Is a Low VLF Detector Sensitive to Gold?

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Low vs High Frequency Detectors fro Detecting Gold
In another thread, the issue was raised as to whether a low VLF detector can detect gold as well as a high VLF detector? In an earlier thread on TreasureNet, someone had noted last year (?) that when they compared their low VLF detector to their higher VLF detector that the low VLF detector was silent on gold while their higher VLF detector readily responded to gold.

Would love to hear feedback on the issue of frequency and gold detection particularly since there are quite a few low VLF machines out there (usually the inexpensive models) that run at as low as 2.8 KHz. Will these detectors ever find gold? It may also be informative to note that gold detectors run at higher frequencies; for example, the AT Gold runs at 18KHz and the Gold Bug runs at 19KHz.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Additional Information about frequency and gold detection:
The library at Kellyco discusses detector frequency and gold nugget size. Not sure how this relates to manufactured gold items. There may be a case for low frequencies detecting larger gold pieces and higher frequencies detecting smaller gold pieces.
Gold

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If you're talking nugget sized/sub gram targets then your 2.8khz will not see it. If your asking like dime sized gold rings or ladies small engagement rings or small gold pendants, you can still find with a VLF. Any detector will find gold rings. Prospecting for tiny gold is obviously where you need the higher frequency detectors.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Gold detector frequencies are higher than many 'all around' machines. The frequency of a machine tells you a lot about how the machine will behave to various targets.

You will see machines that are specifically for gold detecting with frequencies of 20kHz and up. The MXT from Whites is 14kHz, so it is better on low conductors than the XLT, which runs at 6.59kHz.

It is a fairly complex concept, since gold detecting (prospecting) takes you into very mineralized areas.

If you are seriously MDing, I would argue that you will not have much success with the very low end machines.

Let the flame wars begin!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For this post, not all gold is gold. By this I mean there is a difference between freq needed for gold nuggets and lower freq for gold rings. Just saying low frequencies are not good for gold is miss information for a newbie that wants a detector for beach hunting for example. But higher freq are also not the best unless your Prospecting where ya need the extra sensitivity for those tiny pickers.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I've found just as many gold rings with my Ace 250 running at 6.5khz as I have with my AT Pro running at 15khz.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
For this post, not all gold is gold. By this I mean there is a difference between freq needed for gold nuggets and lower freq for gold rings. Just saying low frequencies are not good for gold is miss information for a newbie that wants a detector for beach hunting for example. But higher freq are also not the best unless your Prospecting where ya need the extra sensitivity for those tiny pickers.

Sandman, I was responding to the statement in the question of whether a low VLF detector can detect gold as well as a high VLF detector. I did not get a sense that the poster was referring to gold rings or nuggets.

I would stand by my opinion that lower conductors, suck as nickels and foil AND smaller gold, get better signal response from a detector that operates in the ~15kHz range rather than single digit machines.

Of course, my comment about cheap detectors was just bait...

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
To expand on the low conductor idea, my XLT would always get 'fooled' by small foil. My MXT would correctly identify it. Same with Nickels, MXT was way 'hotter' on those.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Four of my detectors have the following frequency and I find the higher the frequency the more sensitive they are to the tiny gold (like earring backs}, and very fine almost invisible gold necklaces. Of course other factors have an effect on each of their sensitivity, such as detector's settings, coil size ground mineralization etc.
My testing has been with a target on a lawn's surface.

White 6000 DI Series II: 6.6KHz,
Troy X2: 9.6KHz,
ATPro: 15KHz, NOTE: the ATGold operates at 18KHz. This should give you a hit as to an answer.
Troy X5: 19KHz

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I've found just as many gold rings with my Ace 250 running at 6.5khz as I have with my AT Pro running at 15khz.

But how many gold rings did you miss? All gold rings are not equal. Excellent book by Keener and Feiler on "Finding Rings with the Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur" examines how certain rings are detected and others not by certain Discrimination settings. Imagine a similar situation for frequency of detector and what kind of rings ya find. Sounds like a case can be made for multiple frequency machines since they would seem to be able to detect both small and large size gold objects since the possibility exists that different frequencies detect gold objects of different sizes.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Ace 250 can pick up all the gold rings Ive found with my AT Pro...but the AT picks them up deeper.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
good topic and good answers so far. Bear in mind that some detectors said to be good for gold [jewelry] are not good in mineralized wet salt. Like some 2-filter tesoros and the Whites Classic series, etc.... are said to be good for things like dainty chains, earing studs, etc... in sandboxes. While a Sovereign, or CZ6, or whatever will miss dainty gold items like that. Yet those 2-filter machines would be lousy on mineralized wet salt. Also you'd only get half the depth on normal ring sized objects.

So the question you're asking is a "it depends" sort of question :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low vs High Frequency Detectors fro Detecting Gold
In another thread, the issue was raised as to whether a low VLF detector can detect gold as well as a high VLF detector? In an earlier thread on TreasureNet, someone had noted last year (?) that when they compared their low VLF detector to their higher VLF detector that the low VLF detector was silent on gold while their higher VLF detector readily responded to gold.

Would love to hear feedback on the issue of frequency and gold detection particularly since there are quite a few low VLF machines out there (usually the inexpensive models) that run at as low as 2.8 KHz. Will these detectors ever find gold? It may also be informative to note that gold detectors run at higher frequencies; for example, the AT Gold runs at 18KHz and the Gold Bug runs at 19KHz.
To answer your first question......yes, if the gold target is big enough and shallow enough. Stud earrings and smaller can be a challenge for most low freq VLF's. As mentioned, there are many other factors to consider as not all gold is equal, nor are the hunting conditions.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont be confused by MLs multi freq which is operating at about 3kHz..... all those HARMONICS arent being use just a couple of the best averaged with a third for GB. They can get a piece of gold jewerly about .3 grams. Raw gold and salt water hunting are different animals. In the case of land/dry sand single freq can be a better choice. You just have to choose the right one for the target, mineralization, or EMI. There are trade offs to each choice be it multi freq or single freq. I believe sandman said it best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread