Help with settings on old coinmaster

Mark77

Jan 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I'm new to metal detecting. I live in Australia and am primarily interested in doing some detecting on the beach - both in the dry sand and wet sand. I have a mint condition Coinmaster 5500/d Series 3 on its way from the US in the post. I decided on an older analog detector as my first to properly learn how they work.

In the meantime I've been reading the manual a few times. A lot to get your head around...

I have made a list of a few general questions that I should be ale to answer myself after a bit of practice, but I was wondering if anyone has any comments from their own experience which might speed up the learning curve for me.

For hunting on wet salt beaches, it was suggested that I use one of the non-discriminating GEB modes with SAT turned on. With this set-up I will get no discrimination but should get good depth with smooth operation once ground balanced.

There is a statement in the manual that in disc mode salt is the first thing to be rejected in disc mode. Aren't I already knocking this out by ground balancing? If I am able so ground balance out the wet salt sand then I guess this in not necessary and discrimination modes are really only to reject junk targets.

It also states that TR disc when set up in "mode 2" has more rejection than all of the GEB modes and is useful for wet sand beaches. TR Disc mode 2 refers to setting up in this mode in a similar manner to ground balancing, but instead of using the GEB knob, the Disc knob is used. You have to turn the knob the opposite way that you would turn the GEB knob during the procedure. Again, I don't really get this. Surely if the ground can't be balanced out, then using GEB disc mode and adjusting the disc knob in will allow enough rejection for wet salt beaches. Is it only a difference of whether there is more background noise?

So I guess what I am wondering is - What is the difference between using TR Disc Mode 2 or GEB norm in wet sand? Both say excellent depth and are all metal as you lose the ability to get discrimination when setting TR disc up in this way. You don’t have to move the coil in TR disc, but do with GEB norm when using SAT. I found a statement that someone had made which said "even though the GEB Normal or GEB Disc. modes can be used at times on some saltwater beaches, the TR-Disc. mode can provide you a little better control over the wet salt environment a lot of the time.”. I don't really understand this.

Also - Is the SAT setting likely to compensate enough to allow going from wet sand to dry sand without ground balancing again?

Is SAT mode necessary to use on dry sand? Beaches near here seem quite uniform in consistency of the sand – no patches of black sand. If it is not necessary, then it seems like it would be better to not use it to avoid the need for having to keep the coil moving.

If SAT isn't necessary then I guess using GEB disc would be better to use on dry sand to be able to reject junk? Will I always lose depth if using GEB disc compared to GEB norm i.e. if the beach is not very trashy is GEB norm/ GEB max preferable due to greater depth?

If your pulling the trigger in GEB norm or GEB max, you will be swapping over to GEB disc mode. GEB disc is not supposed to work well with SAT turned on. Do you have to turn SAT off before pulling the trigger for it to work properly?

Any help is really appreciated.
Cheers.
Mark

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say most guys here don't even know what a TR machines is (they were pretty much phased out my 1990s I think) - I started with a real old TR goldmaster in 1975 and then got a Compass TR in 1976
- TRs for the most part in my area are absolutely -NO GOOD in saltwater areas
- they will "false" all over - you being from down under - I would not know what to tell you how things are on your beaches
all I can say is take some good and bad items and try and do a test field for yourself and do some trial and error

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had hunt partners that owned GEBs (in the 80s)
- if Im not mistaken - they will throw out white gold in disc. also
over here they used to throw out nickels as well - I could tell when a place I hit was hammered recently by a few GEBs - Id be finding nickels all over the place and would get the occasional white gold - one beach I got like 20 nickels and 3 white gold others had missed because a group of guys were all using them the days before - I was hunting in all metal

I don't think you'll find many that know what a GEB machine is either
- most guys that had them were 95%+ land hunters that did

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread