Metal Detecting
You'll probably be ok. Make sure that everything is closed tightly

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For hunting Salt Water Beaches : You need a Multifreq VLF detectors such as the : Fisher CZ21, Minelab Excalibur,Whites Beach Hunter 300 (not sure if it can handle depth), for discrimination, and can handle the can handle the conductivity of salt and mineralization.

Or if you are a dig it all type, and want maximum depth, you will want a PI (Pulse Induction Detector such as:
Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites Dual Field, Whites 950 (used), Garrett Sea Hunter Mark ii,

The single frequency AT Pro is an All Terrain detector(s) - It is not a true water hunters as it has has difficulties with conductivity and mineralization. Some salt water beaches it works well, others not.

The heavier and more expensive Minelab CTX 3030 is also an All Terrain Detector (same depth limitiation as AT Pro), It has the best discrimination and handles salt and mineralization since it is a multifrequency VLF detector.

Getting a new garret at pro. What is the max for underwater it says 10 ft but some holes I will hit might be up to 12 ft. Advice please. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
cooper36

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My hunting will be mostly freshwater with one or to two trips to the beach.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Depth limitation of 10ft. is due to the certification scale of the. components.

If you look carefully for western products, you see 10 ft. then 200ft then 250ft for watches. They are just a few industrial certs for depth ranking.

Your AT PRO is commited between 10ft and 200ft. should be around 20/30 without any issue...don't know this machine but the first element which suffer from depth pressure first are the buttons, especially digital push buttons: they become ineffective with depth.

I should get an AT Pro end of spring and I will post a vid with a scuba hunt similar to the one I made with CTX

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT pro will easily hit 12', but I wouldn't try 30 feet, that is two full atm. Frog is right, the buttons would probably be pressed in and become useless before the case failed.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You should be fine at 12' I have the AT Pro and only hunt in saltwater. Some of my suggestions are, take the coil cover off when you use it in the water (sand and air get's in between and will cause noise) plus I use divers grease on all the O rings for the coil, head phone, and battery connector. My normal saltwater setup is always the same Pro Zero mode, sensitivity as high as I can get it about 3 bars shy of full then I do a manual ground balance in the water that's about it. Hope this helps and happy hunting.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should be fine at 12' I have the AT Pro and only hunt in saltwater. Some of my suggestions are, take the coil cover off when you use it in the water (sand and air get's in between and will cause noise) plus I use divers grease on all the O rings for the coil, head phone, and battery connector. My normal saltwater setup is always the same Pro Zero mode, sensitivity as high as I can get it about 3 bars shy of full then I do a manual ground balance in the water that's about it. Hope this helps and happy hunting.

^ This for saltwater. The machine does >usually< work fine in salt water.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Do any of your videos show you using the AT Pro in saltwater?
I am deciding between a Mark II and an AT Pro.
Thanks.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Do any of your videos show you using the AT Pro in saltwater?
I am deciding between a Mark II and an AT Pro.
Thanks.

Do you have a lot of trash in you area?

Feb 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have a lot of trash in you area?

The sand is very trashy especially the dry sand. This is in southern Brasil and almost no one has hunted these beaches.
However, the Brazilian coins are all in the nickel and pull tab area on my Bounty Hunter I am using. So discriminating anything out is pretty much not going to happen.
The coins even rust. So they look like trash too. :)

I am hoping that getting in the water will improve my treasure to trash ratio so using a PI machine and digging everything is why I was thinking of the Mark II.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mark II is a good machine, but you need to buy a new headphone + shaft, because the stock one are "cheap".

Now if you have a lot of trash... i would suggest you a VLF machine, I know the price is much higher BUT discrimination "even light" can help to focus on the valuable finds.

I love PI machines but NOT IN TRASHY area, it's painful, you loose time....

There is also the Infinium option if you want a modulation of sound with your PI...at the price of a VLF.

Most of the time, PI are used for

- high competing areas where everything has been hammed and cleaned => you want to search deeper of small gold
- low trashy areas where you have a lot of sand with tides
- underwater to locate wrecks

i'd go for a CZ-21, Excal II or CTX first to clean quick and easy then i'll cover more with a PI such as MKII, infinium or ATX... more powerful ? TDI PRO

Last edited:

Feb 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mark II is a good machine, but you need to buy a new headphone + shaft, because the stock one are "cheap".

Now if you have a lot of trash... i would suggest you a VLF machine, I know the price is much higher BUT discrimination "even light" can help to focus on the valuable finds.

I love PI machines but NOT IN TRASHY area, it's painful, you loose time....

There is also the Infinium option if you want a modulation of sound with your PI...at the price of a VLF.

Most of the time, PI are used for

- high competing areas where everything has been hammed and cleaned => you want to search deeper of small gold
- low trashy areas where you have a lot of sand with tides
- underwater to locate wrecks

i'd go for a CZ-21, Excal II or CTX first to clean quick and easy then i'll cover more with a PI such as MKII, infinium or ATX... more powerful ? TDI PRO

Thanks for the tips. In addition to a budget. I also need to be able to get it into Brasil without paying a fortune in import taxes. A Excal II or CZ-21 would be great but I have a $1000 import limit. :-(

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This is easy to ask for $800 invoice LoL no problem at all :laughing7:

Are you planning to scuba detect?

If yes => excalibur
If Not => CZ-21

You need an Anderson shaft in both case...

Feb 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is easy to ask for $800 invoice LoL no problem at all :laughing7:

Are you planning to scuba detect?

If yes => excalibur
If Not => CZ-21

You need an Anderson shaft in both case...

No scuba. Probably never over waist deep or so.
I'll be in the Miami area in June so I will look for a dealer that can help with the invoice issue.

Thanks for the direct and detailed advice.

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
22126.gif

Feb 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Thank you very much. All things considered I might go with the AT Pro now and if I get more serious later about getting in the water do another upgrade.
I'm not sure how much jewelry Brazilians loose in the ocean. :-)

Your videos are all about hunting in the shallow water, how does the AT Pro handle wet (black) sand?

Thanks

I can't help you there. I haven't run across black sand here but I did a search on TN and found this for you.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/385339-pro-black-wet-sand-what-s-problem.html

Feb 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't help you there. I haven't run across black sand here but I did a search on TN and found this for you.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garrett/385339-pro-black-wet-sand-what-s-problem.html

Thanks that is very helpful.
I know it is not the top of the line saltwater / beach machine. However, given I am hunting in a trashy area and likely the only person ever hunting here, dry or wet sand. I think this is my best machine for the money; for ME and for this point in time..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread