May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just picked up a used excal II from a member of my local MD club. I am wondering if anyone has compared depth from the stock 10 coil to any of the after market coils? Is there a big difference in depth and for which aftermarket coils? I am mostly thinking this would be my beach machine as I have a CZ21 that I have for the water. So I am looking at the larger coils for the dry/wetsand.

Also, once kellyco does the mod, is the 10 inch coil ruined? Or can it be kept if you wanted to mod it back someday? I am thinking for resale someone would want extra coil options. I wasn't sure if they needed to cut it or they were able to unwire it in the box.

Additionally, what is the cost? I assume I pay shipping both ways + labor. I checked their website but didn't see. I did search the forums but wanted to make sure the prices were updated for 2016. And I assume I would want O-rings checked and such too...

Also, can anyone point me in a good direction on making a good straight shaft? I see tons of generic directions but if I did it, I would want to make it look nice. Maybe anderson is just the way I need to go. I prefer mounting it similar to this, the exact way I have my CZ21: http://www.treasureclassifieds.com/oc-content/uploads/2013/10/540.jpg

Now I need to decide if I want to do this. This detector is really in brand new shape and I feel bad modding it. I feel like I wouldn't feel bad if it were beat up but I don't think this one even has a scratch on it.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up a used excal II from a member of my local MD club. I am wondering if anyone has compared depth from the stock 10 coil to any of the after market coils? Is there a big difference in depth and for which aftermarket coils? I am mostly thinking this would be my beach machine as I have a CZ21 that I have for the water. So I am looking at the larger coils for the dry/wetsand.

Also, once kellyco does the mod, is the 10 inch coil ruined? Or can it be kept if you wanted to mod it back someday? I am thinking for resale someone would want extra coil options. I wasn't sure if they needed to cut it or they were able to unwire it in the box.

Additionally, what is the cost? I assume I pay shipping both ways + labor. I checked their website but didn't see. I did search the forums but wanted to make sure the prices were updated for 2016. And I assume I would want O-rings checked and such too...

Also, can anyone point me in a good direction on making a good straight shaft? I see tons of generic directions but if I did it, I would want to make it look nice. Maybe anderson is just the way I need to go. I prefer mounting it similar to this, the exact way I have my CZ21: http://www.treasureclassifieds.com/oc-content/uploads/2013/10/540.jpg

Now I need to decide if I want to do this. This detector is really in brand new shape and I feel bad modding it. I feel like I wouldn't feel bad if it were beat up but I don't think this one even has a scratch on it.

Depth depends on the coil you installed. I hit targets 15" to 20+" using my 15" coils hunting in all metal/pp mode..

Minelab Repair at Kellyco charges $75 to install coil plus cost of coil and return shipping if you don't furnish it. If coil that is removed is a good coil to begin with it is still a good coil after being removed.... Only a couple inches is cut off the end of the stock coil where it is sealed in the rosin in the end cap...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your attached video is not one of Tony's, but, the link has his.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I prefer and use the "rods by plugger" on eBay for a straight shaft. Mine is the 3 pc. carbon fiber one he offers for the Excal.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil wire setup on that stock 10 is sucking his sens ability... heh

Get it... :)... Sens ability :P

"Coil wire hang" is a sens sucker.

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big coil looks interesting. I used a WOT on my Sovereign on the beach and it got heavy and it was only the s shaft and coil. I think I had it a little to long for most the hunt. I ended up going back to the vehicle and changing it to the 10" BBS. It does not feel much heavy in the hands. But swinging it on the beach it felt a lot heavier. Good luck with what ever you decide to go with. I would like to have one on excal. I guess I need another excal, my wife almost fell down on my last purchase and it was used. :(

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Thanks all. I guess I need to do some research since there appears to be a number of coils to choose from and its a pretty permanent fixture:) I have a CZ21 10'' that I plan to use when I go in the water so this will be primarily be for beach only. Today my goal is to head to lowes and figure out how to construct a straight shaft!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I guess I need to do some research since there appears to be a number of coils to choose from and its a pretty permanent fixture:) I have a CZ21 10'' that I plan to use when I go in the water so this will be primarily be for beach only. Today my goal is to head to lowes and figure out how to construct a straight shaft!
If you're not going to dive with it, you can use waterproof connectors, making it possible to swap coils fairly easily. Some claim it will effect depth doing that, but, I haven't noticed any difference between my hardwired one and my connector one.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your test is flawed . I have an excel 2 with a 8" coil and find rings at 10 to 12" all Day long . Field test are no good unless the target has been in the ground for two or three Days.:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your test is flawed . I have an excel 2 with a 8" coil and find rings at 10 to 12" all Day long . Field test are no good unless the target has been in the ground for two or three Days.:icon_thumleft:
Spot on!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What may also come into play is where you are hunting and the salt content. Larger coils may need to be turned down..... which can reduce depth to about the same as the standard coil. I dont know how Kelleyco does their coil mods, but i suspect its cut just inside the cap rather than taking everything apart and resodering on the board. Like TH said, if the coil was good........ shes still good. You could even put a SOV connector on it and use it on a SOV.

OP
OP
A

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:

This is the wrong discussion but I will reply...Why is the test flawed? What conclusions were drawn that were incorrect? Why does a target need to be in the ground for 2-3 days? I can find targets dropped 5 minutes ago. You should tell all of people at the beach on sunday evening that they are wasting their time trying to find things dropped sat and that day because they need to be in the ground 2-3 days. If you are referring to the halo effect, that has nothing to do with my test or conclusions. Assuming there is a halo effect, a machine that air and ground tests 4 inches deeper than another machine in a certain environment will probably detect that halo 4 inches deeper in the same certain environment. But again, my test has nothing to do with that halo effect. I wasn't testing it.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He didn't say you can't find fresh drops, if you used fresh buried targets then it is flawed as you go deeper when targets have been buried longer...

I have been using and testing excals for 9 years, a 10" coil will hit buried targets at 12-13"+ in pp/all metal all day long if you turn your threshold down to barely audible, set sensitivity to manual adjust till stable and tune the detector......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What may also come into play is where you are hunting and the salt content. Larger coils may need to be turned down..... which can reduce depth to about the same as the standard coil. I dont know how Kelleyco does their coil mods, but i suspect its cut just inside the cap rather than taking everything apart and resodering on the board. Like TH said, if the coil was good........ shes still good. You could even put a SOV connector on it and use it on a SOV.

Minelab Repair at KELLYCO hardwires the coil to the mother board soldering directly to the motherboard.

Coil is installed in a new end cap with the power cable then new rosin is poured in the end cap till only the wires are visible, cable insulation is below the wires, this stops any water from getting in controls through the insulation if the cable insulation is ever compromised.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Treasure Hunter I couldn't have said it better

SpanishGold

Greenie
Dec 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kellyco will repair any machine they accept. They know what they are doing. Leave the questions to the amateurs and the answers to the professionals. I make my living detecting and I wouldn't go anywhere else. Any large company will have bad press; however, most people complaining want something for nothing.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i had to live on what i find......... id be in a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere lol. Congrats to you i thinks thats great. Thanks TH, now i know NOT to splice the wires INSIDE the tube. Andersons makes a very good CF shaft. Extremely light and very well made. I make mine ....... u can get CF tubes on line. But bike handle, tube and cuff...... about as cheap to buy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i had to live on what i find......... id be in a cardboard box under a bridge somewhere lol. Congrats to you i thinks thats great. Thanks TH, now i know NOT to splice the wires INSIDE the tube. Andersons makes a very good CF shaft. Extremely light and very well made. I make mine ....... u can get CF tubes on line. But bike handle, tube and cuff...... about as cheap to buy.

You mean you find enough to afford a cardboard box.... All I could afford is a newspaper to cover up with.....

It cost me $25 each to make my 2 straight shafts. I am going to either make or buy a 3 piece straight shaft for traveling on airline.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread