Friendly MDers?

Tenderfoot

Mar 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for about 5 years, mostly on beaches. In that time I've met about a dozen detectorists on beaches that I hunt. No matter how friendly I try to be, I always get the impression that I'm infringing on someone else's territory. Even if I was there first. Most times they're polite but not overly friendly. I don't know what I could find short of a gold stash that I wouldn't be just as delighted to have a fellow detectorists find and share the story. Yet the club I belong to seems to have great folks (while at the meetings). Wish folks would realize that the most wealth we will come away with is the friends we make.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess there are miscreants everywhere. Just keep smiling! :skullflag:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Terry said.. Just keep smiling!
skullflag.png

I have seen the same, many just want to hunt with only a few talkers which is fine.

One thing I do hate is when someone claims a beach or acts like your infringing on there spot.

With this I make sure they see me hunting behind them and working it hard.

Clubs are different, more relaxed and sharing of finds and stories. And many are there to get info so

there going to be more friendly, I can't tell you how many have come to me this past year once I started

showing my finds asking where you hunt, and can we meet next week.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been detecting for about 5 years, mostly on beaches. In that time I've met about a dozen detectorists on beaches that I hunt. No matter how friendly I try to be, I always get the impression that I'm infringing on someone else's territory. Even if I was there first. Most times they're polite but not overly friendly. I don't know what I could find short of a gold stash that I wouldn't be just as delighted to have a fellow detectorists find and share the story. Yet the club I belong to seems to have great folks (while at the meetings). Wish folks would realize that the most wealth we will come away with is the friends we make.

Ah well you didn't run into me. I'll chat you ear off until you're trying to back out of the conversation so you can continue detecting. I love talking about my hobbies. I can only hunt so much area in X hours. If you find gold I'll be happy for you (sad for myself but still happy for you). Best of luck

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ah well you didn't run into me. I'll chat you ear off until you're trying to back out of the conversation so you can continue detecting. I love talking about my hobbies. I can only hunt so much area in X hours. If you find gold I'll be happy for you (sad for myself but still happy for you). Best of luck.

FWIW it's not bad until you catch them dropping musket balls.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kill em with Kindness!
Don't show off.... to much :tongue3:
Treasure is attracted to positivity and persistence!!!

Ccarson

Dec 20, 2014
El Monte,Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt pro,surf pi pro,trx pinpointer
Minelab eureka
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like meeting other detectorest out on the beach. I've only been beach detecting for about 3 years and haven't been to all the beaches at the best times. So getting any info is nice. Or just BSing. What I don't like are the Asian tourists trying to sneak pictures of me. I wish ther was a device to stop them like a cell phone blocker.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive gotten that -"this is my beach" (or my park etc)
since I was a kid -(started in 1975)
95% of them - Ive hunted those spots 10 yrs+ before they even started detecting
but have never said "it was mine first"- never said "hey this is my spot"
any one that has taken the time to talk to me - knows that once you get me going - hard to get me to stop
and Im not afraid to tell anyone if I m doing good or bad - not afraid to say where ive gotten what
(most times its out farther than they can get) but if I see them heading towards a spot with potential - will give them tips - look for this - work the left or right of a spot etc - if you hunt with me and I get into a pretty good spot - I'll tell you to head my way - don't want you in my pocket but will tell you to
come out where I am - I grew up with a greedy family - would not give a drowning man a glass of water - Im the opposite - I'll give him all the water he wants :tongue3:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like meeting other detectorest out on the beach. I've only been beach detecting for about 3 years and haven't been to all the beaches at the best times. So getting any info is nice. Or just BSing. What I don't like are the Asian tourists trying to sneak pictures of me. I wish ther was a device to stop them like a cell phone blocker.

Actually, I recall reading of just such a device. It works by sensing the IR pulses that modern cameras send out before opening the lens. It senses these pulses and itself pulses a prolnged bright flash to overexpose/ruin their shot. Doesn't work with video. I think they were/are used to combat facial recognition cameras and were mounted on the bill of a ball cap or high on your shirt. iirc, they were fairly inexpensive and the light pulses they emitted weren't in the visible part of the spectrum so no one could tell what you were doing. Sorry I don't have a link, but knowing something exists is 90% of the way to finding it if youre motivated.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, I recall reading of just such a device. It works by sensing the IR pulses that modern cameras send out before opening the lens. It senses these pulses and itself pulses a prolnged bright flash to overexpose/ruin their shot. Doesn't work with video. I think they were/are used to combat facial recognition cameras and were mounted on the bill of a ball cap or high on your shirt. iirc, they were fairly inexpensive and the light pulses they emitted weren't in the visible part of the spectrum so no one could tell what you were doing. Sorry I don't have a link, but knowing something exists is 90% of the way to finding it if youre motivated.

It is possible. Here is a technical discussion

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive gotten that -"this is my beach" (or my park etc)
since I was a kid -(started in 1975)
95% of them - Ive hunted those spots 10 yrs+ before they even started detecting
but have never said "it was mine first"- never said "hey this is my spot"
any one that has taken the time to talk to me - knows that once you get me going - hard to get me to stop
and Im not afraid to tell anyone if I m doing good or bad - not afraid to say where ive gotten what
(most times its out farther than they can get) but if I see them heading towards a spot with potential - will give them tips - look for this - work the left or right of a spot etc - if you hunt with me and I get into a pretty good spot - I'll tell you to head my way - don't want you in my pocket but will tell you to
come out where I am - I grew up with a greedy family - would not give a drowning man a glass of water - Im the opposite - I'll give him all the water he wants :tongue3:
The guys I hunt with do the same thing...if we hit an area with good targets we will go tell each other that weve found a good spot before we hunt it out...I find that most detectorist I meet are very friendly...everyone has there own ways but Ive got time to talk to you...even if I don't have time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some have limited time and just don't like to be disturbed and just want to hunt.....It isn't that they are unfriendly.......

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Williston once and seen a guy detecting. Well I love talking to detector people, so I pull over and start walking towards him and he sees me. This guy takes off running full speed jumps in his car and does a burnout. Most people here in Mt seem realy friendly.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was in Williston once and seen a guy detecting. Well I love talking to detector people, so I pull over and start walking towards him and he sees me. This guy takes off running full speed jumps in his car and does a burnout. Most people here in Mt seem realy friendly.

wth??? wierd...at least you got your turf back

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like he wasn't supposed to be there and thought you were the property owner.
Either that, or you're real ugly and he was scared. :laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see when you are rushed for time and have a chatty kathy coming towards you but no reason to be rude.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I nod and would talk, but sometimes the drive to the beach is 2 hours and don't have a lot of time. I like to say hi and ask how their hunt is but don't want to get drawn into a long conversation. There are times its OK but I'm there to hunt. Can go to a club or group hunt and talk.
I'm not a big talker, like to listen and hear stories but some people can really talk (I like the one above said "chatty Kathy") just don't know who it will be.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some have limited time and just don't like to be disturbed and just want to hunt.....It isn't that they are unfriendly.......
And then, some people just aren't the talkative type either. I like to keep it short and sweet. I won't ignore someone that talks to me while detecting but I'm not gonna tell them my life story either. That's more my wife's style than mine, lol.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you look behind you? Maybe a bear was coming up your 6! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread