Looking for suggestions for a new Scoop.

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok water hunters, I need some suggestions for a new scoop. I have been hunting a lake that in some places my power scoop works fine, but there are a few places in the lake where the bottom is a hard packed clay. And I have some places I am going to branch out this upcoming year, that I am sure will be rocky as well. I can get my scoop to cut into it, by placing it flat and ratcheting it back and forth while putting pressure on the top. Not really how I want to use my scoop, re welded it twice last year. I need one that I would preferably like to place in front of me, and drive in with my foot. I looked at a Trex, online. But not sure what I want or truly need.

One other question, I cant see the bottom either. Waters always cloudy, and tips on moving that detector out of the way and setting the scoop on the right spot?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pics of the scoops you use for your finds would be great also!!

Whats a post without pics, here are a few of the rings from last year.

Thanks, HH

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTG WITH STAINLESS TIP :thumbsup:

carlos006

Greenie
Oct 27, 2014
Stay away from the T-Rex several have posted including my self in regards to failure in the welding along the seams.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Stealth scoop by SunSpot is hard to beat. They have many options on size and design to suit you.

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
I love my RTG scoops for the ocean but my sunspot scoops are super solid scoop and very very well built. However if the basket is full it does get a bit heavy.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
This is the 8" classic. Very durable and you'll have no prob slicing through and prying up hard wet clay.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
He said he's digging in hard clay in a lake in a lake you have wet clay, sand, hard pack. Lakes have sand, rock, hard pan, clay and stone

goldiger

Greenie
Aug 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree stealth scoop best rugged scoop have the 720 works great in hard rocky beaches not cheap though.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had one similar - long ago before the newer designs - I had coins and stuff getting stuck under the wood rod
plus in cold months - made it hard to get stuff out of the bottom with thick gloves on and the rod
being in the way - gave it to a newbie last year
also had a friend that used it a lot and wood wore and handle came off in the middle of a hunt - luckily I had a spare RTG
for him to use

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A Stealth scoop by SunSpot is hard to beat. They have many options on size and design to suit you.

I agree. I love my extreme 920. I can't live without mine.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Stealth sunscoops BABY!

I jammed silicon below the wood on old design! It lasts one season!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly recommend and use a stealth classic 8, with one half inch holes for fastest draining for below reason(s):

An 8 inch or wider open stainless steel basket works best, if you are detecting with a standard size or larger DD search coil.
The Vish Eurotip basket is best for slicing through hard wet clay
The sharp angles of this basket allows you to get closer to rocks
You have more leverage with a straight up degree angle handle, which is important when you need to pry rocks with the scoop,
to get to the target. Further, you can break scoop free from the bottom by changing the position of your foot on the extended foot pad. Effort is further save by hopping the basket straight up (sifting on each hop).

It takes a little time getting use to, but it is well worth the effort.

I use this basket with the longer textured shaft available as I use it like a staff to balance on uneven bottom,
retrieve targets up to chin deep, and for safety to push me back to shore if I step into a hole or get in too deep.

I mount the lift assist at standard shaft height facing me which allows me to use the scoop like the standard 20 degree angle
scoop when deep in the water so I do not have to get my face wet.

I only use this scoop in the water as it is slightly heavier because of the additional weight of the foot pad,
plus the longer shaft weights more and a shorter shaft works better on land.

Even though targets can get trapped between the bottom of the handle and the basket, I would not silicone this gap up as
the wood handle may rot if water gets trapped. As trapped target often work free by themselves after a few scoops, so I seldom
bother to clear a trapped target.

Stealth Classic

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would recommend the stealth also.

Just wish the scoop maker I had would go into production. I've had this titanium scoop for over three years now with more then 2000 hours use and it finally gave out.

Called Greg up and said come on by and pick up what you need, very easy to replace the parts and not buy a new scoop...

New shell..................................................old broken...should take me less then a hour to fix.. no welds

OBN0344.jpg OBN0343.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread