Wearing Polarized sunglasses while in water increases your $$$.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't started wearing Polarized sunglasses while water hunting, you should. I mainly hunt early mornings when the wind hasn't picked up much to ruffle the surface of the water. The glasses allow you to more clearly see the bottom for finding things like dollar bills, etc. that wash out of pockets. When we were kids our pockets in our suits were tiny affairs and there weren't many concession stands either. Not so now days. It's a little more difficult to catch the bills as they wash about in the waves in saltwater, but in freshwater they just lay on the bottom waiting for you. :o

Good Luck,
Sandman

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chomping at the bit for "the book" 8) <-------- polarized

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I always wear polarized sun glasses when hunting the surf but mostly because my eyes can't take the brightness of the sand and water. The white sand of Destin and Fort Walton beaches are very bright.

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you hunt the sand with a digital detector

polarized lenses will make it difficult to read the lcd's but in the water with sound only machines its the way to go.

my 2 cents.

hh

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
Sandman is right on the money with the glasses. I once found a gold ring I saw on the botom. Another time in Canada[the water is super clear] I in neck deep water I saw and could tell the Id of two $20.00 bills laying side by side. Many times out,after a busy weekend, I'll find more in paper money than coins or jewlery.Paper is great to to find,it just lays on the bottem and waits to be scooped up. ::) Mike

glory-days

Greenie
Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Whites IDX Pro
Guess I need to roll some of my clad and spring for some polarized sunglasses. Thanks for the advice Sandman. :) HH, Glory-Days

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saves your sight as well. I've spent to many years detecting in sunny countries and now have the start of Macula Degeneration. I now wear Transitions that both darken in the sun and polarize out the glare but there's no getting back what you have lost. Protect your eyes at all costs.

Brian

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I do alot of river wading, both for bottle hunting and for flyfishing....always wear them....also saves me numerous times from stepping on those huge turtles that are like washtubs up here.... :D

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If anyone makes it to Murpheesboro, AR to look for diamonds be sure and wear polarized sunglasses if you surface hunt it makes the diamonds on the ground "wink" to you and tones out the other minerals.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive heard that about polarized lenses and diamonds. All my outdoors glasses are polaraized and I always keep on the lookout in parking lots and such. I actually found a diamond earring once that way.

In the water, there is no substitute for polarized lenses. This is one of those taken for granted things that we need to be reminded of once in a while. I found a ten dollar bill once floating on the bottom in FL. That ten dollars will buy a pair of fishing glasses at WalMart that do the job nicely, IMHO. I like the wrap around lenses on them.

Good idea on the metal frames, too. Instead, I think Ill glue a fishing sinker to mine. Then theyll go down fast and stay there until I find them!

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Ya know... i'm still waiting for Sandman to put all of these wonderful tips into a concise format, where we can all go to find them easily... preferably with a table of contents and an index... something on paper (or electronic format) with a nice cover... maybe that avatar picture... I think they call those things "BOOKS"

And I think a lot of the newbies (and some of the older guys too) would like it even more than me

steve

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebook, hard or soft cover in print. Makes no difference. I'd buy one in a heart beat. I wish Sandman could make it down for our Beach Party at Sebastian inlet.
Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread