Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last week I sent in some of my finds to ARA recyclers and was pleasantly surprised as to my final cash outcome. I deposited my check via online deposit on the 14th. Started doing a little shopping and purchased a new detector which I like A LOT. Went to get some stuff this morning the 19th and card declined. Called bank and they stated ARA check BOUNCED!!! Called ARA and they stated that it is a rarity but it happens because they front soo many customers 90%. I was a lot angry at this point but Tom at ARA wired the money ASAP and stated that any overdraft fees will be covered as long as I show proof of fees. Moral of this scenario is if you request a check wait 4 to 5 days to make sure it clears or as Tom stated always request a wire transfer. Just my first dealings with them and am disappointed.

Moderator please move this to the appropriate forum if this is not the correct one.

Upvote 0

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good post Todd. Disappointing for sure but I believe you handled the situation with class. You very well could have posted a real negative post but you have given every one a heads up on a potential problem. Thanks!

Cliff

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELL,what detector did you buy!!!!
Great outcome to a possible headache.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARA has done good by me! I worry much more about the postal service when sending my yellow:laughing7::skullflag:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
I also have been very pleased with ARA.

Joe

OP
OP
T

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Minelab CTX 3030 Whuuhuuu. Now all I have to is find more of that yellow stuff. I got one heck of a deal from metaldetectingstuff.com

garviso8

Aug 10, 2014
hialeah fl
Detector(s) used
minelab safari/cz-21 /bounty hunter quick draw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Minelab CTX 3030 Whuuhuuu. Now all I have to is find more of that yellow stuff. I got one heck of a deal from metaldetectingstuff.com
must of been one heck of a sale to ara ..wow!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to sell to Midwest Refineries as they are close to me, but am very pleased withARA.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
First I have ever heard of them, and just out of curiosity had to check what percentage under spot they buy at, not exactly great but I did not see a minimum weight sale, so if that is the case then it is pretty good. I get 3% under spot but have to have at least a kilogram to sell.

What caught my interest was the diamond section. I have 20+ years of removed stones from my finds, and you have to jump through a damn hoop in Europe to sell stones. Their process seems very painless. I just have to contact them and see if they deal with International sellers that have a US bank account. Man that would really make my day, actually finding someone who buys stones. As hard as they are to sell here, they are just pretty much worthless in Europe.

Thanks for the site info, and I am happy to hear they make things right, even on a rare screw up.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
First I have ever heard of them, and just out of curiosity had to check what percentage under spot they buy at, not exactly great but I did not see a minimum weight sale, so if that is the case then it is pretty good. I get 3% under spot but have to have at least a kilogram to sell.

What caught my interest was the diamond section. I have 20+ years of removed stones from my finds, and you have to jump through a damn hoop in Europe to sell stones. Their process seems very painless. I just have to contact them and see if they deal with International sellers that have a US bank account. Man that would really make my day, actually finding someone who buys stones. As hard as they are to sell here, they are just pretty much worthless in Europe.

Thanks for the site info, and I am happy to hear they make things right, even on a rare screw up.

[ We used to own an independent jewelry store] . Small diamonds are worth very little . Most small ones are poor quality & mostly just used to accent jewelry . It may cost a buyer more in labor to remove the small stones, than they are worth.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad they made it right. Everybody makes mistakes, but how they handled it speaks volumes for their credibility.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
I used to sell to Midwest Refineries as they are close to me, but am very pleased withARA.

Same here, switched to ARA for the diamonds which they remove any will buy if you like their offer. No issues with them, but may ask for the wire next time.

MadmansLegend

Apr 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used Midwest Refineries and to make a long story short stay away from this scammer. I submitted about $3800 of gold items. After calculating the weight using a calibrated scale, measuring the karat rating of the gold pieces with the AGT3 Digital Gold & Platinum Tester to make sure of the purity of the gold pieces I only received $2300. What a RIP OFF!!! Even considering that 10 or 15% gets lost from the refining process that should still leave me with $3200. This guy profits on peoples ignorance and the fact that not many people know how to test and calculate the accurate amount of scrap gold. Bottom line if you don' t want to be scammed stay away from Midwest Refineries. What an arrogant and rude POS when talking with him.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I used Midwest Refineries and to make a long story short stay away from this scammer. I submitted about $3800 of gold items. After calculating the weight using a calibrated scale, measuring the karat rating of the gold pieces with the AGT3 Digital Gold & Platinum Tester to make sure of the purity of the gold pieces I only received $2300. What a RIP OFF!!! Even considering that 10 or 15% gets lost from the refining process that should still leave me with $3200. This guy profits on peoples ignorance and the fact that not many people know how to test and calculate the accurate amount of scrap gold. Bottom line if you don' t want to be scammed stay away from Midwest Refineries. What an arrogant and rude POS when talking with him.

I also used Midwest a few years ago. I also got less than expected AND, the original receipt had one date on it, BUT then someone hand wrote a second date on the receipt. I checked gold prices, and the price dropped from the original receipt date to the handwritten date. So they shafted me on more money by simply writing a new date on it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many members have used Midwest with great results..

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread