What is Spanish Silver doing here

cofresi

Greenie
Feb 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ilve in cape breton in a tiny fishing village (arent all fishing villlages tiny?) I have a Baracuda from Anchor Electronics with a brand new 13,5 inch coil. While diving out my back yard about 100 uard out, the water is less than 40 feet deep. For a few years i have used my Barracuda here in the hard packed sand area inside the reef (actually a concretion of rocks in a crescent shape) and nary a sound. This time the detector screamed at me. I dug and dug. KNowing the 13.5 inch coil, I knew it could be way deep and it was. Out of 20 inches of hard packed sand popped a eight real approx 1600-1630 coin from Spain. Now the French rules these waves until the Brits threw them out and then a deal was made. I can find no reference to Spanish ships in these waters. Now either this is a one off , or there is a wreck deeper in the sand than my detector can go, or perhaps a wreck further out than what I went. Either way, It sure made my day

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it's legit and not a modern copy? Assuming it's a real reale, lots of things are possible. Back then, silver was silver and gold was gold, it didn't matter what country minted it, just the weight.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cofresi,

I agree with Jason.....on another forum lots of Spanish silver has been dug all over the maritimes including cobs.

If you get a chance post up some pictures and you'll get some opinions as to whether it's the real deal or not.

Regards + HH

Bill

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish silver does turn up in the maritimes, but not 8 reale cobs. Looking forward to the picture.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure: Spanish Galleons Found Off Cape Breton

Bob MacKinnon had a claim on two 17th-century Spanish ships years ago...
they were supposedly in shallow water either east or northeast of Cape Breton.
There has never been an "exact location" declared.

Maybe... you have found them also. :)

Spanish ships travelled up the U.S. along where you are ... then would head home around Azores.

Last edited:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is it doing there? Waiting for you to find it! Pics, man, pics!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spanish ships travelled up the U.S. along where you are ... then would head home around Azores.

That guy is legit! If he said he found spanish galleons off Breton, you can believe they are there! It's a damn shame what the gov't did to him.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

That was a interesting read, thanks for posting that. Now if I could just get the waitresses attention (maybe I need a bell) I would order another cup of coffee...[emoji477]️

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cofresi, before you make another post about this topic, go read Robert's book. I just realized where you were.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IN COLONIAL TIMES - THERE WAS MORE SPANISH SILVER BEING USED THAN ANY OTHER COUNTRIES COMBINED
WE BOUGHT BARRELS FULL OF 1/2 AND 1 REALES TO BE USED AS EVERYDAY CURRENCY
AND SILVER WAS SILVER - WHETHER COBB OR CUT - -ENGLISH FRENCH OR WHAT EVER
IT WAS ALL GOOD - IVE SEEN PIECES OF 8 - COBB AND ROUND- FOUND ALL OVER NEWENGLAND AND INTO CANADA
OF COURSE NOT VERY COMMON - BUT A FEW EVERY YEAR FOR YEARS AND HAVE SEEN A FEW SMALL CACHES OF THEM TOO

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'd love to find a nice colonial footpath to detect. Your correct, there were plenty of these brought over here. And as you mention I suspect some caches yet to be found. hh gl -Joe

IN COLONIAL TIMES - THERE WAS MORE SPANISH SILVER BEING USED THAN ANY OTHER COUNTRIES COMBINED
WE BOUGHT BARRELS FULL OF 1/2 AND 1 REALES TO BE USED AS EVERYDAY CURRENCY
AND SILVER WAS SILVER - WHETHER COBB OR CUT - -ENGLISH FRENCH OR WHAT EVER
IT WAS ALL GOOD - IVE SEEN PIECES OF 8 - COBB AND ROUND- FOUND ALL OVER NEWENGLAND AND INTO CANADA
OF COURSE NOT VERY COMMON - BUT A FEW EVERY YEAR FOR YEARS AND HAVE SEEN A FEW SMALL CACHES OF THEM TOO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread