ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Greetings all. Just joined and have been looking over a lot of posts. You sure have plenty of people with vast experience on this site. I consider myself a very experienced diver and avid detectorist. I have been diving Michigan inland lakes since around 2002. My qualifications are PADI open water certified in 1980. Search and Rescue while I was a state cop in Utah, and I have sort of a business here in Michigan where I find things people have lost free of charge. I have a website and I have business cards. My website is Robert,* AKA Lord of the Rings - Home I give free advice and offer my services only on it.

This is the first year in the last 3 years that I didn't have a booth at the Detroit Boat Show in Cobo hall.

I say I am not your normal pirate because I have given back 37 gold rings and two sterling ID bracelets. Back in the 50's and 60's the technology was not out for people to find their lost rings. I have made a lot of people happy and enjoy that aspect of the hobby.

Anyway. I have been featured in 7 newspapers, on the Detroit News 3 times and have helped many people in the last 4 years. I find things for insurance companies and live my dream.

This is an old video but it is one example of one of the news segments I was featured on.

I have found hundreds of rings I have not been able to return. I actually lived off my finds for a few years. It was just worth gold value to me and to the owners I thought much much more. Sometimes that wasn't the case though. I have many positive stories and a few not so positive. However, I do what I feel is right. I also don't judge others for doing what they feel is right. I have friends that are 100% pirates. That is their choice and it is respected.

I find the last time I was featured on the news and in the papers as funny, although because of the way it was handled, it made me look stupid. HOWEVER, there is a lot more to the story than what was put out there. If you google Port Huron bomb, you will get the idea. However I was a cop for 9 years and I am smart enough NOT to be driving around with live or possibly live WW1 bombs in my truck. The chief of police here had an issue with me having them. The state bomb squad Sgt. knew me from finding one the year before and told him he couldn't take them from me. He was pissed.

Everyone enjoy your life, your finds and what you decide to do with your finds. We have a fun and profitable hobby if we work at it and don't expect much.

My advice is always free and I try to help everyone I can that asks. I know sometimes I don't come across to others the way I intend to. That has already been pointed out on this site. In the last 4 years, I have had the police called on me well over 20 times. I don't break any laws HOWEVER, I back down to nobody, not even an officer. I have had three tickets will diving and detecting and all three were dismissed. I ticked one sheriff officer off so much he threatened to tow my truck. I told him go ahead. I know all the Michigan laws on riparian rights and my rights and I refuse to let nosy people try to infringe on my rights.

Anyway, this is me in a nutshell. I am really excited for this season of diving. I have a newer truck, a newer cabin cruiser and a newer speedboat to get me to some wonderful spots on some of the 11 thousand lakes in Michigan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way cool! I'm Terry, and I'm just a regular pirate.

Attachments

• IMG_20160227_131446.jpg
    IMG_20160227_131446.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 127

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard TNet! I'm not even a pirate...

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Way cool! I'm Terry, and I'm just a regular pirate.

Terry, what happened to your right hand??

Is that Jeff Dunham standing next to you on the right?

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robert I think we've met. I dove many lakes in southeast Michigan.

Dennis

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Robert I think we've met. I dove many lakes in southeast Michigan.

Dennis

Do you keep a boat at Belle Maer marina? I thought I met you at Poor Man's Beach. LOL but with my memory anything is possible!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Scuba D you should post us a picture of one of your extreme finds... Like the WW I bombs found on one of your adventures.

Waiting to see some of your summer treasures...:notworthy:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you keep a boat at Belle Maer marina? I thought I met you at Poor Man's Beach. LOL but with my memory anything is possible!
No I never moored there.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Scuba D you should post us a picture of one of your extreme finds... Like the WW I bombs found on one of your adventures.

Waiting to see some of your summer treasures...:notworthy:

Greetings OBN! You are here also. Sweet. If you click on the link in my original post a few of my finds are there along with my website. I also have a thread under My Best Finds that has some crazy finds.

LOL YOU NOT WORTHY?? Funny funny. I absolutely love your gold finds and stories. Just because I have fresh water history here that doesn't rust away doesn't mean I am any better of a detectorist than you are. You are a hard one to top and I very much enjoy every one of your posts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Greetings and welcome aboard Scuba D! I have read many of your informative posts on other web sites.

Thank you Terry. Hope I can help others here also.

Thanks all for the comments. I will be around!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet. I'm a reformed Michigander. Lived in the points for most of my life before breaking free and moving to LA. I bet there's a ton of lakes there that are loaded and rarely hunted. I personally deposited a gold ring in Walled Lake myself 30 years ago....black onyx and diamonds if you have it lol.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sweet. I'm a reformed Michigander. Lived in the points for most of my life before breaking free and moving to LA. I bet there's a ton of lakes there that are loaded and rarely hunted. I personally deposited a gold ring in Walled Lake myself 30 years ago....black onyx and diamonds if you have it lol.

I got a beautiful black onyx and diamond ring out of Pontiac lake. Not much in the way of gold out of Walled. Two platinum on the east side by the bar. And a 100.00 bill.

A bit blurry but this was my only black onyx and diamond ring. 21 diamonds:

Did you loose it where the park is and where the amusement park was?

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

your theme song

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a beautiful black onyx and diamond ring out of Pontiac lake. Not much in the way of gold out of Walled. Two platinum on the east side by the bar. And a 100.00 bill.

A bit blurry but this was my only black onyx and diamond ring. 21 diamonds:

Did you loose it where the park is and where the amusement park was?

Lost it when a swan attacked me on my jet ski lol. I'm sure it's buried in 25ft of mud by now. Nice haul of rings.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Robert. I was thinking of vacationing somewhere along southern Lake Michigan this year. Any suggestions on good beaches to check out?

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
South east or south west? I am on the south east side. I know of one on the south west side I hit once and really want to hit again. On the east side the best ones are gotten to by boat. Let me know your plans.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking South east side somewhere that I can get to without a boat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread