Hoard of Lead

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I went to the end of my local beach today, near the river mouth. People don't really hang out here except for after hours from the clubs. This is about a 300 yard stretch that isn't used for swimming or sun bathing. But I found out that 30 years ago this was an area where people would park on the beach and party. This entire beach area is kind of in a bay so it isn't really affected by the longshore drift.

The bay is heavily fished by locals in small (14 - 16 foot) wooden boats mostly using nets.

I discover that there is quite a lot of oil pollution in the and here. It makes sticky balls and it can be seen in the photo with my scoop. What looks like a little rock overhang is actually oil in the sand with a few rocks mixed in. :-(

So I start in this area and spent six hours digging all of this lead, a few copper and brass pieces and a couple of washers. All from in this little area shown in the photo with the scoop. The deepest target was about 14 inches. The shell and small rock/gravel layer starts at about 6 inches. The larger rocks were all basically on the surface.

Is this where I should expect to find gold? Is this where it would accumulate over time along with all this lead?

The keys, pulltabs etc. were found in a shell line just below the previous high tide mark. Would lighter jewelry also be found here or do you think that these items were dropped in this area?

I did not get all of the lead yet. The tide came in and my BH SS2 can't handle the saltwater. It barely works in the wet sand.
So I am just exploring for when I get to bring my CZ21 to this spot.

The map of the area is at https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-26.9864362,-48.6171783,14z?hl=en

The red diamond at the bottom of the location photo below shows where I was hunting.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Attachments

• location.png
    location.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 20160525_130407.png
    20160525_130407.png
    430.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 20160525_165854.png
    20160525_165854.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 20160525_165905.png
    20160525_165905.png
    322 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have a lot of work ahead of you. I think you should find something good out of all of the area.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
your doin everything right, your finding heavy targets, if it beeps digi it, it will pay off. keep up the good work and cant wait to see some of your finds, wish i was there. Any problems with locals????

OP
OP

Feb 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your doin everything right, your finding heavy targets, if it beeps digi it, it will pay off. keep up the good work and cant wait to see some of your finds, wish i was there. Any problems with locals????

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. No, this area is super safe. Lots of people want to talk (my Portuguese is kind of poor) or drop a ring or coin to see/hear what it does. But when I was digging these big holes no one even got close to me. :-)

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is just that and I only have a couple of years experience. But since you provided the google map I took a stroll down the street. Looking at areas I would think would be more productive. You can see several areas where people were swimming and laying in the sun. Look like volley is played there too. I would move to those areas, which seems to be in the center of the beach. I'm a fisherman by heart too and sometimes we like to get away from the crowds not wanting to cause anybody any harm. If we were hunting together, I would be saying come on Top/Bro lets go to the most popular spots there should be more deposit there. Probably been popular for many years. Please keep us updated and good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Feb 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My opinion is just that and I only have a couple of years experience. But since you provided the google map I took a stroll down the street. Looking at areas I would think would be more productive. You can see several areas where people were swimming and laying in the sun. Look like volley is played there too. I would move to those areas, which seems to be in the center of the beach. I'm a fisherman by heart too and sometimes we like to get away from the crowds not wanting to cause anybody any harm. If we were hunting together, I would be saying come on Top/Bro lets go to the most popular spots there should be more deposit there. Probably been popular for many years. Please keep us updated and good luck.

You made some great observations. I have hunted those areas heavily and come away with a few coins and some junk jewelry. Oh, and Matchbox cars. Much of the area in front of the island doesn't have dry fluffy sand. High tide goes right to the seawall. So there are no daily drops there. If you drop it, you or someone else picks it up. It is now low season and that is one reason I decided to hunt in this older and less used area. There aren't any people really hanging out at the beach right now.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That is the most lead I have ever seen dug!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your gonna love the CZ-21.:thumbsup:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at your map and your finds, looks like you found the secret fishing hot spot. Think on the order of lots of people night fishing, spilling their tackle boxes etc. If they're dropping weights from their pockets & tackle boxes, they're dropping coins lighters and other goodies. Keep working it & you'll be showing us some best finds quality stuff soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions