CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's your set up...

..as far as getting into/out of your water gear? Changing into dry shorts, etc in the truck is not usually an issue, but changing from wet shorts, wetsuit etc back into dry clothing for the ride home is challenging. Unless you have a van to change in. There aren't always changing rooms or rest rooms to slip into. And being caught au naturel is not something I want to try (I'm happy with my body, but others may not be :tongue3:). Not too mention the wet sandy stuff.

I was thinking of a hula hoop and shower curtain hanging from one of my ladders that is always on my truck. What's your routine?

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear lycra or body armour or bike shorts under my bathing trunks - under my wet suit
I have a dry shirt ready - get out of wet suit - take shirt off - quick towel down - put dry shirt on
- take wet trunks off and just keep the body armour on wet - they are tight and don't hold much water usually
i'll bring a pair of day old shorts and put on over - you may still be slightly damp - I put a beach blanket or large towel down on car seat
have done it this way for like 20 yrs ---don't get me wrong - if theres a changing room available - will just get changed into dry stuff
but wont if I plan on another hunt before I go home

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if my gal goes with me to a spot that has no changing facilities and she wants to hit a spot to eat on way home - i'll just change in passenger seat as we drive - just need to make sure she keeps her eyes on the road
- if I wear bike shorts under my suit - I can also just sit out on blanket and dry for awhile if its hot and sunny out - take in the other sights but also do recon to see where people go
I believe a lot of hunters - that like me hunt sunrise lows - never hang much when the people show up to see exactly where they go and they hang
most times in summer my gal will go with me and she wants to get a tan - so I will hang after the hunt for her and check things out

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I just dry off as best as I can, then sit on dry towels in the car.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Most surfers and swimmers here in Southern Cal. Do a towel change. Wrap a big beach towel around their waist, pull off wet shorts, put on dry ones.
See this everyday at my local beaches. ( just make sure the towel doesn't fall off - people can't UN-see that) :laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just slip off wetsuit, when it's cold enough to wear one and my swimsuit is virtually dry in a coupe minutes.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a drysuit freak, I wear one even when it's warm. Just step in, boots on and zip......... then come out of the water, unzip, boots off and step out. Fully dressed, T and shorts...............Then I wash the drysuit off once home and let it dry in the shade.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Most surfers and swimmers here in Southern Cal. Do a towel change. Wrap a big beach towel around their waist, pull off wet shorts, put on dry ones.
See this everyday at my local beaches. ( just make sure the towel doesn't fall off - people can't UN-see that) :laughing7:
Lol! I was going to say the same thing. When I used to surf down at Bolsa we would do the towel wrap and I've lost that towel a couple of times!

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's your routine?

I guess I'm spoiled. I walk across the street, rinse the sand off in the outside showers. Go upstairs and take a shower and change.
The few times I go to another beach I just sit for a few minutes and dry off before heading home.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
water boots with some cotton socks to swell up inside for a nice fit. Swim shorts that dry quickly, Keys minus the remote attached to my pro swing 45 harness with a lockable D ring. T shirt or Hoodie. Beanie or ball cap. Scuba mesh pouch on the harness and a retractable lanyard for the pinpointer. Usually keep the phone in the truck but if I bring it it's in a water proof case.
When Im done hunting I walk to the water, rinse off my gear and don't get it sandy anymore. Put the back seat up and lay everything down on a tarp or wrap it in a trash bag. I throw the boots in the bed.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its just that simple...towel is all you need...gallon or two of water to wash off with...we have showers at all the beaches we hunt but not all have bathrooms to change in.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several bathrooms where I hunt, but there is no way that I would change in them.
They are magnets for drifters and the homeless to hang loose / chill out - especially those with lighting at when it is dark. Besides risking infection, if you step on the floor barefoot
there is the potential danger of being punctured from sharps, cut by broken glass, or stepping into just plain nastiness.

Even if you see no one in the restroom, you are vulnerable once inside as there is only one entrance/exit, which can easily be blocked. As I hunt alone, I only I carry only what I need for the hunt, no spare anything, not even different size coils, as I am seldom more than a few miles away from where I stay.

it is crucial that anything valuable be kept out of site (before you get to your destination).
Don't try to hide it where you park, as someone may be watching for an opportunity, which you have made obvious by trying to hide it. In addition to having to replace what was stolen, there will be the additonal cost and incovenience of having to repair damage they did to the vehicle to gain entry: broken window, sprung trunk.

If you think of your self, as a manican displaying thousands of dollars doing a robo dance while hunting.
Then think of a person down on their luck trying to survive in theese challanging times, or worse an addict needing a fix you will get my drift and not let your gaurd down.

The last item that I remove is my highly visible Japaneese Hoary Hoary (Diggy Diggy) knife slung across my chest in a bright orange holder - Rambo Style. And it is only removed when my vehickle is in motion (windows up - doors locked) while I am driving away from the beach.

Once in motion, remain in motion (especially when you are carrying valuable items in the open bed of a pick up truck. Be aware that oppertunists often work in pairs and that it is it is very easy for an accomplish to remove those valuable items without your discovering it when you try to clean your equipment which was stolen while you were distracted.

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I wear lycra or body armour or bike shorts under my bathing trunks - under my wet suit

This if I have a wetsuit on. Otherwise I have a bathing suit on that should dry in a few minutes of being in the sun.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I have a dry shirt ready - get out of wet suit - take shirt off - quick towel down - put dry shirt on
- take wet trunks off and just keep the body armour on wet - they are tight and don't hold much water usually
i'll bring a pair of day old shorts and put on over - you may still be slightly damp - I put a beach blanket or large towel down on car seat
have done it this way for like 20 yrs ---don't get me wrong - if theres a changing room available - will just get changed into dry stuff
but wont if I plan on another hunt before I go home

So your wearing bike shorts as rash quards?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread