Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok, just got back from 4 hrs of metal detecting a seldom scanned beach on the west coast of Florida. I know for a fact that it is seldom scanned because I averaged 22.3 coins per hr! WHAT!
021616 012.jpg

On the normal sanded beach, east or west coast of Florida, I average 7 coins/hr. Well scanned beaches - I may only see 2 coins/hr. A great beach for me is around 10 - 12 coins/hr. But over 20 coins/hr! Also found a nice stainless steel (China) Men’s wedding band and a really nice looking women’s ring of hearts with diamonds (?) in each of the 20 or so hearts. It is a white metal with no markings based on the naked eye. Have to investigate the heart further…and return to the beach.
021616 014.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... and there is the issue. Black sand in stripes from the surface down as far as I have checked (at least a foot).

I would really like to get an AT Pro, my budget would love it. But I may have to spring for a CZ 21. It is a multi-freq VLF correct? So it works well in dry sand too?

Yes, I have both. I use my AT Pro for working the dry sand (it's easier to avoid pull tabs and bottle caps), and then I used the CZ-21 if I think I am going to hit the wet sand or go in the water. I can hunt the dry with the CZ, it just takes me a little longer.

Excal and CZ-21 are the two most common choices. CZ is easier to use and easier on the ears since there is no constant threshold buzzing in your ears.

Excal gives you more audible information but you are the target ID mechanism so there is a steeper learning curve.

Both are great machines. There is also the CTX-3030 which is popular in the water but that is a very expensive machine.

After struggling to listen through the faint constant chatter of the AT Pro for awhile, the silence of the CZ-21's search mode was a huge relief. Now I'm basically day dreaming in complete silence until the WEEEET! blast of a target snaps me out of it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Good topic Lawrence. The musings over coins-per-hour, and gold rings to coin-ratios are something I'm always calculating after beach hunts .

The best I've ever seen it here in CA, after good beach storm erosion, is over 100 coins per hour. That's essentially "as fast as you can dig". Fun fun fun :)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting in the water I think I average about 7 coins an hour.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He hasn't used an AT Pro or BH in so long his memory is a bit fuzzy is all. lol

I was referring to how ATP & BH do not handle the salt content and black sand together them both being single freq. My memory is sharper than newbies that are still learning.:laughing7:

As for how many coins per hour, impossible to compare as some locations have more on some days than others.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I've searched beaches that didn't give up a single coin after several hours hunting. Other times I've had beaches that were like what Tom mentioned.....100 coins an hour. You just don't know until your put coil on sand.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't keep records anymore of my finds, but I usually get about 30-40 coins per outing ... which is usually five hours at the beach. So, that would be about 6 coins per hour. I get 1 ring every 7 hunts or so , which is 1 ring every 35 hours of hunting (sand and saltwater). The rings are mostly junk anyway. But there's a lot of competition in Waikiki.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Good topic Lawrence. The musings over coins-per-hour, and gold rings to coin-ratios are something I'm always calculating after beach hunts .

The best I've ever seen it here in CA, after good beach storm erosion, is over 100 coins per hour. That's essentially "as fast as you can dig". Fun fun fun :)

WOW I just bought a place in Florida and now I'm wondering if I should have bought in California instead - Best coin count/hr ever!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WITH THE GREENIES I SEE IN YOUR HAUL - ID BE GOING BACK THERE - IF YOURE GETTING COINS THAT BEEN THERE THAT LONG - GOT TO BE SOME SILVER OR GOLD THERE TOO---HOPE YOURE NOT CRANKING THE DISCRIM.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
It happens sometimes to have this high coin ratio in the surf when the beach has not been MD. You find so many old coins (better compound quality then the recent ones) but... can't use them or trade them anymore since euro has appeared.

It is NOT so commun to have this productivity ! I will say average is 2 / 3 coins per hour :dontknow:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was referring to how ATP & BH do not handle the salt content and black sand together them both being single freq. My memory is sharper than newbies that are still learning.:laughing7:

As for how many coins per hour, impossible to compare as some locations have more on some days than others.
The AT pro is not like other single freq detectors...there is something different about it that makes it way more stable in salt environment than all the single freq machines that came before it.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over Kill lives!:BangHead:
Really:dontknow:
Like Sandman said locations differ maybe the beach has stores, hotdog stands, Bars, ect... places that money and change are used!
Many factors can play into a beach with or without a high coin count!
For me........................... Coins suck I hate em!! Unless of course they are older than 1965!!!!:laughing7:
However, lately I have been killing the coin count this year, must have at least 75 clams in change this year (didn't even start hunting until Jan 21st):occasion14:!!

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is off the subject, but anyone else remember Over Kill, Over Kill? I miss his posts.:laughing7:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
This is off the subject, but anyone else remember Over Kill, Over Kill? I miss his posts.:laughing7:

This is off subject also..sandman not too hard to relocate to michigan?

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT pro is not like other single freq detectors...there is something different about it that makes it way more stable in salt environment than all the single freq machines that came before it.

Since you own both a CZ21 and an AT Pro.

If you could take only one of your detectors to a salt water beach with black sand throughout and the only coins show up in the same ranges as foil, 5 cents and pull tabs anyway. Plus, you aren't even sure if there is jewelry in the water because people here seem to not lose as much stuff as Americans and seldom wear jewelry to the beach.

Would it be the CZ 21 or the AT Pro?

Thanks.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-Z the CZ,
Its harder to lose one ring, easier if you wear three or more!

Foil, 5 cents, pull tabs and gold!!

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Deus v4? did some tests recently.....and trust me guys in june / july nobody will have another detector in mind :thumbsup:

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
WITH THE GREENIES I SEE IN YOUR HAUL - ID BE GOING BACK THERE - IF YOURE GETTING COINS THAT BEEN THERE THAT LONG - GOT TO BE SOME SILVER OR GOLD THERE TOO---HOPE YOURE NOT CRANKING THE DISCRIM.

Nope don't discriminate (except iron). Going back shortly based on the tide. But first got to fix my scoop, which I bent all up and tried to fix...now the bottom is falling out and I need to solder before next hunt...and I don't have a torch or solder or flux since I'm in Florida w/o any tools and such...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions