Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ok, just got back from 4 hrs of metal detecting a seldom scanned beach on the west coast of Florida. I know for a fact that it is seldom scanned because I averaged 22.3 coins per hr! WHAT!
021616 012.jpg

On the normal sanded beach, east or west coast of Florida, I average 7 coins/hr. Well scanned beaches - I may only see 2 coins/hr. A great beach for me is around 10 - 12 coins/hr. But over 20 coins/hr! Also found a nice stainless steel (China) Men’s wedding band and a really nice looking women’s ring of hearts with diamonds (?) in each of the 20 or so hearts. It is a white metal with no markings based on the naked eye. Have to investigate the heart further…and return to the beach.
021616 014.jpg

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to detect a beach in florida never know what the ocean will spit out. Something Mel Fisher missed. great Job

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt! I'm all over the place with coins winter vs. summer here in Cali. In winter, average 10-15 /HR. Summer I double that very easily. Low total is $.22 and high was around $23, not including pennies.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about our not so friendly finds pull tabs and Bottle caps??? Sweet finds hopefully you average is better than mine 4 to 1 pull tabs bottle caps to Coins

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The seldom scanned beach had very few junk targets - about 1 bad for 4 good. This compares to a near by beach where the ratio is reversed and a guesstimate is 3-4 bad for 1 good. Also, over the last few yrs my coins have averaged about 50% cents.

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad for 4 hours,love to know the distance one covers during.that time.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
When I want to go for distance, I average about 1 mile/hr, say along the high tide line. In the recent 4-hr hunt, I gridded-off part of the beach and hunted about 150yds x 40 yds - went so slowly because I kept busy digging good targets and very few bad ones. However, found both rings in the trough, created by waves, just about 2 yds from the high water mark. Discovered it late in my hunt and ran out of time...I'm sure more of them are just waiting for me and my Excalibur to return. Nothing wrong with eating from the trough...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a pretty good average. The best I've ever done was with the 3x18 cleansweep coil at a local school.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Looks like you have found a beach where the replenished sand has washed out.
Older and green coins...I would definitely go back!
As for coins...I have never really counted, but I have gone an entire hunt usually 4 hours with out a coin.
I have also pulled up over 130 coins in a day's hunt, probably 6 hours or so.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, those are some impressive numbers.
I started tracking my finds here on the beach.
I'm new and maybe slow but on this urban beach I've spent 13.5 hours, dug 350 junk items (191 pulltabs) and 19 coins.
No jewelry so far except a few pieces of junk costume stuff.

I am stuck in the dry sand for now so I am hoping that later this year with a new detector and more experience it'll get better.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice hunt! I'm all over the place with coins winter vs. summer here in Cali. In winter, average 10-15 /HR. Summer I double that very easily. Low total is $.22 and high was around $23, not including pennies.

What is your coin to gold ratio on the west coast? Over last four years, on the Florida east and west coasts, I have averaged 200-250 coins per gold (including platinum).

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wow, those are some impressive numbers.
I started tracking my finds here on the beach.
I'm new and maybe slow but on this urban beach I've spent 13.5 hours, dug 350 junk items (191 pulltabs) and 19 coins.
No jewelry so far except a few pieces of junk costume stuff.

I am stuck in the dry sand for now so I am hoping that later this year with a new detector and more experience it'll get better.

Sounds like you're in the upper wash area where lighter items are washed-up. Go more towards the water and wet sand (and trough) if possible. I always figure if I'm finding nickels and sinkers gold is close by. Also make sure you have a detector, if VLF, with a frequency (e.g., ATPro is 15Khz) of 12Khz or higher. Low frequency machines won't even detect gold!

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is your coin to gold ratio on the west coast? Over last four years, on the Florida east and west coasts, I have averaged 200-250 coins per gold (including platinum).

It's about right there on average. In a decent cut at some of the beaches I hunt, you can pull 3-4 rings in a 4 hour hunt making it more like 75-1

Feb 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you're in the upper wash area where lighter items are washed-up. Go more towards the water and wet sand (and trough) if possible. I always figure if I'm finding nickels and sinkers gold is close by. Also make sure you have a detector, if VLF, with a frequency (e.g., ATPro is 15Khz) of 12Khz or higher. Low frequency machines won't even detect gold!

My BH can't operate in the wet sand. By the time I detune enough to stop falsing in the wet sand it can't see Brazilian coins. It might see a huge item? But testing shows that any coin 1 inch into the sand is invisible. :-( So, new detector coming later this year. :-)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My BH can't operate in the wet sand. By the time I detune enough to stop falsing in the wet sand it can't see Brazilian coins. It might see a huge item? But testing shows that any coin 1 inch into the sand is invisible. :-( So, new detector coming later this year. :-)

A AT Pro won't be any better than your BH.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That is a lot of coins! I hunt Mississippi beaches every 4-6 weeks. Last trip was my best coin day, and it was about 5 coins per hour. I hope I can increase that number as summer rolls back around and I'm identifying better beaches.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A AT Pro won't be any better than your BH.

Nah. I used my AT Pro in the water up until I got the CZ. In pro mode it has a very faint hum of chatter ... but good targets (big or under 8") are loud and clear. I've dug sunglasses so deep I've almost broken my scoop. It works fine. I did a comparison in wet sand with the CZ and surprisingly the max depth was not much different.

The big difference and reason I upgraded is that at max depth the AT Pro gives a very faint tone which can easily be lost in the faint chatter. The CZ gives a very loud clear tone (when boost is enabled) even at max depth, and there is no chatter to listen through. Also, the AT Pro is more susceptible to corrosion and more sensitive to small bits of rust.

Now, if you are on a heavily mineralized beach (black sand and bits on magnetic debris) yeah the AT Pro will annoy you to no end. : |

Last edited:

Feb 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now, if you are on a heavily mineralized beach (black sand and bits on magnetic debris) yeah the AT Pro will annoy you to no end. : |

... and there is the issue. Black sand in stripes from the surface down as far as I have checked (at least a foot).

I would really like to get an AT Pro, my budget would love it. But I may have to spring for a CZ 21. It is a multi-freq VLF correct? So it works well in dry sand too?

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
5 & 15kHz. Yes, it works well in dry sand as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread