DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a scoop/sifter to hunt some sandy beach areas around here in Tennessee. I had one like it back in the 70's but when it wore out I sort of quit hunting swimming areas. I'm going to try it again in the morning if all goes well. My wife gave me a stainless steel 6" pan to make it. I finally found a drill bit that would cut the stainless after breaking 2 bits. I had already put dents in the bottom with a hammer and a nail so the drill bit would cut without going all over the place. The drill bit I ended up using was a little bigger and the holes aren't as perfect as I planned but it will do I guess. I drilled holes in the handle and attached it to a shovel handle with screws. I just thought I would post this in case someone else was thinking about the same thing. I better keep a screw driver with me for when the screws back out. Happy hunting all.

DANGLANGLEY

Attachments

• IMG_3519.JPG
    IMG_3519.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_3522.JPG
    IMG_3522.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_3524.JPG
    IMG_3524.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 564
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Probably wouldn't hurt to run a few laps of ducttape around the pot handle for a little bit of stress relief on the wooden handle.

Good luck!

Yeah buddy, I was thinking the same thing but I was excited about showing it I guess. Thank you very much and have a great weekend.

DANGLANGLEY

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
looks to be a good strong handle, yes S.S. very hard to drill, i have some 3/8 inch mess wire for a sifter im making.
looking for your next post on how well it worked. rjn

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets see some pics of the beaches you use it on. you done good work and your persistence is inspiring - I know it had to be a chore to drill that SS!

The lakes around here have a mix of sand and rock so that style would never do. About 20 yards out it's soft sand. 10 yards closer to shore, ROCK CITY. You need a solid scoop with a sharp pointed tip. But let us know how it works out.

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but my beach hunt got all wet. Had a sickness in the family and will have to reschedule for next weekend I guess. Have a good one you all.

DANGLANGLEY

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
Sad to hear about the sickness hope all is well.very nice scoop think i will be making one real soon.

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I forgot to update about how the sifter worked...It worked pretty good in the sand out in the water. I think I need to drill some more holes up the side to let the sand and water out quicker. I did find a nice sterling ring out in about 2 1/2" of water. Here's a pic of the ring

Attachments

• IMG_3826.JPG
    IMG_3826.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_3826.JPG
    IMG_3826.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 352

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
nice ring , good to see you got back out thnks for the photo and up date, rjnail

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to build your own equipment, but that's the fun of it too. SS is very hard to work with when drilling, I know. All the commercially made SS scoops have the holes punched out on presses. Note the pic below of the scoop I like to use. However it costs lots more than a homemade one. I still have some of my old scoops and wonder if I'll ever throw them away.

Nice ring too.

Attachments

• STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 277
  • STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 270

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread