Confused

Brit888

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A beach which can get very busy in the summer and until recently always had campers stopping in the dunes for around 4 months of the year. Also all night fishermen in summer months.

I have never seen it being detected in at least 10 years and thought i was on to a winner.

The beach is grass covered dunes above high tide and a smooth deep sand beach of about 50 yards to low tide where the sea just ripples on to it as it is in a sheltered area where the sea rarely gets rough or has heavy breakers, in fact wave height is from a few inches to a few feet maximum.

So low tide at waters edge in 2 plus hours i had around only 10 signals which ranged from a gold earing, coin to nails and aluminium bits. Most signals at 8" and deeper. Checked other areas of the beach up to high tide mark and nothing until i went into the dunes above high tide then bottle tops but it was too dark by then.

Garrett sea hunter working perfectly.

All this in the most popular used part of the beach 150 yards by 50 yards.

Is the sea washing this beach and taking items below low tide or is this beach picked clean?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wonder where you been hitting cause every state ive been to - digging in or on the dunes is against the law
dunes in new england states - you cant even walk on or across
im in fla. right now and saw signs on alot of the dunes here
just a heads up if you see men in uniform coming towards you with shiney bracelets for you to try on
while digging a target in the sea grass on the dunes

OP
OP
B

Brit888

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Casper I am not in the USA and also the trashy bottle tops in the dunes are littered everywhere on and below the surface so do not need digging and i have to walk through the dunes from the beach to the car park. I assume this is why they stopped people camping in this area as they camped in the grass covered dunes.

Just to clarify i mentioned the dunes and rubbish(bottle tops) to explain that there is masses of metalic items around the beach. Between high and low tide on the beach is where i was detecting and basically nothing and the sea hunter goes to great depth for even small items. One item was a small 1/4" screw.

Last edited:

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A beach which can get very busy in the summer and until recently always had campers stopping in the dunes for around 4 months of the year. Also all night fishermen in summer months.

I have never seen it being detected in at least 10 years and thought i was on to a winner.

The beach is grass covered dunes above high tide and a smooth deep sand beach of about 50 yards to low tide where the sea just ripples on to it as it is in a sheltered area where the sea rarely gets rough or has heavy breakers, in fact wave height is from a few inches to a few feet maximum.

Bottle caps are from people on the beach, maybe hanging out near the dunes, or more likely the wind blowing the sand (which is how the dunes formed).

The lack of targets, is due to the small light waves, carrying only light sand, building it up over time. Big waves take sand, small waves bring sand.

That's my guess. Hit it after a heavy storm, or while the crowd is in the water.

OP
OP
B

Brit888

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks i understand what you mean by light waves dropping off sand but i would have thought the sea hunter would find deep targets in the sand, although there were 2 targets which were so deep i gave up as the holes were just refilling.

Do you think that because nearly all targets were at waters edge at low tide that the targets have been moved to below the low tide level and the sea is washing the beach?

There is one section of this beach where the sea seems to drop billions of empty or broken shells. They all seem to be in this one area. I never detected here.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Sounds like the classic "Sanded In" term that we all use. The daily tide, wave and wind cycle tends to bury the targets under probably a couple feet of sand everyday. It may seem calm and not much going on but its amazing how much a beach can shift its sand around. With dunes, the wind is probably a big factor. If you're only hitting light targets at a minimum of 8" deep. It sure sounds like you're "Sanded In". Recheck during the year to find out when its optimal, because I bet that if you go at the right time, you will do well.

OP
OP
B

Brit888

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the sea was washing the beach and taking targets below the low tide level then it would also take the sand as well, so what you are saying does make sense and the targets are well buried. This did have me really confused as to why there was next to nothing to be found.

Thanks.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Many, many factors can affect.. What are the summer water temps? I have a few beach's that draw a lot but they have little to lose due to wealth. Also I've found it may take me several trips just to locate a hot spot. If I were to walk out and detect these beach's a few times I would think they were useless but only thru hitting them a lot and at there lowest tides am I able to get out far and dig treasures...Last year I had one beach that I killed the gold, think it was 53 gold rings, this year it is bleak... sand moves, stuff move, one cut closes, another opens...

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get to know your beach! Visit, detect it as often as you can (especially when you get bad weather or extreme wind) this way you will see changes that can improve find count.
Time and effort will help to identify when you should call in sick and go detecting!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other

So low tide at waters edge in 2 plus hours i had around only 10 signals which ranged from a gold earing, coin to nails and aluminium bits. Most signals at 8" and deeper. Checked other areas of the beach up to high tide mark and nothing until i went into the dunes above high tide then bottle tops but it was too dark by then.

Garrett sea hunter working perfectly.

All this in the most popular used part of the beach 150 yards by 50 yards.

Is the sea washing this beach and taking items below low tide or is this beach picked clean?

Have you considered just going back after a good storm?

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lack of targets, is due to the small light waves, carrying only light sand, building it up over time. Big waves take sand, small waves bring sand.

Well said. Good info.

OP
OP
B

Brit888

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all.

A lot of deep thinking and you are all correct as this beach is really well sheltered with no waves at all really which makes it so popular.

Stupid thing is I have been waiting for the weather to improve so that I can get out there to the beach and now I realise thats when I should have been there.:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions