Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an Excalibur 2 while beach hunting and was wondering which scoop would be the
best in water or wet to packed sand areas. I was looking at some Stealth has and have
talked with Chuck at the shop and he is steering me towards the 920 ix X-treme. I have come
to the conclusion that this scoop may be great for in water, but wet sand way to heavy of
a load to handle. @ 66 yrs. old maybe.... Any thoughts, advice, would be appreciated since
I need help with deciding on this. I want the scoop to drain fast, and be stout enough to
dig in shell areas...In other words, the best of both worlds is what I am looking for.

Thanks,
Dennis

Upvote 0

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You cant go wrong either way. So get one and be happy with it. When I got mine I was looking for width, so I went with the 9'' over the 7''. As far as upgrades I didn't get any but I wish I would of gotten the rugged back for my foot when I dig.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dennis: For water hunting, you want to use a scoop which gives you the highest probabiiity of being able to retrieve a target on the first scoop, as well as being able to rapidly drain it if you miss the target on the first scoop.

As you are searching with a 10" DD search coil, the width of your search basket should be 9 inches or more and the drain holes one half inch or more. I would go with an open stainless steel basket as it cuts through hard pack easier and the half inch drain holes are more closely spaced (more holes) than in
an a aluminum enclosed scoop.

You would be able to lift hard pack wet sand, which as you already know is very heavy, with a lift assist.
However, i would only do this as a last resort to get away from incoming tide.
And that would be after pulling back on the handle of the scoop to break it free and dragging it to
where you want it to ( no lift, no sift) - just skid.

Then rotate the basket (point down) 90 degrees to empty the scoop - might have to jerk a little
so that the hard pack falls away. Then use your foot to spread the dumped wet sand, mud, clay what ever
as long as there are no sharps out with you foot to find and retrieve target.

Oops - should sweep coil over area where you will be dragging loaded scoop to to to make sure that it is clean first.

By modifying your technique, you get the best of both worlds.

If you will only be hunting wet sand, and need to sift I would use a smaller width scoop - six inch max, five inch better.

I use an Excalibur 2 while beach hunting and was wondering which scoop would be the
best in water or wet to packed sand areas. I was looking at some Stealth has and have
talked with Chuck at the shop and he is steering me towards the 920 ix X-treme. I have come
to the conclusion that this scoop may be great for in water, but wet sand way to heavy of
a load to handle. @ 66 yrs. old maybe.... Any thoughts, advice, would be appreciated since
I need help with deciding on this. I want the scoop to drain fast, and be stout enough to
dig in shell areas...In other words, the best of both worlds is what I am looking for.

Thanks,
Dennis

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks,
Dennis
If total weight is a concern, take a smaller slug of sand to start out. Once you get your arm built up a bit, you can take a bigger bite.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The narrower the width and the sharper the tip (eurotip) , the easier it is to penetrate hard pack sand.
I have an earlier designed Stealth 720i which is 15 inches long, I knicknamed the stilleto.
This open stainless steel basket with one half inch drain holes drains well and is ideal for working close to / between rocks because of it
angulare design.

I have not had any structual problems with it, even though I have not sent it back (recalled) - needs more bracing.
Chuck has discontinued this design, the current 720i has a shorter basket - the longer length basket can be more easily damaged.

The only problem I have, has been being sliced by my own scoop, fiilet of sole.
I was not able to control it as the bracing at the top of the strip is flat offer resistance to water pushing against it.
Reinforcing the top bracing would only make it worse as there would be more surface area for currents/water to push against.
Increasing the bracing would further increase its drag in the water.

I strongly believe that the round bracing of the tubular design is superior of use under strong current / surge conditions.
I definitely wish, the tubular design was available when I purchased mine.

Under less rocky conditions, where fast drainage is not as important, in areas with smaller valuable targets, I prefer to use the wide basket shield tip T Rex water scoop with the narrower rectangular grid holes, especially in areas with thin lead jig sinkers which fall through the wider one half inch holes - drives you nuts!.

I think it will be no problem for me either, but you mentioned the 9 or 10 for water or wet sand, but then again up near high tide area where
it may get a bit harder with shells and rocks, the question is: is the 920 too big for that area?? I guess at that point I could unfold a 6 inch scoop out of my pocket
and go to town... This is why I ask, best all around, for water, sand, and shell and rock areas....If a person knew he wasn't going to hunt anything but the water or wet sand the
9 or 10 would undoubtedly be the way to go, it just might not be the ticket for the harder areas. Thanks for the help!!!

Post Script: I can probably agree, that maybe the 920 could be used in the harder areas also, but that's a lot of scoop to push in that gravel.... I guess??

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I hunted with the "Allegedly " stout TRex 9.5 and it was junk. HEAVY JUNK. I went and got a Stealth 920ix and the Carbon fiber handle and WOW!!!! is all I can say. Digs fast. Cleans well. So far it's VERY durable and with the foot pad design its VERY comfortable while pushing with your foot. Some might get detoured by the initial $$$ but you get what you pay for....

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted with the "Allegedly " stout TRex 9.5 and it was junk. HEAVY JUNK. I went and got a Stealth 920ix and the Carbon fiber handle and WOW!!!! is all I can say. Digs fast. Cleans well. So far it's VERY durable and with the foot pad design its VERY comfortable while pushing with your foot. Some might get detoured by the initial $$$ but you get what you pay for....

jeepGold,

I just got through pulling the trigger on my purchase from Sunspot, Stealth scoops. I ordered the 720i w/tube mount, rear hybrid option, super rugged option, with the Carbon fiber handle.
Like you say here, they don't grow on trees, that's for sure... (total cost- $410 with the $24 included for shipping UPS.) I appreciate all of you for your suggestions and help.

The DW and myself will be loading the RV and heading to the coast (as usual) Sunday for a month of traveling.
Maybe that gold coin on OBX... Wouldn't that be sweet....Pay for the scoop all in one lucky hit....dream on Dennis :)

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
On scooping, one tip I learned was to scoop the target, move the scoop away, and sweep again with coil. If the target is gone, then it's in the scoop and then you can dump & spread it on shore, of lift the scoop a little off the bottom and shake it to lessen the load. When it's light you can bring it up out of the water and find the target in the scoop.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
If you will only be hunting wet sand, and need to sift I would use a smaller width scoop - six inch max, five inch better.

Sifting wetsand sounds like torture:BangHead:

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On scooping, one tip I learned was to scoop the target, move the scoop away, and sweep again with coil. If the target is gone, then it's in the scoop and then you can dump & spread it on shore, of lift the scoop a little off the bottom and shake it to lessen the load. When it's light you can bring it up out of the water and find the target in the scoop.

Deepseeker,

Thanks for the advice on scooping technique, been there and done that a million times. Just really haven't done a whole lot of trough hunting, maybe shallow quite a bit, but
wave blasting, not so much....this is a thing that many on here have mastered, maybe I can only hope to try a bit and not be dragged off by a shark!!!!!

Thanks again,
Dennis

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sifting wetsand sounds like torture:BangHead:

I was always proud when the slug of wet sand would finally exit my aluminum scoop!!!!!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not Junk! - Proven Design

I purchased the TRex 9.5 inch wide open stainless steel basket with rectangular 3/8 inch drain slots with shield type tip when it first came out and have been more than satisified with the quality and performance of this stand up water scoop as well as with the service of the dealer (DeMarco) who I purchased it from.
I prefer to use this scoop where valuable targets are often found, as one is less likely to damage a target with a wider scoop and if accidently hit do less damage to a target with a shield type tip than a sharply pointed Vish Eurotip. Further smaller targets/chains/narrow lead jig sinkers are less likely to fall through the narrower drain slot when sifting.

I found it easier to place and push against the wider back of the TREX, finding it a better all around scoop for my use (dry sand, wet sand, shallow water).

I also purchased a stealth 720i 7in wide, 15 Inch long open stainless steel basket with one half inch holes for
optimum drainage with an agressive eurotip (sharp V) for evaluation. I found it much harder to place this scoop in the right place for target for retrieval as well as keeping balance. This standup water scoop is ideal for where you need to go for ma ximum depth, have to punch through heavy shelled areas, work near rocks, maximum drainage. I can also buy a longer handle for it to push back to shore if I accidently step into a hole ' get in too deep.

The manufacture of the 15 inch long of a basket was discontinued, as a result of returned failures from the field. The one I purchased was recalled (no cost) for additional bracking. I did not return it, as I was having difficulty holding this scoop in place where there were strong currents / surges from the water pushing against the flat bracing strip. Adding additional strips to reinforce the scoop would increase the drag.

The round tubular bracing is a better design as it offers less resistance to water from strong currents / wave surges pushing against it. I am not worried as I know that Chuck will make it right (hopely replace all flat bracing with tubular rods (one of a kind modification) or offer some type of trade in / swap if not cost effective.

I suspect that the problem you have had with the TREX is that they tried to reduce the weight (it is a heavier basket) which should be adressed to the manufacturer so that it can be corrected.

I am sorry for your inconveince and that you are frustrated, but I do not appreciate your referring to a scoop
that I and seasoned treasure hunters use as junk, as it reflects negatively on our choices and experience.

Worse - it does nothing to correct the problem, which obviously needs correction. We need more and better alternatives - one scoop, no matter how good will not do it all!

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
jeepGold,

I just got through pulling the trigger on my purchase from Sunspot, Stealth scoops. I ordered the 720i w/tube mount, rear hybrid option, super rugged option, with the Carbon fiber handle.
Like you say here, they don't grow on trees, that's for sure... (total cost- $410 with the $24 included for shipping UPS.) I appreciate all of you for your suggestions and help.

The DW and myself will be loading the RV and heading to the coast (as usual) Sunday for a month of traveling.
Maybe that gold coin on OBX... Wouldn't that be sweet....Pay for the scoop all in one lucky hit....dream on Dennis :)

Great choice on the 720i. I believe you will love it and it should last you a long time. The CF handle makes it a joy to use.
Best of luck out there!

OP
OP
RVRoamer73

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully agree that you need more than one scoop to beach detect, but I was trying to find out from the most knowledgeable beach hunters in the WORLD, if you
had to go into your scoop collection and pick ONE scoop to be your "keeper" which scoop would you would pick to be your "best all around beach scoop".

The 720i that I have picked may not be the answer, that's true, but I am trying to get as close as I can to the "ONE" scoop I possibly could get by with
in most situations.

It is a hard question to answer for sure. But I would find it interesting in knowing which scoop some of you would choose as your "best all around beach scoop".
This is the reason I have asked this question, I knew I was in the right place to ask it. Just a FUN question...Hard choice to make....

Thanks for making this Thread informative reading,
Dennis

Last edited:

shinythings1

Greenie
Jun 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting for just over a year... I have a 720i as well... I cant see any reason to use another scoop... When I need to go deep, this thing can do it.... when I need to cherry pick sand right on the top, this thing can do it... I love its design, I love the pointed front and the bracing.... You do have to be careful with it in the water though... :) Learned that lesson once...

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
True but you also forgot to dig one more time if it's not in the scoop and you don't hear it anymore. It will sometimes lay over in such a way that it's not read by your machine. Always dig one more time. Esp when you're in the water

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I hunt with a 17" coil usually and it halo's a bit and is harder to PP than with my excal. I bought the 920ix because it has a bigger bite and makes it WAY easier to get what your after.
I've been detecting for just over a year... I have a 720i as well... I cant see any reason to use another scoop... When I need to go deep, this thing can do it.... when I need to cherry pick sand right on the top, this thing can do it... I love its design, I love the pointed front and the bracing.... You do have to be careful with it in the water though... :) Learned that lesson once...

Mel_n_Rob

May 21, 2016
Oakdale, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Go Find 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made my own (for now anyways), I made 2 of them for under 30 bucks and they work pretty good so far (for what we need at this point), will add more strength to them at the bracket, have a feeling the 4 screws won't last long with the heavy sand around these parts but all in all they work pretty good. Will take more pics with the handles attached.
Just an idea for anyone on a budget.
20160602_151124.jpg 20160602_151136.jpg 20160602_151143.jpg 20160602_151204.jpg

shinythings1

Greenie
Jun 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with a 17" coil usually and it halo's a bit and is harder to PP than with my excal. I bought the 920ix because it has a bigger bite and makes it WAY easier to get what your after.

I could see the need with a bigger coil for a bigger scoop... I have a 10" so the 7" scoop seems to work. Yeah I may have to dig an extra hole or two, but I find if I'm hunting the wet sand, my 7" is tough to lift full... can't imagine the 9"... lol...

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not as much as you would expect!
Usually, designers reduce the length of the basket as they increase the width of the basket to reduce the volume of wet sand, which is heavy, is lifted.

I could see the need with a bigger coil for a bigger scoop... I have a 10" so the 7" scoop seems to work. Yeah I may have to dig an extra hole or two, but I find if I'm hunting the wet sand, my 7" is tough to lift full... can't imagine the 9"... lol...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True but you also forgot to dig one more time if it's not in the scoop and you don't hear it anymore. It will sometimes lay over in such a way that it's not read by your machine. Always dig one more time. Esp when you're in the water
That's a great tip...when Im digging a deep target and after several scoops it disappears, I take one more scoop in the hole and get the "missing" target every time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread