NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white's PIs don't - just turn on and go
though my CZ21s say to ground balance - I don't - just leave the same way and turn on and go and I get great depth :dontknow:
if you try and ground balance and do it wrong - I believe you can lose depth

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, you need to Ground Balance Gold Nugget PI machines. Beach PI machines are pre-set at the factory to known saltwater tolerances. Land soils fluctuate wildly in conductivity and mineralization, so the ability to ground balance is desirable. Check out this class at the Minelab Training Facility.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
On utube there is a video about metal detector comparisons where the Garrett ATX was not ground balanced to achieve max depth on a target attached to a ruler buried 18" in the wet sand. Must you ground balance all PI units for use under normal conditions?

Only ones with ground balance.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
The Garrett ATX is so deep anyway that I normally ground balance to get a quieter machine. The loss in depth is less of a consideration than a smooth quiet threshold.

My White's Dual Field has no provision for ground balancing (but a Great machine)

Joe

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
It all depends on what you consider NORMAL CONDITIONS. One beach can be different from another. My "normal" is for Cape Cod and I start with a Factory Reset, Frequency Scan, NO GB, Discrimination at 3 LEDs on, SENSITIVITY at 8. Slight adjustments in SENS. will keep my ATX running smooth. At a few beaches on the CAPE, where there is a heavy concentration of "Hot Rocks", I GB with the coil centered over the Hot Rock. Works for me.

A very find explanation by Steve Herschbach can be read at:
Garrett ATX Review - Beach Detecting In Hawaii - Garrett ATX Metal Detector - DetectorProspector.com

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many people on here that talk about the ATX really own one ? I do and you do not have to GB this detector to get great depth .All you need is very good scoop because it go's deeper than hell !! I have given up on target because they are to deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions