Set up help Please.

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
BH Shooter II, AT Pro, Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the end of the month I plan to go beach hunting in CT for they first time. I have an AT Pro. I know that this is not the ideal detector for the beach. Can anyone suggestion any settings that I should use to help me make the best of it ? Should I use different settings when on the dry beach vs when I am in knee deep water ? Thank you for ANY help/suggestions.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hopefully some At Pro guys will help with machine - be aware that lot of Ct bchs are charging and they charge around $20 to $40 for parking in summer

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry sand can usually take Pro mode and a high sensitivity setting. In the wet or water, you usually have to take it out of Pro and turn down the sens setting. I can't give you exact settings because every beach is a little different on conditions. You'll just have to play with it a bit to get the max performance without falsing.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only used one at the beach one time and it was ok at best. I got it ground balanced in wet sand down to around 15. It ran pretty stable but I also didn't dig much there.
I know Lookingdown says he uses standard mode over pro mode on his at the beach and does well with it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you have good luck.:occasion14: Wear mirrored sunglasses for the eye candy when hunting.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the wet sand and water use auto ground balance and it should balance at around 11 to 15... I take it down a couple of numbers manually, say if it auto balances at 13, I drop it to 11... hunt in standard mode... zero setting...sensitivity at 5 bars and go up to 6 if its not falsing and down to 4 if it is...you will have to re balance if you go from the the dry to the wet...mine works good here in Florida but our beaches are mild, some beaches it doesn't work well...good luck and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
F

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
BH Shooter II, AT Pro, Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank u all for the great info,, im looking forward to trying the different settings,, as i mostly do coin shooting i dont change them too much,, well off to the dollar store to ge me some " mirrord sunglasses " :)

Last edited:

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, mine died after taking it in the beach water.

Pro zero
Gb 9-13
Sens 4 bars down from max
Iron Audio on
Discrimination 35

Performance was "meh" at best.

But if it's your only option, get out there and get swingin with it!

Dry sand was just as crappy as wet sand for me, had to use the same settings, but then of course the detector did die afterwards so who knows when the performance was beginning to be compromised during the hunt

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro