Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never used a pulse detector,
But I'm sure there will be a fair amount of lead sinkers and other Fishing paraphernalia.
beer and soda cans, tabs and bits of aluminum.
however you'll want to dig everything because those gold rings that slip off in water ring up
in the foil / can tab range . I personally wouldn't be without discrim of some type though.
and ease into the separate items if it is very Trashy.
you don't want to stick your coil in and have a Solid wall of one tone signal.
if that's the case you may as well go in with a front end loader
and use a Screen on land :tongue3:

also how trashy actually may depend on how much use & speed of water.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
VLF only, I have a friend over on the eastern shore that we hunt together once and awhile and we both use the CTX in the rivers/bay because of so much trash. My last trip there we hit a old beach called cedar grove or something like that. It was sanded in but in close I pulled Indians, V nickles. No Gold but the place needs more times there I believe. A few years ago I hit another beach in Cambridge and got a nice 1c 14k diamond ring.. So there is treasure there... Just to far for me to drive. And I was using the 6 inch coil on the CTX there was so much trash. And the only way you can get to CG is by boat....

OBN0379.jpg

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of trash where I hunt, but you have to dig trash to find treasure. Good luck & happy hunting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rivers, ponds and lakes are full of iron and aluminum. I use a Tesoro Tiger Shark so I can discriminate out the iron, and guess at the aluminum.:skullflag:

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rivers, ponds and lakes are full of iron and aluminum. I use a Tesoro Tiger Shark so I can discriminate out the iron, and guess at the aluminum.:skullflag:

There is just enough salt in the river to make single frequency VLFs go bonkers

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF THEYRE VIRGIN SPOTS - YOURE GONNA FIND SOME TRASH - IF THERE ARE GOODIES IN THERE TOO
AND IF A SPOT THAT IS NEAR BY AND YOU WOULD BE HITTING THERE ON A REGULAR BASIS - IF THERES GOLD
IN THERE ---THEN I'D WANT TO TAKE EVERYTHING OUT - SO IF YOU WERE TO USE A PI
HOPEFULLY YOU'D GET IT ALL
I USED TO USE A PI FROM 1995 TO ABOUT 2006 AND I CLEANED UP - TOOK ALL THE TRASH I COULD OUT AND GOT A LOT OF DEEP GOLD MISSED
BY OTHERS ---I NOW HUNT IN ALL METAL WITH MY CZ21 - IN TRASHY AREAS - I CLICK OVER TO ID MODE TO CHECK TARGETS AND CLICK RIGHT BACK TO ALL METAL
THIS IS NOT EVRYONES CUP OF TEA - BUT WORKS FOR ME
GOOD LUCK

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VLF...a pi machine will drive you crazy!! ....retrieving targets im a river is slow hard work and you will be retrieving every target with a pi to see what it is!

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna start out with a used sand shark and a good scoop to see if water hunting is for me or if anything is to be found for that matter. If gold rings but lots of trash start flying out then maybe an Excalibur or CZ21 next.

Sneakyweasel

Greenie
Apr 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lake hunt a lot and have found that the White's TDI PI does a bang-up job. The treasure/trash ratio seems to be roughly even vs it and the VLF/multifrquency units I've used.. just a different type of trash. What the TDI has, which the others lack, is a form of disc/ID down to full depth, which is deep indeed (with the TDI) in our heavily mineralized ground.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I went a similar route toasted, SS, Excal and now CTX. GL and SH...
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna start out with a used sand shark and a good scoop to see if water hunting is for me or if anything is to be found for that matter. If gold rings but lots of trash start flying out then maybe an Excalibur or CZ21 next.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread