Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
After conversing w “Top” from Rio De Janeiro on TreasureNet, I decided to start saving some of my trash found while MDing.

031116 Danger items 007.jpg

Junk found while metal detecting Florida beaches (in 9Q bucket). From only 3 - 4 outings. I recover some targets even if I know they’re “junk”, just to see what they are. Sometimes I’m surprised with tools or other Keeper items (fishing net - cool).

Imagine multiplying my trash by the number of all you beach MDers…you see where I’m going. That’s a lot of trash. Worse (or better depending on your perspective), a lot of the trash is downright dangerous. In the past few months alone I have come across a rusty razor blade, multiple fishing hooks, jagged pop or beer cans and a saw blade, to name a few. Below are pics, of recently recovered items, including a bottle top with broken glass neck and saw blade. Although weathered, the broken glass neck would still do damage if directly stepped on. The rusty pointed saw blade would do serious damage and require a tetanus shot. Now you know why I always wear shoes or sandals on the beach (hard soled diving boots in water…but they won’t help w the sting rays).

031116 Danger items 001.jpg 031116 Danger items 004.jpg

Would like to see what others have found and what the worse is. Next time there is legislation against metal detecting; we should send the law makers all of our recovered garbage and dangerous items...free.

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457842266.034001.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457842302.787360.jpg

The stakes are from 1 hunt after a storm. The bucket represents about 3 months of work. I've found several open knives in the sand and many broken bottles.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large Treble hooks, hate em

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found these two beauties on a beach hunt last year...
image.jpeg

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a lot of dangerous objects
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/6831926173/in/photostream/lightbox/
all kinds of broken glass - which I try to take out - and lots of rusty hooks
I sent a bunch of pics in for fight against politicians trying to stop detecting in my state - mine and others
changed their minds for now - trash pics along with 100s of return stories helped too
so take pics of trash and of dangerous items and of returns and store them away - they may come in handy down the road

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After all the glass attached to metal bottlecaps and fish hooks that I have dug up, I will never go barefoot at the beach again. Totally changed my perspective. I worry about all the little kids playing in all that too.

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it amazing that from what I have read that they have banned metal detecting on a lot of the beaches. Looks like they would be getting them cleaned for free and save the taxpayer some money.

Ugly J

Greenie
Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E trac X-1, SEF 8x6
Excalibur II
Equinox 800
ATX
AT pro
White's 5900 Dipro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When beach goers ask if I had any luck. I'm always proud to show them the rusty sharp tent spike's, shards of aluminum, cell phone batteries, rusty open knives, rusty twist tops,hooks, drug addict needles and so on. I empty my pouch several times a day because of all the junk I pull from the beach. I have a family and I want them to be safe when they are at the beach. A pound of junk removed, gives me several grams of good carma. I too will not go barfoot at the beach.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I direct a small group of volunteers that clean our counties beaches on a regular bases for just this reason. We are the only ones allowed to detect in the swim areas because there is fabric under the sand so we use non pointed flat screened scoops. We usually turn in a gallon bag of harmful trash on cleanup days. We get to keep any money we find and jewelry found is recorded so after so many days the finder gets to keep it. We get a free pass for our work at 7 AM cause we have to leave the water at 10 AM when the beach opens. It' a wasted living with the reward being you saved someone from injury. 038.jpg :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Ugly J

Greenie
Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E trac X-1, SEF 8x6
Excalibur II
Equinox 800
ATX
AT pro
White's 5900 Dipro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg Some dangerous junk from some of my last hunts and my toxic lead collection. image.jpg

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got stuck by a druggy needle once

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well LawrencetheMDer and everyone else. You are making me feel better about my trash level. I certainly do not find that much of a variety of trash and never anything as dangerous as some of those items. The worst I find here are shredded cans. Maybe a few rusty tent stakes.

I'm looking for a good hunt in the morning (2016-03-14). Lots of protesters on the beach today. People not really 'coming to the beach' so I saw plenty of jewelry maybe someone lost something and I can pirate it. :-)

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
found a few of the triangular blades for a utility knife one time, theres no good reason they should have been in there. someone meant damage

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the Jersey beaches I've hunted, I have come across needles and I take the time in securing them safely so some child don't poke themselves.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
I have found so much dangerous stuff I don't even know where to begin.

Razor blades, broken glass, knives, grenade fuses, guns, i guess a bomb before I knew it was only a practice one.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not so worried about the knives, glass and needles that I come across, as opposed to some of the greasy characters or groups of them that have eyeballed me. I tend to go to old seedy neighborhoods for older coins, which can be rewarding and or spooky, on any given day.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a discarded Walmart checker once...just kidding but I have found knives and plenty of other sharp objects

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most dangerous / often found:
metal recepticals with broken shards of glass attached from flourscent and incadescent light bulbs.
screw on bottle caps with broken glass sticking out
Rusty iron sharps: rebar with jagged ends, fish hooks
open cans (usually food) with sharp edges/ can lids.
Satellite sinkers (wires poking out ) - Will poke thru waders shoes/bare feet like punji stakes
Large pieces of can slaw.

Wear shoes, Wear gloves, to keep from getting cut and keep your tetnus shots current!

Most feared: Hypodermic needles (sharps) - usually found visually as most metal detectors cannot detect them.

Most disgusting: Soft Pooh (Dry Sand), Chocklate colored bottom(s)/muck,
contaminated/stagnant water.

Don't get me wrong!

As an Aquarian, my life has been onw with the water: beach combing, fishing, swimming, free and scuba diving, treasure hunting, surfing, and now beach and shallow water metal detecting.

I always respected the beach and understood it's dangerous: badly sun burnt, pulled out to sea by strong rip tides/currents, things with teeth, things with barbs, falling off a cliff, etcera, etecetera.
It is non forgiving, if you do not know and respect it.

But it was not until I took up metal detecting, that I truly understood how badly the beaches are being littered
and destroyed needlessly because of lazyness, apathy, carelessness.

That is beyond non forgiving, beyond any word that I can write, beyond any emotion - no matter how negative.

What is sad, really sad is that it is world wide, and needless.
More needs to be done than posting pictures on the web of the trash found, or being polite.
It is far more than metal detecting which is at stake.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pulled an 8" razor sharp steak knife out of a volleyball court where toddlers were playing once. Parents were in disbelief.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread