flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got up at 6am, raced over to the beach.. got my stuff out and started walking to the water. Promptly stubbed my big toe on a buried lump of concrete in the sand parking lot and peeled back a 1 inch section of flesh from the side of my toe. Lots of blood and flesh too big to tear off, had to go home and cut it off.

Mission aborted!

Hope your hunt was better than mine!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That hurts for sure, But..... You did not miss anything, It was rock and roll out there! You would of been done sooner than you started. SS

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry about the accident and the no hunt. In the future use the mantra, "no hurt". Stay alert, stay alive.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread is useless without pics.:laughing7:

Hope your gonna be ok.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That hurts for sure, But..... You did not miss anything, It was rock and roll out there! You would of been done sooner than you started. SS

Other side, off shore winds, low tide and beautiful!

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread is useless without pics.:laughing7:

Hope your gonna be ok.

No problem it's fine, I just did not care to have fish biting at my foot. Small fish attract bigger fish haha.

Attachments

• IMG_5129.JPG
    IMG_5129.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 82

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I'm talking about!!! Blood, gore...pain....Treasure hunting at its best!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hunt barefoot? :icon_scratch: With all the assorted sharp crap I've found in the sand and water over the years, you won't see me there without some sort of footwear! Good luck getting back in action!

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You hunt barefoot? :icon_scratch: With all the assorted sharp crap I've found in the sand and water over the years, you won't see me there without some sort of footwear! Good luck getting back in action!

Yeah I knew someone would ask me this :) I wore booties in the past, especially when kiteboarding, but I found that my most serious injuries were while wearing them (and my friends also). We'd walk into an area infested with sharp stuff (maybe the edge of an oyster bar) and not realize it until it was dangerous enough to puncture the booty (and my foot deeply, usually).

I went back to not wearing them, only minor cuts here and there, I can feel the bottom and know when to retreat. As far as detecting goes here in FL, feeling what is on the bottom is important because you know by the bottom if you are searching for recent drops (shot in the dark), or old drops (better odds).

In this case, I wasn't even in the water, I was in the parking lot.

Now if I were somewhere OTHER than Florida or Caribbean, especially CA, or northern coasts, I'd definitely be wearing foot protection. But down here it's all soft sand or mud.

Today though I wish I'd been wearing them haha.

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Even booties will not stop a sting rays barb. While in Cancun I got hit by one in 3 inches of water.
But reading the description and looking at the gory presentation...I would that the ray's sting.
Get well soon, the tide waits for no man.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooouch! Sorry you had to abort your maiden voyage! Hope it heals up soon. I ALWAYS wear booties even up on the wet sand.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even booties will not stop a sting rays barb. While in Cancun I got hit by one in 3 inches of water.
But reading the description and looking at the gory presentation...I would that the ray's sting.
Get well soon, the tide waits for no man.

Oh yeah that reminds me.. I also like to know when I step on the wing of a stingray. I usually jump, curse and am thankful I didn't git hit by the barb. It's probably funny to watch. With booties I'd probably take longer to realize I'm standing on a ray and maybe get hit.

Last time I hunted I was wading knee deep in the dark with a head lamp. It was creepy, all those eyes lookup up at me!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I knew someone would ask me this :) I wore booties in the past, especially when kiteboarding, but I found that my most serious injuries were while wearing them (and my friends also). We'd walk into an area infested with sharp stuff (maybe the edge of an oyster bar) and not realize it until it was dangerous enough to puncture the booty (and my foot deeply, usually).

I went back to not wearing them, only minor cuts here and there, I can feel the bottom and know when to retreat. As far as detecting goes here in FL, feeling what is on the bottom is important because you know by the bottom if you are searching for recent drops (shot in the dark), or old drops (better odds).

In this case, I wasn't even in the water, I was in the parking lot.

Now if I were somewhere OTHER than Florida or Caribbean, especially CA, or northern coasts, I'd definitely be wearing foot protection. But down here it's all soft sand or mud.

Today though I wish I'd been wearing them haha.

Considering the amount of dangerous sharp objects I have found while detecting beaches I stopped hunting barefoot 8 years ago.... Finding hypo needles, fillet knives, butcher knives used as fillet knives, halves of broken beer bottles ect was more than enough reason for me to wear footwear.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Considering the amount of dangerous sharp objects I have found while detecting beaches I stopped hunting barefoot 8 years ago.... Finding hypo needles, fillet knives, butcher knives used as fillet knives, halves of broken beer bottles ect was more than enough reason for me to wear footwear.

You make a good point regarding the fillet knives and beer bottles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread