems to me like it's bad for the hobby for a guy to "employ" other MDer's then sit back and wait for people to respond to his Craigslist ad telling him where they lost their jewelry. Then he goes there, finds it rather easily because these people tip this "service" off to the general location. This "service" doesn't charge but pretty much puts their hand out for a tip.

Then there is the MD like myself and yourself who goes out there usually coming home with a few bucks in change and some occasional silver and even less gold.

Somewhat clever for the "service provider" but it screws with the hobbiest?

Opinions?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I don't belong to RingFinders I have returned rings that have been lost and Water Walker is right, it is a great feeling.

A good friend of mine ( Cupajo ) has returned many rings, in fact he found one last Winter while hunting a private beach that nobody would have known he found. While walking to his car, he spoke with a couple ladies that were out walking and asked if they had heard of anyone losing a ring last Summer. " Yes " was their reply, if fact that is the house she lives in as she pointed to it.

Needless to say everyone involved was thrilled, but I bet none better than CJ.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both systems are as honest as the person using the detector. Fact is there are good and bad people in this world. Im one of those Craigslist guys that honestly try to help someone near me and have made some heart warming returns. Craigslist is more open to those willing to take advantage. Do i think its good for the hobby? Well more and more people are looking to the internet to find lost rings and other items. It does open up the possibility of you loosing a good find if someone in these organizations wants to make a buck by telling them who may have found their item and taking a payment for the info. Lot comes down to the individual and why hes in the hobby. If its money with little concern beyond that then these posts are just what they are looking for. If you really want to do returns....... then why make it a business?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a business license, cards, and flyers (like I have) gives people a bit more confidence that you're not some fly-by-night operation that will run off with their valuables. After all, they're entrusting something dear to them, to someone they don't know. Where do you take your car to be repaired? To a reputable licensed shop or a strangers' back yard? If you don't know either one, you will probably take the more professional looking place, assuming you have a choice.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Guess I need to make business cards for 20.00 . That'll make me legit..

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess I need to make business cards for 20.00 . That'll make me legit..
008.JPG
doesn't even cost that much:laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$9.99 at Vista Print!:laughing7: Every little bit helps when trying to instill confidence in your presentation. Do you think a prospective client would rather see a business card or your number scribbled on a piece of scrap paper? It has nothing to do with how honest you are, it has to do with easing their mind that you're not on your first hunt looking to score their valuable heirloom. Do the crooks have then too? Probably, so you better also if you want to compete.

stevesurfs

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also am with TheRingFinders.com, and am in total agreement with cudamark. I have not been metal detecting as long as many of you, but when I made my first recovery, I wanted to join with a group that would help me to help others, and that is what TheRingFinders.com has done. Since my joining last year, I have made close to 60 recoveries, and each one is a great story. It is a labor of love for Chris Turner who started the directory, and he must beam with delight every time he sees a new post from one of us.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Oh mine will cost 20. A card has to be AMAZING. . kinda like from "American Pycho".

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh mine will cost 20. A card has to be AMAZING. . kinda like from "American Pycho".

Jeep.....You crack me up :) You started this whole thing and now you're going into the ring finding business. You at least need to put your avatar picture on your cards....that would be amazing!
I think people would call just to see you live and in person, just sayin', you're a funny guy.

Rich

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now for those in Ringfinders or any of these type organizations......... is it just straight give backs or is there a fee given to the business or to you once found? I dont know ....... looks like a good opportunity for the bad guys too to join. But no system is perfect. I guess you can ague either way...... its a great service that can improve the way people look at the hobby...... or its a business designed to make money.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each member can decide for themself how they want to do it. In my case, and most of the members I know, I only ask for costs to be covered. Usually $20 or $25 to cover expenses on a local search. More if it's out of town or requires motel, different transportation than my truck, tolls, parking fees, scuba, etc. Rewards are welcome, but, not insisted on. Neither is the call out fee for that matter. If someone refuses to give me anything, I don't make them, or berate them in any way. It's all voluntary. Some of us also donate a portion of any reward to charity too.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So....... ringfinders.com dont get anything? Its just a website that makes it easier for people to get help? So you make your decision to go or not go based on distance and difficulty of recovery if they dont want to somewhat cover the cost?

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Up-date on my October 1[SUP]st[/SUP] post:

After three days, 6+hours in rain and 40knot winds, and several e-mails to the Craigslist poster I was about read to give up for another day. Scratching my head as to why I had not found the ring yet… I was planing my return trip while walking out of the surf; I got a strong signal and up popped the ring. At home I e-mailed “Dave” and he called me back. We have set up for the return in person for later this week. I really want to see “Dave” as his ring slips over my thumb and it is the first Tungsten ring I have found with laser engraved initials and date. One Beautiful ring with a lot of sentimental value. I am sure I will get a photo with a big smile as “Dave” puts his ring back on where it belongs. My reward: karma and hopefully a Thank You Note. Our metal detecting hobby is only what we make of it!

Oh yes, I do not see TheRingFinders as a business. I do have information cards to post on boards, hand out to hotels, interested people, and beach vendors. I also keep an eye on Craigslist and other Lost and Found postings and I have a large magnetic sign on the back of my car. It all works for me in helping others. I see my hobby as a pay-back for the help others have given me. I love my hobby! I respect the fact that the way I enjoy it may not be the same as someone else enjoys “his hobby”. We all need to try to educate some as to the Metal Detecting Code of Ethics and follow them our-self.

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ringfinders in the Tampa Bay area seems to be handled/dominated by a local MD club. I've seen them featured on the news a number of times where, when people who have lost a ring and searched the internet for help, they are directed to their web site. The club was also a member of Lostmystuff, but the owner of LMS thought it was a conflict of interest for them or any other person or group to be a member of RF also. The club does group searches for lost items for no implied fee, but does take donations as their web site suggests.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So....... ringfinders.com dont get anything? Its just a website that makes it easier for people to get help? So you make your decision to go or not go based on distance and difficulty of recovery if they dont want to somewhat cover the cost?

Dew - There is a fee to join the ringfinders.com website - though it is very minimal. The website is ran by a guy in Canada (Chris). He is a really good guy wanting to help people. With any charity, people who give a large portion of their time need to be reimburse some how. People still need to live. I love helping people, though I can't give all my free time to helping others; my family would suffer, correct?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread