gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use just that, post hole digger handle, but mine is thick enough to not flex much. I epoxied a wood dowel about a foot long on the inside bottom to give more strength at the lower end where the most stress is and to seal out water.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Been using the same one's about 7 or 8 years now. Yet to break one, I just put plugs in the ends that way they float..

OP
OP
penzfan

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well........I decided to fill the shaft with 28 oz of Fiberglass Resin/Hardener after inserting some 48" fiberglass strips inside. I'll see what that does to stiffen things up. That thing was SUPER HOT while the resin was setting up.

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put a short dowel in mine just to protect the part that attaches to the scoop of my stealth. The other scoop is a stavr knock off and I bought a hoe at ace and cut the trowel off and it wasn't quite big enough around. Gonna use it for the time being. Just looped it with emergency tape till it was snug and screwed it in. Still not as light as id like. Would love a carbon fiber handle but they're so expensive! When the scoop cost more than the detector :laughing7:

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
penzfan. paste in glue 1 foot dowel (wood or glass fiber) in pipe just to protect the part that attaches to the scoop

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a HOE handle. I put a 2' hard wood dowel in the bottom and seal/epoxy it. The top is already sealed so the handle stands up in the water. Ive had this handle for over 3 years on a starvr scoop digging concrete like sand and shells. About $17. 002.jpg I also modified my scoop because the single bolt hole at the bottom doesnt work with fiberglass. You twist and pull........ it splits and will start to move with wear from the sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread