๐Ÿฅ‡ BANNER Unusual find this morning @-120ft depth...a -30 BC find during scuba detection

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys,

I was out this morning for a quick dive with my new Ebinger UW 722C PI detector and I had a few very very deep signals. To be honest they where so deep I couldn't dig them as I was diving on my own down 120/130 feet (I know it's bad :nono:). Diving configuration Rebreather Nitrox 32/68 gas mix with 50% Oxygen poni for spare & deco.

I was digging what appears to be "clother signals" for this detector and look what I've uncovered: an eyeball partial wine Amphora which appears to be from -30 BC -> +30 Period.

It looks it is originating from south spain / portugal. Feel free to ask questions :-)
I have shot with my Gopro..will push the video on my Youtub channel when I'll have time.But I have to arrange an other dive with mates to help me retrieving the metal objects I've located but was unable to uncover.

917711amphora2.jpg

282411amphora5.jpg

475171amphora6.jpg

473038amphora7.jpg

742935amphora8.jpg

549887amphora9.jpg

713633amphora10.jpg

948858sentiersousmarinld.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent pictures and pottery wine Amphora.Looks to tempered with shell or maybe limestone? Very cool find! Always amazes me when ancient pottery survives.

Hello TNM,

Yep you're totally right. I really thought the pottery was in one piece..and on the other hand to dig a full size amphora takes time and it would not have been possible on my own. At this depth they are less seaweeds and the sea bed is a bit rocky & sandy so potteries are immediately "in good shape" when surfaced.

If I put the pottery in fresh water during 2 weeks, the shells and limestone will die. There is a still a trace of wine inside, the black color you can see.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Casper I wish I could make a dive with you and introduce you to antique treasure hunting

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a crazy man - Good job!!! Is the helmet just for attaching camera/ lights etc? Never seen a diver with a helmet before?

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You are a crazy man - Good job!!! Is the helmet just for attaching camera/ lights etc? Never seen a diver with a helmet before?

Hello TRF

It's my diving helmt for my Gopro 4K and 2x 3000 Lumens Sola dive light from Light & motion
828250goprohelmet.jpg

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow you are living a dream that I would think a lot of people on here can... well... only dream about. This is stuff that I can only read about and for that I thank you for posting your finds. This forum is so much better then TV ! Thanks again for taking the time to post and please keep all of us stuck in the ice and snow going with some more pictures of what you are finding.

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Frog-

Interesting and well done!! Curious about the aircraft....thats pretty deep. Can you confirm that aircraft vis a vis USAAF loss records...IE; do we know if it is accounted for in official records of loss?... I ask in regards to the aircrew...
If you have any info, such as location, type, model etc etc...I'd forward it to JPAC.

Ag

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Frog-

Interesting and well done!! Curious about the aircraft....thats pretty deep. Can you confirm that aircraft vis a vis USAAF loss records...IE; do we know if it is accounted for in official records of loss?... I ask in regards to the aircrew...
If you have any info, such as location, type, model etc etc...I'd forward it to JPAC.

Ag

Sorry, I've just checked and IT IS NOT a US AIRCRAFT, it's a GERMAN WWII Aircraft, a Dornier 24
803648dornier24fm.jpg

428886dornier247fm.jpg

Please do accept my apologizes for this mistake. We have many wrecks around here - US, GB and German.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowza wowza That is amazing hunting the sea floor basically untouched or seen by anyone. Absolutely awesome.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a "piss pot"... AKA Urinal.

JK... Well done frog. :)

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Its a "piss pot"... AKA Urinal.

JK... Well done frog. :)

:laughing7: :laughing9: Excellent AARC

hope I can find nearby some gold like those ones....

476567Goldbccoin1.jpg

118860Goldbccoin2.jpg

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
AARC and all TNET members, I always welcome everyone willing to scuba detect or make a first dive with me :-)

I had the chance last spring to invite Marc the orgininal founder of TNet!

465110Marcfromtreasurenet.jpg

667603Marcfromtreasurenet2.jpg

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FM,

I'm not sure which one is crazier you or AARC....I'm feeling left out I thought I was one of the few crazies on the forum....lol....

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
FM,

I'm not sure which one is crazier you or AARC....I'm feeling left out I thought I was one of the few crazies on the forum....lol....

Regards + HH

Bill

This forum is so corporate... :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread